Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 HDD Upgrade - Which HDD?

Options
  • 01-07-2016 1:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This may have been posted before but I've been reading some mixed reports lately so no harm in asking now.

My 500gb PS4 HDD is getting close to capacity so i would like to upgrade to a 2TB HDD. I know there is a Seagate/Samsung drive that people have used in the past but Im reading mixed things about the latest models not working correctly or not allowing the PS4 to boot up.

Has anyone recently upgraded to a 2TB HDD and if so, what HDD did you get? (links to online purchases will greatly help!)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

faceman wrote: »
    This may have been posted before but I've been reading some mixed reports lately so no harm in asking now.

My 500gb PS4 HDD is getting close to capacity so i would like to upgrade to a 2TB HDD. I know there is a Seagate/Samsung drive that people have used in the past but Im reading mixed things about the latest models not working correctly or not allowing the PS4 to boot up.

Has anyone recently upgraded to a 2TB HDD and if so, what HDD did you get? (links to online purchases will greatly help!)

Cheers!

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/seagate-2tb-expansion-portable-hard-drive/1461265320.prd

Got this one last November.. Works a treat..Used Digital Foundry's Video on youtube on upgrading the HDD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bigphil2 wrote: »
    http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/seagate-2tb-expansion-portable-hard-drive/1461265320.prd

Got this one last November.. Works a treat..Used Digital Foundry's Video on youtube on upgrading the HDD

Cool thanks. Are you having problems with it beeping or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

Cool thanks. Are you having problems with it beeping or anything?

Ive had no problems/beeping with it since i swapped it in..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks folks. Looks like the Amazon promo is still on so got it for UK£61. :)

• Advertisement

The boat had sailed! Already made the purchase!

How did the upgrade process go? I've about 470gb on the PS4 existing drive. Is it a pain free process?

How did the upgrade process go? I've about 470gb on the PS4 existing drive. Is it a pain free process?

To upgrade I used this guide on TechRadar.

The 470GB you already have might cause you a bit of a pain... mainly because you can't backup the existing game installs (or at least you couldn't when I did it). If you have the discs, you should be okay with a reinstall. For digital titles and patches, I hope you have decent internet :P

You can back up the save files, but if you're on PS Plus (and backup your saves to the cloud) you could get away with that.

Here's a checklist:
    • Have a usb memory stick to reinstall the OS
    • Download the latest PS4 firmware, copy this to the USB stick
    • Have your PSN login details :rolleyes:

Once you have all that, and the new HDD installed, I believe you reboot to recovery mode with the USB stick plugged in. Recovery does the rest.

All in all, it's a fairly pain free process.

Thanks again everyone for your input, greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else find this thread. I was using a 500gb Seagate HDD drive as the backup disk for ps4. I formatted it to FAT32. However the PS4 said there is not enough space on it (even though the backup disk is blank.)

Turns out I had to reformat it FAT32 (or exFAT) with MBR (Master Boot Record)

The PS4 allowed the back up then. It's currently backing up so I will post any additional progress tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

Thanks again everyone for your input, greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else find this thread. I was using a 500gb Seagate HDD drive as the backup disk for ps4. I formatted it to FAT32. However the PS4 said there is not enough space on it (even though the backup disk is blank.)

Turns out I had to reformat it FAT32 (or exFAT) with MBR (Master Boot Record)

The PS4 allowed the back up then. It's currently backing up so I will post any additional progress tonight.

I have my 2TB working perfectly. I only backed up my save files I can redownload or reinstall everything. One piece of advise I'll give is download the European PlayStation 4 3.55 update file I had the US one and I couldn't figure out how to fix it for ages.

• Advertisement

Progress update. So the installation of the Software Update on the USB didn't exactly go to plan. After putting the PS4 into safe mode and reinitialisng it didn't recognise the PUP file I downloaded from the PlayStation sight. Tried the file on different USB sticks and ensured they were formatted correctly.

Turns out there are 2 files on the PlayStation sight. This isn't made clear anywhere. One file is approx 300mb and the other approx 800mb. The 300mb file is easy to find, the 800mb is linked in the small print on the page. However it's he 800mb file that you need for the update as you're actually doing a fresh install.

