Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Broadband in Donegal

Options
13»

Comments

3 mb 2 miles from donegal town basically a crap line

:eek: Genuinely shocked. Donegal Town has a reasonable population.
    It's not as if the "not commercially viable" waffle applies...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks, Muffler.

Vodafone are offering 100MB Broadband, with free, unlimited anytime landline calls for €40 per month, rising to €45 after 6 months, if anyone is interested.

Some of the other ISPs are offering it for less, initially (at least, they were when I posted!), but you're tied into an 18month contract, with prices rising to €70 per month after 6 months.

I just received my (free) router this morning, with an installation date for Friday of next week.

The good news is that it is 802.11N capable (meaning capable of up to 300Mbps, for anyone unfamiliar with the terminology) - the bad news it's that it's A: Huawei (I'm a dedicated Netgear fan, myself), and B: I see no antenna, or antenna connections, that would bring this router from 56MB wireless capability, to the 300MB capability that the twin antenna 802.11N routers have.

It's possible that it has internal antennae, I find it hard to believe that a router with 1x DSL, 2 phone, 4 ethernet, a WAN, and a USB port would ship without a decent antenna - but I'm wary, because past experience with Huawei routers has been less than satisfactory, and, I'm wondering why a router with 300MB wireless capability would need that many ports, anyway, so, I'll post back when I get confirmation of the wireless capability of this router.

Hope this helps someone.

You don't understand wireless at all. And applauding N is like applauding your car for having indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3 mb 2 miles from donegal town basically a crap line
    :eek: Genuinely shocked. Donegal Town has a reasonable population.
    It's not as if the "not commercially viable" waffle applies...

DSL only runs to 5km, so you being 3km from the edge of Donegal is the same as being out on the peninsula.

Posters on here should read the main thread, changes to the terms make it far less appetizing than it was.

ED E wrote: »
    You don't understand wireless at all. And applauding N is like applauding your car for having indicators.

I'm not applauding N: Merely stating that the router is capable of delivering the bandwidth I've signed up for.

I have sent routers back to ISPs in the past precisely because they were inferior junk. eg. I sent one back to one ISP six or seven years ago because it didn't have wireless capability. Crazy, but true.

I'm withholding judgement on this one, for the moment - but based on online specs, I suspect this router will not meet my expectations. The documentation that came with the router didn't include any specs, for some strange reason...

Time will tell.

Edit: Actually, when I think about it, it was a subsidiary of Imagine, or at least an ISP leasing bandwith from them, that I returned the router to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Still waiting for Imagine to roll out near us. Was told 4 months ago that they will be available in a "month or so". Followed it up yesterday and they said they have pulled the site near me due to "severe lack of interest". They usually stick 400 on mast (so they say) so would likely need are 300 or more registered interests to set it up. There is a 3 mast near me thats a perfect spot for catching a large area out but Churchill etc.. Many people still dont know about it and those that do just see its not available and dont bother registering interest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ED E wrote: »
    DSL only runs to 5km, so you being 3km from the edge of Donegal is the same as being out on the peninsula.

Posters on here should read the main thread, changes to the terms make it far less appetizing than it was.

yep there's now 10 houses in the immediate vicinity but because eircom never had to put in a cabinet we are stuck with that distance to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Just getting this installed in the next week. Any updates on the speeds from the Raphoe mast, have they decreased or are they still pretty decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Pure ****e now. DOnegal, like every other mast in the country has massively dropped in speed and quality. People kicking off everywhere about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How are Internet providers allowed to get away with this type of service?

They should have a minimum standard they have to provide. Fed up with all the 'up to 50 meg' adverts, when the truth is you might get 50 meg once a month at 4am.

I'd rather see 'guaranteed minimum of 15meg' instead, but hey that doesn't sound as good on the adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

NIMAN wrote: »
    How are Internet providers allowed to get away with this type of service?

They should have a minimum standard they have to provide. Fed up with all the 'up to 50 meg' adverts, when the truth is you might get 50 meg once a month at 4am.

