Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 HDD Upgrade - Which HDD?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Came home this evening, didn't even change the USB drive and it worked first go!

Now my problem is getting the 280 gb of files off my laptop and onto the portable hard drive. Getting constant errors even though copying from the hard drive to the laptop last night was no problem.

Anyone know what could work for a large transfer? Could I connect ps4 directly to the laptop with an ethernet cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

amadablam wrote: »
    Came home this evening, didn't even change the USB drive and it worked first go!

Now my problem is getting the 280 gb of files off my laptop and onto the portable hard drive.

How is the backup on your laptop? You backed up PS4 to external drive, copied backup to laptop & then deleted off external drive?
    Getting constant errors even though copying from the hard drive to the laptop last night was no problem. Anyone know what could work for a large transfer? Could I connect ps4 directly to the laptop with an ethernet cable?

This won't work. Your laptop uses a filesystem, maybe NTFS, that the PS4 doesn't support. Similarly, the PS4 uses a custom filesystem that your laptop doesn't support. When you put the PS4 hard drive in the external caddy, your laptop could see it but couldn't read it (kinda like it's written in a different language). That is one reason why you cannot just take the hard drive out of one and put it in the other. Similarly, connecting them with ethernet won't work because of that, plus other reasons. You can't easily change the filesystem (called formatting) of a drive without losing all its data.

The PS4 can only read external drives with filesystems called FAT32 or exFAT AFAIK. You need to make sure your external drive or USB sticks are formatted with either of these (FAT32 only supports max 4GB file size so choose exFAT if you have files >4GB).

As for why you were able to put files on your laptop yesterday but can't now, could be any number of reasons, I've no idea right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

How is the backup on your laptop? You backed up PS4 to external drive, copied backup to laptop & then deleted off external drive?

This won't work. Your laptop uses a filesystem, maybe NTFS, that the PS4 doesn't support. Similarly, the PS4 uses a custom filesystem that your laptop doesn't support. When you put the PS4 hard drive in the external caddy, your laptop could see it but couldn't read it (kinda like it's written in a different language). That is one reason why you cannot just take the hard drive out of one and put it in the other. Similarly, connecting them with ethernet won't work because of that, plus other reasons. You can't easily change the filesystem (called formatting) of a drive without losing all its data.

The PS4 can only read external drives with filesystems called FAT32 or exFAT AFAIK. You need to make sure your external drive or USB sticks are formatted with either of these (FAT32 only supports max 4GB file size so choose exFAT if you have files >4GB).

As for why you were able to put files on your laptop yesterday but can't now, could be any number of reasons, I've no idea right now :)

Thanks for that, good explanation too.

Yeah I had done a backup from the ps4 to the portable harddrive and I had formatted it to exfat and it copied over last night.

I didn't try to read the file on the laptop and Windows 10 won't give an exfat option so I'm stuck with fat32 and using a copying utility now to try and get the backup onto an external drive, I should have just had two drives yesterday and I would have had no problem. Only borrowed one today but the damage was done :D

You live and learn I guess. Ill just reinstall everything at this point as it is a very slow exercise to try and move data back to the the drive I had.

The joys of it! No fear a cross over cable would do the trick like in the old Xbox days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

I didn't try to read the file on the laptop and Windows 10 won't give an exfat option...

That's weird, it definitely should give you that option. That's a separate issue right there though :) From what I've heard, Xbox has always had the edge in terms of stuff like this. Anyway, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I have a 500gb Ps4 and I'm hoping to upgrade the hard drive. From people who have done it what hard drive did you use

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have a 500gb Ps4 and I'm hoping to upgrade the hard drive. From people who have done it what hard drive did you use

If you look back at the first page of this thread there are plenty of suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

With the Pro supporting the full Sata III (6Gb/s) standard it'll be interesting to see if it'll benefit from an SSD more than the regular model.

Anyone else seen these recently announced too? : http://www.anandtech.com/show/10760/seagate-launches-firecuda-sshds-up-to-2-tb-smr-8-gb-of-nand

Seagate Firecuda SSHD - 7.5mm in size, up to 2TB in storage and 8GB of NAND Flash. Only downside it's a Seagate, but it does come with a 5 year warranty. Prices seem to range around €130 - €150 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

I picked this up in Newry last week for 70€ using a Revolut card. Swap out took 10 minutes

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Rael wrote: »
    With the Pro supporting the full Sata III (6Gb/s) standard it'll be interesting to see if it'll benefit from an SSD more than the regular model.

