Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 HDD Upgrade - Which HDD?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can you upgrade the HD on slim? Getting the 500gb next week, and just wondering if i can upgrade down the line. I doubt i'll need it, which is why i'm not getting the 1tb, but it's nice to know it's available if i want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You can and you probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Wavering on picking up the Crucial MX300 525GB lads, anyone have any experience with it? 90-ish quid seems like a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Wavering on picking up the Crucial MX300 525GB lads, anyone have any experience with it? 90-ish quid seems like a decent deal.

I think there may be an issue with using SSD, but then I'm open to correction on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

duploelabs wrote: »
    I think there may be an issue with using SSD, but then I'm open to correction on it

No issues at all but for the money it's not worth putting an SSD in the Pro. Go for a 7200rpm HDD with higher capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Now that external HDD's will be supported with the upcoming software update, it might be time to get some serious storage!!! :)

WD 8 TB My Book USB 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Now that external HDD's will be supported with the upcoming software update, it might be time to get some serious storage!!! :)

WD 8 TB My Book USB 3.0

I've 2 x 2TB drives on my Xbone plus the internal and I have a 2TB drive in my ps4 and all I'll say is that I don't think I'd put anything larger either internally or externally as you just stand to lose too much if a drive goes bad / corrupts.

Its painfully slow to even restore 2TB :(

That's true, but as game files and updates are getting insanely big these days I think I may just take the chance on a bigger drive.

Next Fallout update will clock in at 58GB!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That's true, but as game files and updates are getting insanely big these days I think I may just take the chance on a bigger drive.

Next Fallout update will clock in at 58GB!!!
    Mmm, a super-sampled 1080p image in Fallout would be nice though, but that update is huge. Would that update work its way across to the DLCs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nailz wrote: »
    Mmm, a super-sampled 1080p image in Fallout would be nice though, but that update is huge. Would that update work its way across to the DLCs?

58gb patch is for PC high resolution textures, not the Pro...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Fieldog wrote: »
    58gb patch is for PC high resolution textures, not the Pro...
    Ah, I see. Wonder what size the Pro patch will be then... Will probably be small small enough if it doesn't include the high res texture pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's a shame that the standard PS4 only has two USB ports I use e one for charging and the other for headset.
    I for one will have to buy a USB 3.0 hub along with the external drive.
    I also see me using it to store games I don't play regularly so rather then deleting them i will just move them onto my external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's a shame that the standard PS4 only has two USB ports I use e one for charging and the other for headset.

If you have an old phone charger handy, use that to charge your controller. It will charge your controller faster than the PS4 can too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you have an old phone charger handy, use that to charge your controller. It will charge your controller faster than the PS4 can too.

Don't you have to be careful not to use a fast charger? There's a thread on here somewhere about them blowing the controllers.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Don't you have to be careful not to use a fast charger? There's a thread on here somewhere about them blowing the controllers.

Yikes. Not that i've experienced. I've been doing it since I got my PS4 on launch day :o

Yikes. Not that i've experienced. I've been doing it since I got my PS4 on launch day :o

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057702037/1/#post102524310

Ahem...

It's just fast charge ports that blow it, you can use a standard mobile charger with no issues...

Fieldog wrote: »
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057702037/1/#post102524310

Ahem...

It's just fast charge ports that blow it, you can use a standard mobile charger with no issues...

Ah, i'm using my old htc charger for the original HTC One. From before the days of fast charging.

Ah, i'm using my old htc charger for the original HTC One. From before the days of fast charging.

The old school ones are fine, newer chargers for newer phone can blow it, I assume the likes of the latest galaxy or one plus one would....

yKAiPWW.jpg

We have one of these and a controller would go pop if it goes into quick charge port, fine on the other 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I was reading that we won't be able to play the games we move to the external hard drives like you can on the Xbox one which is a bit of a dick move by Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I was reading that we won't be able to play the games we move to the external hard drives like you can on the Xbox one which is a bit of a dick move by Sony.

From what I have seen you can play games from the external. Pointless other wise

• Advertisement

I for one will have to buy a USB 3.0 hub along with the external drive.
    I also see me using it to store games I don't play regularly so rather then deleting them i will just move them onto my external drive.

I think this drive will do the trick, stacked flat on top of the PS4 with 2 front facing USB ports.

a00bd6b3-e1a3-40cb-81bb-5878272895c1._SR300,300_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Got a portable external hard drive in Tesco this morning (this one) on clearance for €23. Will it work with this upcoming update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Got a portable external hard drive in Tesco this morning (this one) on clearance for €23. Will it work with this upcoming update?

Says usb 3.0 so I don't see why it shouldn't

Advertisement