I'd rather see 'guaranteed minimum of 15meg' instead, but hey that doesn't sound as good on the adverts.

Imagine do have a minimum 30 Meg download, the 30 Meg is based on an ethernet connection directly into the modem.

• Advertisement

IP freely wrote: »
    Imagine do have a minimum 30 Meg download, the 30 Meg is based on an ethernet connection directly into the modem.

No they do NOT.

They will install if there is a minimum 30Mb at point of install, which is always done during the day, when its off peak. As soon as 5pm comes it drops and drop and drops.

I've had it since day 1 and its gotten worse and worse. Plenty of info on this site about it. Go to their facebook page where everyone is raging about it.

No they do NOT.

They will install if there is a minimum 30Mb at point of install, which is always done during the day, when its off peak. As soon as 5pm comes it drops and drop and drops.

I've had it since day 1 and its gotten worse and worse. Plenty of info on this site about it. Go to their facebook page where everyone is raging about it.

That's funny because I have it in writing (an email ) that I have the right to cancel if it drops below 30 for a period of time.

It's the only condition I signed up under. It's also on the recorded call they do upon set up.

So I can assure you YES it's 30 minimum.

That's funny because I have it in writing (an email ) that I have the right to cancel if it drops below 30 for a period of time.

It's the only condition I signed up under. It's also on the recorded call they do upon set up.

So I can assure you YES it's 30 minimum.

and I assure you that the recording and the email is worthless.

Do not waste your time arguing, just go and perform a speedtest and you will see. I just done one there and got 19Mb. I can sometimes get 85Mb, but only in the middle of the night when most are in bed. That pattern is repeated every single night and is a result of contention, too many users on the mast.

I was promised, by recorded telephone call, by website live chat and by email that between midnight and 7am I could download whatever I want. But they backed out of that and said we will give you your money back if you're not happy. So yes, you will get your money back and you will also no longer have the service and have to go back to whatever product you were using before, which at this stage is probably worse than Imagine.

You have obviously not done your research or read the other Imagine LTE thread on boards otherwise you wouldn't be posting such drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

TireeTerror, be careful with the content of your posts. No need for the abuse.

Abuse? Didn't think there was any abuse in my post. I do think the content of the post is drivel (nonsense), however I didn't think it was abusive to point that out. I guess that's the thing with people and language on internet forums, so many interpretations.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Hope they do provide a fast service in Inishowen as it is very poorly serviced at present.

Hope they do provide a fast service in Inishowen as it is very poorly serviced at present.

They dont. It starts off OK when they install it and then it gets slower and slower. Read about it onboards or even on their facebook page.

They dont. It starts off OK when they install it and then it gets slower and slower. Read about it onboards or even on their facebook page.

You seem to have a deep hatred, some sort of vendetta against them, hah!

Sure if you look on Facebook or boards it will have complaints. Very rarely if ever will someone log in to post up a good review. We are a nation of moaners though so won't hesitate to log in to run something into the ground. Have a look on the three Ireland/ Vodafone/ eircom forums and pages they are the same.

I'm immensely happy with the service I get off them, so is everyone else in my locality that has it installed.

Sure it won't work for some but thats the nature of the beast.

You seem to have a deep hatred, some sort of vendetta against them, hah!

Sure if you look on Facebook or boards it will have complaints. Very rarely if ever will someone log in to post up a good review. We are a nation of moaners though so won't hesitate to log in to run something into the ground. Have a look on the three Ireland/ Vodafone/ eircom forums and pages they are the same.

I'm immensely happy with the service I get off them, so is everyone else in my locality that has it installed.

Sure it won't work for some but thats the nature of the beast.

Im glad you went around and surveyed everyone in your local area. I dont have a hatred for them, theyre just a bunch of liars who are overcharging for an inferior product thats pretending to be "the full fibre experience", when it is not even close to being like a fibre connection.

Advertisement