Worth noting for for anyone else going down this path as its not clear in any of the guides. :)

Final update! Restore finally completed and everything seems ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Anyone here tried using a SSD or Hybrid drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cormac... wrote: »
    Anyone here tried using a SSD or Hybrid drive?

Yep, I've a hybrid for about 18 months now. In hindsight I would have went with a 2tb 7200rpm drve than the 1tb hybrid I have. The performance difference is tiny compared to having all that extra space.

The PS4 file system is not designed to take full advantage of a hybrid or SSD the way a laptop or PC would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone using those 3.5" bays attachments, 2TB almost filled on current 2.5" drive. There was issues for drives greater than 2TB but can't see anything recent if it was fixed or not. Most recent reviews on amazon for the below, the nyko one, and the other generic/rebranded ones don't mention it.

5170tsQY4nL._SL1000_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

bigphil2 wrote: »

Does that mean you can connect an external drive or would you need to extract the drive from the portable casing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Rather than start another thread, I hope op won't mind this question

I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drive on my ps4 as I don't think that I will be upgrading it to the latest version of the console.

Is it 2-4tb max 2.5 sata?

I've seen some 3.5 in caddies but they look terrible.

I'm technically fine on the upgrade but wondering what you recommend or use? Thanks

amadablam wrote: »

I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drive on my ps4 as I don't think that I will be upgrading it to the latest version of the console.

I'm technically fine on the upgrade but wondering what you recommend or use? Thanks

2.5 is the size you need. I'm open to correction but I think 2tb it's the largest size that will work.

You may be tempted by a SSD but the majority of the reports say it makes little difference in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

2.5 is the size you need. I'm open to correction but I think 2tb it's the largest size that will work.

You may be tempted by a SSD but the majority of the reports say it makes little difference in performance.

A 2TB SSD would cost more than the system :) From what I've read, the max internal drive capacity is 2TB in 2.5" form factor and the max height of the drive is 9.5mm.

A 2TB SSD would cost more than the system :) From what I've read, the max internal drive capacity is 2TB in 2.5" form factor and the max height of the drive is 9.5mm.

Thanks lads I have no intention of going SSD :)

I had read somewhere that after update 3.50 that HD capacity could be increased to 4TB but I was wondering if anyone here had done it before I order one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Thanks lads I have no intention of going SSD :)

I had read somewhere that after update 3.50 that HD capacity could be increased to 4TB but I was wondering if anyone here had done it before I order one.

There are currently no 4TB HDDs that fit the 2.5", 9.5mm dimensions. However, the 3.5" enclosure add-on shown earlier will work if you use a 4TB drive in it.

Otacon wrote: »
    There are currently no 4TB HDDs that fit the 2.5", 9.5mm dimensions. However, the 3.5" enclosure add-on shown earlier will work if you use a 4TB drive in it.

Thanks very much, that is exactly what i wanted to know.

looks like a good old 2TB will do the job for me so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I did mine this weekend

I used this drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474289588&sr=8-1&keywords=2tb+ps4+hard+drive

And removed the internal drive from the casing. Worked out perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

R.F. wrote: »
    I did mine this weekend

I used this drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474289588&sr=8-1&keywords=2tb+ps4+hard+drive

And removed the internal drive from the casing. Worked out perfectly

Same, worked a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How easy was it to remove that drive from its casing? And afterwards would it be possible to put the PS HDD in the casing and use it as external storage?

I need to upgrade my HDD - the stock 500GB just isn't workable for me anymore. But I'm really worried about the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Its not too difficult, you just need to be patient and not force it. And yes, I'm using my former PS4 HDD in the enclosure as an external drive not a problem.

Awesome cheers. Final (stupid) question, what tools will I need to do the whole job? I've got the USB stick for the OS download and I've no interest in backing up my downloaded games currently on the PS4 - I can re-download everything and my saves are backed up.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Awesome cheers. Final (stupid) question, what tools will I need to do the whole job? I've got the USB stick for the OS download and I've no interest in backing up my downloaded games currently on the PS4 - I can re-download everything and my saves are backed up.

Everything you need is outlined HERE

Cheers lads

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »

A phillips-head screwdriver and a sharp blade to prise open the casing on the new HDD..

Advertisement