Anyone else seen these recently announced too? : http://www.anandtech.com/show/10760/seagate-launches-firecuda-sshds-up-to-2-tb-smr-8-gb-of-nand

Seagate Firecuda SSHD - 7.5mm in size, up to 2TB in storage and 8GB of NAND Flash. Only downside it's a Seagate, but it does come with a 5 year warranty. Prices seem to range around €130 - €150 online.

That 2TB SSHD sounds interesting have the old Seagate 1TB hybrid but was thinking of picking up a 2TB HD at 7200RPM but might hold off

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

That 2TB SSHD sounds interesting have the old Seagate 1TB hybrid but was thinking of picking up a 2TB HD at 7200RPM but might hold off

Yeah, I'm thinking of waiting to see how it's reviewed / other's experiences of it and then maybe upgrading to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Hiya so I'm getting the ps4 pro tomorrow but I'm going to swap out the 1TB it has for a 2TB one...
    Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the best reasonable hard drive would be to get? One that will do the best job without having to shell out hundreds for a good one...i think max 120euro would be my budget...i looked in currys , argos and harvey norman while i was in town earlier but didnt know which one to choose , any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hiya so I'm getting the ps4 pro tomorrow but I'm going to swap out the 1TB it has for a 2TB one...
    Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the best reasonable hard drive would be to get? One that will do the best job without having to shell out hundreds for a good one...i think max 120euro would be my budget...i looked in currys , argos and harvey norman while i was in town earlier but didnt know which one to choose , any help would be appreciated :)

Look back literally a page or two

duploelabs wrote: »
    Look back literally a page or two

yeah this post was a new thread just now but someone moved it here so didnt realise...reading back now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

yeah this post was a new thread just now but someone moved it here so didnt realise...reading back now

Sorry, meant to comment "merged" when I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone try the 4TB version of the seagate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone try the 4TB version of the seagate.
    It's hardly a 2.5" HDD, is it?? I've never seen a 2.5" drive over 2TB, and I've only heard about 3TB drives. The PS4 is also not compatible with 3.5" drives.

Nailz wrote: »
    It's hardly a 2.5" HDD, is it?? I've never seen a 2.5" drive over 2TB, and I've only heard about 3TB drives. The PS4 is also not compatible with 3.5" drives.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/External-Devices-Data-Storage/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-Drive/B017KE8OG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478880397&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+4tb

Says so at least.

Has it at 3.15" wide so def not a 3.5"

Image of it up on seagate's site as well. same size and form.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/External-Devices-Data-Storage/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-Drive/B017KE8OG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478880397&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+4tb

Says so at least.

damn and i just bought the 2tb version of that seagate expansion too , if its 2.5" then it should work on the pro shouldnt it?

Says so at least.

That should work

That should work

I know from the size it will but the 1TB version won't as it's not a sata connection.

• Advertisement

I know from the size it will but the 1TB version won't as it's not a sata connection.

I've the 2tb swapped out and it's working perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

More than likely the 4TB drive would be too tall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

That should work

It won't. The 4tb 2.5 inch expansion is simply 2 x 2tb drives configured in jbod mode (just a bunch of disks). The thickness of the casing gives it away.

I have the Seagate backup plus 4tb portable which is also 2 disks *actually samsung 5400rpm drives* but uses a raid 0 hardware controller to give faster read/write speeds.

There are however 3tb drive options available from seagate and western digital. You would need to check out the dimensions to see if they will fit though.

Didn't get it in the end, found a tear down it is one drive but it's 15mm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

eamonnq wrote: »

Yep, that's the one that I'm rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I have that one too (and paid more than that...). It works fine but I do get the occasional but noticeable, half second freeze every now and then - mostly when playing Madden, tbh but I'm sure I've noticed it elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yeah, ~€100 on Amazon, I guess tomorrow is the time to take the plunge with Argos if Amazon dont have an Amazing Black Friday sale

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479996896&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+2tb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Cormac... wrote: »
    Yeah, ~€100 on Amazon, I guess tomorrow is the time to take the plunge with Argos if Amazon dont have an Amazing Black Friday sale

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479996896&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+2tb

Cost me €88 from Amazon back around April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

dudeeile wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one that I'm rocking.
    Cormac... wrote: »

and its gone.....................Not showing on Argos anymore.

Advertisement