Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzles for toddlers

Options
  • 01-07-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got recommendations of good puzzles for 2-3 year olds? Something that is not a jigsaw, involves putting shapes into things or involves phones/tablets.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My guys love peg puzzles and those little threading sets where you pass the string through spools. My 2 year old also loves hungry hungry hippos but has to be watched carefully because of the small little balls. Oh and there's an alphabet puzzle we got in elc where you match the letters on a card to wooden letters. I'm mad to get him one of those jumping fish sets too but not sure if he'd be able for it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My 2 half year old son love putting train tracks together. You can get some small wooden sets handy enough in Smyth's or Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Moonbeam I was going to buy work bench but OH would go mad at me!!!!!
    Where do you put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I got this book in Smyths a while back and it's great. It's full of puzzles for pre-schoolers, things like spot the differences, find 6 animals, find all the hidden crayons in the picture, etc. So something like that could be good. Also, since he's learned to use a pen for more than just scrawling, mazes have been a big hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Some nice ideas here. I like the workbench, are there many things you can build with it, or is it just the car?

Anyone got something that could mentally challenge a 2.5 year old without being too extreme? Like something in a rubik's cube direction but not so complicated. He really likes jigsaws but he has so many. I walked in on him the other day putting a fairly large jigsaw together upside down, so he must be getting a bored of them.

Might get this one, looks fun

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Orchard Games and Melissa & Doug have some lovely puzzles for that age group. Melissa & Doug were a big hit in our house. Amazon have a huge range of both of those for all age groups.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Millem wrote: »
    Moonbeam I was going to buy work bench but OH would go mad at me!!!!!
    Where do you put it?

In a corner of the sitting room :) it is a really cool toy .

jester77 wrote: »
    Some nice ideas here. I like the workbench, are there many things you can build with it, or is it just the car?

Anyone got something that could mentally challenge a 2.5 year old without being too extreme? Like something in a rubik's cube direction but not so complicated. He really likes jigsaws but he has so many. I walked in on him the other day putting a fairly large jigsaw together upside down, so he must be getting a bored of them.

Might get this one, looks fun

They can build absolutely anything and you can buy any brand of extra pieces . We did due to 4 of them playing together !

Advertisement