Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 HDD Upgrade - Which HDD?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Awesome cheers. Final (stupid) question, what tools will I need to do the whole job? I've got the USB stick for the OS download and I've no interest in backing up my downloaded games currently on the PS4 - I can re-download everything and my saves are backed up.

Dont forget if you own P.T. you can not download it off the store, you will need to back that up an an external drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

R.F. wrote: »
    Dont forget if you own P.T. you can not download it off the store, you will need to back that up an an external drive

If you did put it into your basket when it was released , there are ways around that ... I used this method ,
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10296546/pt-hideo-kojima-silent-hills-re-download-ps4

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If you did put it into your basket when it was released , there are ways around that ... I used this method ,
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10296546/pt-hideo-kojima-silent-hills-re-download-ps4

;)

Thank you good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Would this work? I know it is a 2.5" drive I need but I can't figure it out from the dimensions on the site if this is it.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CHard+drives%2C+USBs+and+data+storage%7C14419053.htm

I've a load of Argos vouchers I could use if so.

EDIT - apparently this one should work according to the below guide

http://www.shopto.net/news/47026/A-simple-guide-to-upgrading-your-PS4-s-hard-drive-update

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would this work? I know it is a 2.5" drive I need but I can't figure it out from the dimensions on the site if this is it.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CHard+drives%2C+USBs+and+data+storage%7C14419053.htm

I've a load of Argos vouchers I could use if so.

EDIT - apparently this oen should work according to the below guide

http://www.shopto.net/news/47026/A-simple-guide-to-upgrading-your-PS4-s-hard-drive-update

Used that before, there's 2 of them and ones a bit more awkward to open. If you're careful you can keep the case and use it on your existing HDD that you're taking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

So am I correct in saying that there is no 4tb hard drive which will fit the PS4 caddy?

The Seagate one here is 15mm and the caddy only takes 9mm.

You can get a Sata extender but the hard drive sits outside the case.

Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

branners69 wrote: »
    So am I correct in saying that there is no 4tb hard drive which will fit the PS4 caddy?

The Seagate one here is 15mm and the caddy only takes 9mm.

You can get a Sata extender but the hard drive sits outside the case.

Or am I wrong?
    Otacon wrote: »
    There are currently no 4TB HDDs that fit the 2.5", 9.5mm dimensions. However, the 3.5" enclosure add-on shown earlier will work if you use a 4TB drive in it.

Yes

After spending more than a day re downloading stuff onto my lovely new 2TB drive a few weeks ago, I discovered that when I buy the PS pro I will not simply be able to pop my drive in and off I go, but will have to delete everything and re download it all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

R.F. wrote: »
    After spending more than a day re downloading stuff onto my lovely new 2TB drive a few weeks ago, I discovered that when I buy the PS pro I will not simply be able to pop my drive in and off I go, but will have to delete everything and re download it all over again

That sucks if it's the case. There might be a data transfer you can do. I know with the PS3 you could transfer data between two powered on systems using an ethernet cable. If it's not already possible on the PS4 I'd hope (but not expect) they'd enable this for it too.

• Advertisement

That sucks if it's the case. There might be a data transfer you can do. I know with the PS3 you could transfer data between two powered on systems using an ethernet cable. If it's not already possible on the PS4 I'd hope (but not expect) they'd enable this for it too.

There is a data transfer that can now be done with a network cable

But its only good if I want to keep the 1TB drive that ships with the PS4 Pro.

Because I want to use my current drive I will have to go through the whole delete, format and re download all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Running a 2TB Samsung HDD for over a year now with not a single issue.. no screeches, beeps or failures.

I think it was this one... but would need to have a look when back home to verify

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Samsung-Seagate-Spinpoint-M9T-ST2000LM003-2TB-2-5-SATA3-HDD-for-PS4-Laptop-MAC-/131319340151?hash=item1e933e1c77:g:jK4AAOSwcu5UN1b5

Ah of course. OK, this may not be worth the effort :)
    1. Transfer over ethernet from PS4 2TB to Pro 1TB.
    2. Backup Pro 1TB to external drive.
    3. Replace Pro 1TB with 2TB.
    4. Restore external drive to 2TB.
    ***OR, for 100 points:
    2. Replace PS4 2TB with old 500GB (or any drive with enough space) .
    3. Transfer over ethernet from Pro 1TB to PS4 500GB.
    4. Replace Pro 1TB with 2TB.
    5. Transfer over ethernet from PS4 500GB to Pro 2TB.

Oh, and backup before either of these.

*See comment from F1ngers directly below before attempting! It will save much time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Ah of course. OK, this may not be worth the effort :)
    2. Backup Pro 1TB to external drive.
    3. Replace Pro 1TB with 2TB.
    4. Restore external drive to 2TB.
    ***OR, for 100 points:
    2. Replace PS4 2TB with old 500GB (or any drive with enough space) .
    3. Transfer over ethernet from Pro 1TB to PS4 500GB.
    4. Replace Pro 1TB with 2TB.
    5. Transfer over ethernet from PS4 500GB to Pro 2TB.

Oh, and backup before either of these.

You seem to be adding in an extra step.

Transfer from 2TB to external drive.
    Swap 1TB with 2TB.
    Restore external drive to 2TB.

F1ngers wrote: »
    You seem to be adding in an extra step.

