Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Broadband in Donegal

Options
  • 01-07-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭

Have just been onto this crowd - they're offering 70 Mbps as opposed to my current <3Mbps with Vodafone. Afaik, it's done via a signal from the local radio/tv mast (not v technical, sorry).

It's €59.99 per month which is €20 dearer than my current ****ty service and €100 for installation. I'd be inclined to go for it if I thought it was worth it.

Anyone get this installed or have any advice for me? Are there alternatives with a more reasonable price? I'm in the Finn Valley area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their "70" is probably going to be similar to whatever figure Vodafone will tell you is theorethically possible - either 36 or 72. I would insist on an on-site demonstration of speed before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apart from the likes of satellite BB which is expensive I dont think there's any other alternatives for rural areas just now. The government have a rural broadband scheme planned/in progress for the county but I heard all that before though.

Are you too far out of the town to get anything faster than 3mb by fixed line?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I enquired with them as their service seemed very good.

Unfortunately they don't cover my area, yet.

As previously said, I would take the "up to 70" with a large pinch of salt. Most of us in Donegal know the story of BlueBox superfast broadband from NWE in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

They will be transmitting from Mongorry Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I was on to them as well, if it's fast enough for Netflix I'd be happy. Haven't made up my mind yet if I really need it enough to pay €60 a month though.

• Advertisement

I only had about a 30 second look at their website but is there not something about a home phone included in the deal? I mighn't have read the details correctly.

I've got their Wimax product. I'm getting about 6 to 10 mb and it's fast enough for Netflix so I'd guess that the faster LTE serrvice will handle it no problem.

We also get a phone line as part of the deal, with free national calls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Its not yet available in Donegal despite the BS spouted on their site about being live in your area. I ordered 5 weeks ago and still waiting. Its also an extra €50 on your first bill for the installer visit. Never mentioned then when I placed my order, so I will of course be disputing it.

Mongorry Hill in Raphoe is expected to actually be live mid July.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 just_manu

Hi all, just spotted this thread. Have been following the 'Imagine Fibre Broadband' thread since I signed up for this about 5 weeks ago! Heard nothing since.
    Seems that imagine are planning to commission loads of sites around the country in mid July! They must have an army of installers ready for mid July all waiting to pounce!

Did any of you have the old disastrous Irish Broadband / imagine service? I think it was called ripwave or something?? I had it up to about a year ago. It was much quicker to get information in a newspaper than use the service provided by imagine!
    I moved to 3 broadband (which is meant to be 4g but ain't!).

I was very happy to see LTE coming to Mongorry, but, after reading the other thread, I really hope they don't
    rip the arse out of it by over subscribing again!!

Tireeterror, I was told that it was up and running and there was a test team trying it out too. I did the same as you and asked if I could be one of the test group and they said they already had what they needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

muffler wrote: »
    I only had about a 30 second look at their website but is there not something about a home phone included in the deal? I mighn't have read the details correctly.

I asked them about it, unlimited national calls (Not really unlimited as 60-minute limit on single calls :D but still) on calls are included in the €60 a month.

• Advertisement

I was just on to Imagine CS to see how the "roll out" was going and when it would be up and running on Mongorry. (I signed up on May 31st !)
    They said it was up and running since last week and install teams are flat out installing.
    They said the scheduling team are calling people to arrange install and that he was sending a mail to the scheduling team to give me a call today. Hopefully I will get an install date.... Will post here on any update I get.

Have any of you heard of any installs being done over that last week?
    Looks like it may actually be starting to move forward... am eagerly waiting to hear of some speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrsinister75

just_manu wrote: »
    I was just on to Imagine CS to see how the "roll out" was going and when it would be up and running on Mongorry. (I signed up on May 31st !)
    They said it was up and running since last week and install teams are flat out installing.
    They said the scheduling team are calling people to arrange install and that he was sending a mail to the scheduling team to give me a call today. Hopefully I will get an install date.... Will post here on any update I get.

Have any of you heard of any installs being done over that last week?
    Looks like it may actually be starting to move forward... am eagerly waiting to hear of some speeds!

hi i signed up 3 weeks ago and phoned them at the end of week one as i did not get any communication from them and was told i would get a email and welcome package so after 2 weeks still no email or welcome package so i phoned customer care and was told that it was not yet active and i would have have to wait until mid july then out of the blue today i got a call to say they have a install space open tomorrow so i will post speeds and ping tomorrow.oh i am on the killygordon side of convoy.

hi i signed up 3 weeks ago and phoned them at the end of week one as i did not get any communication from them and was told i would get a email and welcome package so after 2 weeks still no email or welcome package so i phoned customer care and was told that it was not yet active and i would have have to wait until mid july then out of the blue today i got a call to say they have a install space open tomorrow so i will post speeds and ping tomorrow.oh i am on the killygordon side of convoy.

