Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Broadband in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

CrazyEight wrote: »
    Kn install for all providers on the telephone network. Although with vdsl installs they only do the cab work for sky and then sky send out their sierra techs to do the in home work.
    A guy from KN networks hooked up my Sky fibre so Sierra weren't in the loop at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CrazyEight

muffler wrote: »
    A guy from KN networks hooked up my Sky fibre so Sierra weren't in the loop at all.

Was it a new connection or upgrade?

CrazyEight wrote: »
    Was it a new connection or upgrade?
    Upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CrazyEight

Upgrade.

Kn will normally only do a line provide if theres no existing line or vdsl cab work if just an upgrade and then if theres any issues a kn tech will then call out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

At Mongorry hill there appear to be 3 masts. One tower near the road which is relatively low, the really big single pole antenna and another slightly higher tower a little further away from the road.

Does anyone know which one Imagine are using? Is it the really tall single pole or one of the towers which have loads of stuff all over them?

I can see the huge single pole and the most northerly tower from my house, but the tower nearest the road at Mongorry is hidden by the forest.

• Advertisement

At Mongorry hill there appear to be 3 masts. One tower near the road which is relatively low, the really big single pole antenna and another slightly higher tower a little further away from the road.

Does anyone know which one Imagine are using? Is it the really tall single pole or one of the towers which have loads of stuff all over them?

I can see the huge single pole and the most northerly tower from my house, but the tower nearest the road at Mongorry is hidden by the forest.
    No idea, sorry, but Google street view shows what was there 5 years ago. I would assume that Imagine didnt put up a new mast/transmitter (or whatever its called) but used an existing one.

No idea, sorry, but Google street view shows what was there 5 years ago. I would assume that Imagine didnt put up a new mast/transmitter (or whatever its called) but used an existing one.

I drove up, I was up that way getting some parts for my Land Rover, so thought I might as well have a sneak peak!

The single pole is huge, its way way way higher than the towers, Id say about 2.5 times the height. That street view image doesn't really show the difference in height well Although it was the towers that I could see loads of loads of small dishes, which no doubt is what Imagine are using.

Well they are coming to install tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrsinister75

just_manu wrote: »
    Ok, I too got installed after lunch. The guys were quick helpful and friendly.
    He showed me his speed through his wired connection to the router and he was getting 96meg download and 8 up!! Fantastic. !!!
    Then I tried my phone connected over wifi and was getting around 15 / 20 down and 4 up.
    I have since tried on my laptop over wifi but only get between 30 and 40 down!

Surely the wifi should not be cutting it down that low??
    I know you lose speed over wifi but a 50% loss seems excessive? Anyone else got this?
    (Don't get me wrong, either way am much better off than I was and very happy to get up and running)

my gaming pc and xbox or on the other side of my house from router and i get my full speed.i use tp link power line adaptors which you get in argos letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 just_manu

Anyone else getting really slow speed (1meg!!) from mongorry this evening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

The tall mast is the TV transmitter group c/d.
    I live very close to it. Using Blue Box for the past 8 years so this looks interesting. I heard rumours that the frequency they use is going to be sold off though.

• Advertisement

Anyone else getting really slow speed (1meg!!) from mongorry this evening??

Ive been online all day, literally non-stop gaming from about 10am until now and had no problem at all. Ive done several speedtests and always been around 60+. I downloaded a game on Steam earlier that was 7GB and it averaged at 89Mb and peaked at 93Mb.

Ive been online all day, literally non-stop gaming from about 10am until now and had no problem at all. Ive done several speedtests and always been around 60+. I downloaded a game on Steam earlier that was 7GB and it averaged at 89Mb and peaked at 93Mb.

Thanks.
    I have been up and running since getting installed on Tuesday and all was well. Wired speeds of 70 +. (Sometimes even better!)
    I downloaded a PS4 game last night which I think was around 45gig in size. I kicked it off after 10:30pm or later, actually probably closer to 11 expecting that it would run for quite a while and definitely into the 12 am to 7am 'download as much as you like' window. I had only minimally used any download allocation prior to kicking off so should have had most of the 20 gig allocation left for that day.
    Anyway, my wired connection download speed has now dropped drastically to 1mb!
    Looks like I am getting throttled.
    Wonder if the midnight to 7am unlimited downloads is true. ??

Thanks.
    I have been up and running since getting installed on Tuesday and all was well. Wired speeds of 70 +. (Sometimes even better!)
    I downloaded a PS4 game last night which I think was around 45gig in size. I kicked it off after 10:30pm or later, actually probably closer to 11 expecting that it would run for quite a while and definitely into the 12 am to 7am 'download as much as you like' window. I had only minimally used any download allocation prior to kicking off so should have had most of the 20 gig allocation left for that day.
    Anyway, my wired connection download speed has now dropped drastically to 1mb!
    Looks like I am getting throttled.
    Wonder if the midnight to 7am unlimited downloads is true. ??

Just checked again after midnight, all back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Delofan

Got mine installed on Friday 15th in Castleshanaghan.

Delighted with the results so far.

Latest upload speed Ping 24ms, Download 60.49mbps, Upload 6.10mbps.

Hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

Any inishowen residents signed up for this yet?

If so what speeds are you getting?

Any more feedback from new customers who signed up?

Any more feedback from new customers who signed up?