Transfer from 2TB to external drive.
    Swap 1TB with 2TB.
    Restore external drive to 2TB.

That should be true but I haven't seen anywhere to confirm definitely that old backups will restore to Pro system and that it works. Just being overly cautious but you are right.

Really hope Sony confirms what will and wont work before release

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Never had much luck with backups, they take forever to make and restore.

If you've got a download speed over 10Mbps you're probably better off getting what you need and slowly building it back up.

Saves can be easily saved to USB or the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I was thinking of upgrading to 2TB.... but what will happen my P.T. install?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cormac... wrote: »
    I was thinking of upgrading to 2TB.... but what will happen my P.T. install?

Read back on the thread and there's a solution there

So I swapped the HDDs ok but I'm about to destroy something in frustration with trying to update the software.

I've got the right file downloaded (the big one and not the update file) but first the PS4 couldn't find it on the USB and now it says it is corrupted. I've Googled and read loads over the last couple of hours, tried re-formating the USB, downloading multiple times through different browsers, I'm now downloading direct onto the USB as someone said that worked for them but so far nothing.

At first I thought it was the USB but now I'm not so sure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

So I swapped the HDDs ok but I'm about to destroy something in frustration with trying to update the software.

I've got the right file downloaded (the big one and not the update file) but first the PS4 couldn't find it on the USB and now it says it is corrupted. I've Googled and read loads over the last couple of hours, tried re-formating the USB, downloading multiple times through different browsers, I'm now downloading direct onto the USB as someone said that worked for them but so far nothing.

At first I thought it was the USB but now I'm not so sure....

Is the file in correctly labelled folders ? UPDATE -> PS4 and did you start ps4 in safe mode with USB stick in before booting it up ?

I swapped out mine last week no problems.

Yes to both. I've just been to Tesco to buy a new USB stick and have the file saving to it now so fingers crossed it was my USB stick being old (although it has never let me down in the past)

EDIT - nope, still saying 'The update file is corrupted'

Looks like it has worked *TOUCH WOOD*. It has picked up the file and is installing now.

I followed a process of elimination - it wasn't the browser and wasn't the USB so next thing was the PC. Dusted down my ten year old Dell desktop from the back of my cupboard and downloaded the file on that and it did the trick. No idea what my gaming PC was doing to it to corrupt it constantly.

Took the guts of five hours to get there but the machine just booted up and I seem to have a nice new 2TB hard drive in it.

You should look into hashing. You can use it to verify files' integrity such as when you download or move them.

So in this instance you would:
    1 - Get hash of file from website (not always given, can usually get from other sources or download twice and make sure they match)
    2 - Download file
    3 - Check hash of file on PC matches website
    4 - Transfer file to USB
    5 - Check hash of file on USB matches file on PC
    (Step 3 not particularly necessary if checking hash on USB after, it does help narrow down where issue occurring though)

Looks like it has worked *TOUCH WOOD*. It has picked up the file and is installing now.

I followed a process of elimination - it wasn't the browser and wasn't the USB so next thing was the PC. Dusted down my ten year old Dell desktop from the back of my cupboard and downloaded the file on that and it did the trick. No idea what my gaming PC was doing to it to corrupt it constantly.

Took the guts of five hours to get there but the machine just booted up and I seem to have a nice new 2TB hard drive in it.

Im having the same problems.

Went through 4 USB drives last night from 4GB to 64GB and file was in the right location every time.

Ill try on a different PC later .

second issue, I wanted to use the PS4 hard drive in the Seagate caddy but although it picks up the adapter, it wont pick up the Samsung drive even though it is whirring and reading it! I was hoping to use it for my 279 GB back up transfer

Keep trying different things and hopefully you'll get to the bottom of things.

You have my sympathy though - Saturday evening was massively stressful and frustrating trying to get it to work.

Keep trying different things and hopefully you'll get to the bottom of things.

You have my sympathy though - Saturday evening was massively stressful and frustrating trying to get it to work.

I did a 6 hour back up of digitally downloaded games as I have a 20GB daily cap and its going to take too long with updates.

3 am this morning, still at it, up at 7 and tried three more flash drives and PS4 cant see the update on them yet can see the drive.

Its frustrating because I have done everything in sequence, multiple times too. Ive a box of USB drives gathered here for this evening lol

Yeah it was the same with me - some times it couldn't see the file at all, other times it could see it but claimed it was corrupted.

One thought I'd had if I was desperate was to ask someone on here who has done it recently to download the file, and send it to me on a USB Stick in the correct folder (obviously I'd send them the money for the cost of the USB and postage). If it still didn't work then I'd know if was a problem with the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

I did my update yesterday and all went fine.

The only mistake I made was not creating a PS4 folder on the USB key and then an UPDATE folder within the PS4 folder.

Also I had downloaded the 4.0 850mb update file on Sunday. Of course the 4.1 update was released on Monday so it wouldnt accept the 4.0 update I had. I had to download the 4.1 update and then it worked no issue!

I then had to down load 200gb last night, dont think Virgin are going to be too pleased with me!

I went to check my download usage this morning and it isnt working, I think I broke it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

branners69 wrote: »

I then had to down load 200gb last night, dont think Virgin are going to be too pleased with me!

I went to check my download usage this morning and it isnt working, I think I broke it!

You'll be fine,if its a large download like that as a once off,they wont put a monitor on the usage,only if you are doing it all the time..

Advertisement