Great, must be really starting to roll it out so.
    Will be waiting patiently to see what speeds you get.
    Am in Drumkeen with line of sight to Mongorry so fingers crossed its decent.

I saw their vans at the Clanree Hotel a few weeks ago, so they must have been based there when setting up Mongorry? This afternoon I saw the same vans at the Frontier Hotel in Bridgend so maybe they're setting up a mast in Inishowen.

Technique wrote: »
    I saw their vans at the Clanree Hotel a few weeks ago, so they must have been based there when setting up Mongorry? This afternoon I saw the same vans at the Frontier Hotel in Bridgend so maybe they're setting up a mast in Inishowen.
    Are they using their own vans i.e. with their own logo and name?

Its just that I was passing through Raphoe today and seen at least 5 KN networks vans there.

I got a call from Imagine cust care and they are installing tomorrow sometime between 9 and 1pm.
    Fingers crossed!!

Are they using their own vans i.e. with their own logo and name?

Its just that I was passing through Raphoe today and seen at least 5 KN networks vans there.

Yes, Imagine LTE branding. About 4 Transit-sized vans.

I think the KN Networks guys do work for Eir(com), don't they?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think the KN Networks guys do work for Eir(com), don't they?
    They do....and Sky also. Not sure but Vodafone may also use them but Im open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrsinister75

Great, must be really starting to roll it out so.
    Will be waiting patiently to see what speeds you get.
    Am in Drumkeen with line of sight to Mongorry so fingers crossed its decent.

got it installed this morning and have to say i am very happy with it.i did a speed test 4 times over the last 2 hour and the lowest i got is 55mb down 7mb up and the best i got was 81mb down and 7up. ping is 20 to 35ms so it is good for gaming or streaming hd video.

• Advertisement

got it installed this morning and have to say i am very happy with it.i did a speed test 4 times over the last 2 hour and the lowest i got is 55mb down 7mb up and the best i got was 81mb down and 7up. ping is 20 to 35ms so it is good for gaming or streaming hd video.
    Thats great news. long may it continue :)

Keep us updated with your speeds over the coming weeks and months if you can, as I am sure there will be plenty of us considering this crowd in the future.

You know, Im on fibre in the twin towns and I get a fairly steady speed of 57mb down so you're on the pigs back with that. Might be a few euro more than Im paying (€50/month) but you have damned good speeds and I think you also have some phone minutes included in the package. All in all Im sure you're happy with that.

Ok, I too got installed after lunch. The guys were quick helpful and friendly.
    He showed me his speed through his wired connection to the router and he was getting 96meg download and 8 up!! Fantastic. !!!
    Then I tried my phone connected over wifi and was getting around 15 / 20 down and 4 up.
    I have since tried on my laptop over wifi but only get between 30 and 40 down!

Surely the wifi should not be cutting it down that low??
    I know you lose speed over wifi but a 50% loss seems excessive? Anyone else got this?
    (Don't get me wrong, either way am much better off than I was and very happy to get up and running)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wifi can lose even more than that. No ISP ever guarantees wireless speeds.

A lot of devices are unable to braek 72mbits, some 54mbits; and that assumes there is nothing else using the wireless at the time as well as perfect signal.

Upgrading your wireless card on your laptop may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thanks for the input, guys. Am seriously considering it, as we have iPads, phones, laptops, tv all trying to work off current crappy connection. After pulling out my Vodafone paperwork, though, I've just realised I've another 6 months to run on their contract, so breaking that is going to add the expense of installation and the new service. Am worried though if I wait the service will be oversubscribed by the time I get to it.

Muffler, no other option I'm afraid, BB is through the phone line off the Killygordon exchange which I'm pretty far away from. Looked into bluebox a few years ago, but didn't go for it.

Muffler, no other option I'm afraid, BB is through the phone line off the Killygordon exchange which I'm pretty far away from. Looked into bluebox a few years ago, but didn't go for it.

Probably a wise move.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CrazyEight

Ok, I too got installed after lunch. The guys were quick helpful and friendly.
    He showed me his speed through his wired connection to the router and he was getting 96meg download and 8 up!! Fantastic. !!!
    Then I tried my phone connected over wifi and was getting around 15 / 20 down and 4 up.
    I have since tried on my laptop over wifi but only get between 30 and 40 down!

Surely the wifi should not be cutting it down that low??
    I know you lose speed over wifi but a 50% loss seems excessive? Anyone else got this?
    (Don't get me wrong, either way am much better off than I was and very happy to get up and running)

Hard wired to modem will always give you higher speed, wifi depends on a number of things ie distance, obstacles, but mainly the wireless card in your device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 CrazyEight

They do....and Sky also. Not sure but Vodafone may also use them but Im open to correction on that.

Kn install for all providers on the telephone network. Although with vdsl installs they only do the cab work for sky and then sky send out their sierra techs to do the in home work.

Advertisement