All working well for me.
    Have just noticed that the house phone is not working. Seems to go to voice mail without ringing. Will be on to Customer Care tomorrow.
    Apart from that, no complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Galdonagh

Hi all,

anyone in Galdonagh are get this?

Does the speed drop off much if you move upstairs on wifi?

I considered this a couple of months ago, and decided against it.

I'm glad I did.
    Yesterday, I signed up for 100Mbps fibre, unlimited package, with unlimited landline minutes for €40 a month for 6 months, rising to €45 a month after that. Free high speed router and installation, and no fixed contract.
    Speed test was giving me 90Mb.

Maybe check whether/when fibre will be available in your area.
    There are some decent packages available at the moment. (Aslo some ridiculous ones, when you read the small print -like prices tripling, after the introductory period, or 15 or 20Gb daily limit when you have a streaming tv package, for instance. A few games on the playstation network would soon eat into that kind of allowance. You don't buy fibre unless you're going to be using serious bandwidth!)

Galdonagh wrote: »
    Hi all,

anyone in Galdonagh are get this?

Does the speed drop off much if you move upstairs on wifi?

I've not noticed any drop in speed upstairs. Even in the far corner of the house its still reasonable. Typically getting about 40-50Mb on my Galaxy S6. Wired Im getting around 80+ most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Galdonagh

Unfortunately I live in a remote area of the county and fibre is a long way off. We are far from the exchange so we are told that it will be a long time before we get fibre if at all.

My speed at the minute is between 365 and 1.6. Not much good for anything really.

I am in contract with another provider who wants me to pay over 500 to cancel my contract, don't think that is fair as they are not providing the service that they had promised.
    living in hope of a better service.

Galdonagh wrote: »
    Unfortunately I live in a remote area of the county and fibre is a long way off. We are far from the exchange so we are told that it will be a long time before we get fibre if at all.

My speed at the minute is between 365 and 1.6. Not much good for anything really.

I am in contract with another provider who wants me to pay over 500 to cancel my contract, don't think that is fair as they are not providing the service that they had promised.
    living in hope of a better service.
    Imagine, subject to take up, should be covering more areas over the coming year or so. Coupled with that is the national broadband scheme so between them both there's a chance that you should get a better service sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

I considered this a couple of months ago, and decided against it.

I'm glad I did.
    Yesterday, I signed up for 100Mbps fibre, unlimited package, with unlimited landline minutes for 40 a month for 6 months, rising to 45 a month after that. Free high speed router and installation, and no fixed contract.
    Speed test was giving me 90Mb.

Maybe check whether/when fibre will be available in your area.
    There are some decent packages available at the moment. (Aslo some ridiculous ones, when you read the small print -like prices tripling, after the introductory period, or 15 or 20Gb daily limit when you have a streaming tv package, for instance. A few games on the playstation network would soon eat into that kind of allowance. You don't buy fibre unless you're going to be using serious bandwidth!)
    Who is this with? What area are you in? Thanks.

henke wrote: »
    Who is this with? What area are you in? Thanks.

PM sent.

I don't want to appear to be promoting any products, and breaking Boards rules, so, I'm playing safe, here.

PM sent.

I don't want to appear to be promoting any products, and breaking Boards rules, so, I'm playing safe, here.
    If you have no connection to or association with the company then its fine to post the details here.

Thanks, Muffler.

Vodafone are offering 100MB Broadband, with free, unlimited anytime landline calls for €40 per month, rising to €45 after 6 months, if anyone is interested.

Some of the other ISPs are offering it for less, initially (at least, they were when I posted!), but you're tied into an 18month contract, with prices rising to €70 per month after 6 months.

I just received my (free) router this morning, with an installation date for Friday of next week.

The good news is that it is 802.11N capable (meaning capable of up to 300Mbps, for anyone unfamiliar with the terminology) - the bad news it's that it's A: Huawei (I'm a dedicated Netgear fan, myself), and B: I see no antenna, or antenna connections, that would bring this router from 56MB wireless capability, to the 300MB capability that the twin antenna 802.11N routers have.

It's possible that it has internal antennae, I find it hard to believe that a router with 1x DSL, 2 phone, 4 ethernet, a WAN, and a USB port would ship without a decent antenna - but I'm wary, because past experience with Huawei routers has been less than satisfactory, and, I'm wondering why a router with 300MB wireless capability would need that many ports, anyway, so, I'll post back when I get confirmation of the wireless capability of this router.

Hope this helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

100meg, ah if only.....my line still is max'd at 4.5meg.

I can only dream.

NIMAN wrote: »
    100meg, ah if only.....my line still is max'd at 4.5meg.

I can only dream.

4.5Mb? That's a joke in this day and age!:eek:
    I'm on 20Mbps, and my kids are swallowing it up!
    Smart TVs and playstations are a double edged sword:mad:.

Is there no timeframe for fibre, or, as a bare minimum, 20Mb in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure there is a plan, but here in the far North of Donegal, we tend to accept we will be the last to get most services.

Funnily enough 4.5meg still does me, it allows streaming ok with very few breakups, although my kids are all still young so it isn't too stretched at present. No online gaming or anything. It won't suffice in 5 or 6 years time I'm sure.

Fibre has arrived in the nearest town approx 2.5 miles away, so I'm hoping it will be with us in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

4.5Mb? That's a joke in this day and age!:eek:

3 mb 2 miles from donegal town basically a crap line

Advertisement