Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless Pedal Advice for a Noob

Options
  • 01-07-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m considering making the big step up from pedal straps (toe-clips) to clipless pedals i.e. the ones that clip.

As I’m new to clipless pedals I’m obviously nervous about the whole “clipless fail” thing and falling into a ditch or even worse, some passing traffic.
    Any recommendations out there for pedal/cleat/shoe combo that can be gotten out of quickly in the case of an emergency??

The other reservation that I have, is that on some cycling trips we like to get of the bikes go for a short stroll or pop in someplace for a coffee/beer. I’ve heard that mountain bike shoes are easier to walk around on as opposed to road shoes (although u shouldn’t really be doing too much walking on either). Again any advice on the whole walking thing would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Tim76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m considering making the big step up from pedal straps (toe-clips) to clipless pedals i.e. the ones that clip.

As I’m new to clipless pedals I’m obviously nervous about the whole “clipless fail” thing and falling into a ditch or even worse, some passing traffic.
    Any recommendations out there for pedal/cleat/shoe combo that can be gotten out of quickly in the case of an emergency??

The other reservation that I have, is that on some cycling trips we like to get of the bikes go for a short stroll or pop in someplace for a coffee/beer. I’ve heard that mountain bike shoes are easier to walk around on as opposed to road shoes (although u shouldn’t really be doing too much walking on either). Again any advice on the whole walking thing would be much appreciated!

I bought cleat covers to allow me to walk in my cleats for coffee etc.

In terms of the clipless falls... You just need to get the first fall out of the way and you'll find it easier and less daunting.

And you'll quickly learn how to fall safely. Clipping out is second nature when you start to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

if you go for an SPD cleat (not SPD-SL) you can get a shoe that will enable you to recess the cleat so you can walk normally. You can also use a road shoe with SPD so you have the choice.

There is usually an allen type adjustment bolt on the pedal that lets you loosen or tighten the spring tension. Start with it fairly loose so your foot/cleat releases easily. As you get more used to it you can tighten up if required.

Spend a bit of time against a wall clipping in and releasing for practice.

Also you can get a pedal with clips one side and flat the other so best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would go with SPDs rather than SPD-SL as was previously suggested. The very small loss of performance is more than outweighed by the flexibility of having the cleats recessed and being able to walk in the shoes comfortably. I always use SPDs for mountain biking and for commuting and only use SPD-SLs on proper road spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

just to it, get in built up areas/traffic lights/junctions as you drop down down the gears, clip out your left foot so if you are going to fall you fall away from traffic. You will fall its inevitable, keep your hands on the handle bars, dont put your hand out, you may end up wrecking arm, shoulder or elbow.

BTW my 1st fall was outside of a church as a funeral was leaving!

happy trails

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

I got my first fall out of the way inside the first 60 seconds using them at the bottom of my estate road. Going straight into commuting with them on might not be the best idea however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

and falling into a ditch or even worse, some passing traffic.

Wouldn't worry too much about this bit. You're very unlikely to be in a situation where you should clip out but forget to while moving along. By far the most likely situation is that you're coming to a stop e.g. at traffic lights, (I'm going to assume you're one of the good guys!) and you're almost stopped to the extent that you don't have enough momentum to keep balance, you go to balance yourself by putting a foot down and you only then remember that your feet are locked to the pedals, but its too late and over you go. The occupants of the cars that can see you will all laugh, but significantly they'll be stopped too, or going very slowly, because of those same traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

dogsears wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry too much about this bit. You're very unlikely to be in a situation where you should clip out but forget to while moving along. By far the most likely situation is that you're coming to a stop e.g. at traffic lights, (I'm going to assume you're one of the good guys!) and you're almost stopped to the extent that you don't have enough momentum to keep balance, you go to balance yourself by putting a foot down and you only then remember that your feet are locked to the pedals, but its too late and over you go. The occupants of the cars that can see you will all laugh, but significantly they'll be stopped too, or going very slowly, because of those same traffic lights.

This is why the most common phrasing i have heard is "slow motion fall". I have clipless on my road bike but I prefer to commute on platform pedals. I have a short commute though - 7km. In traffic i think clipless are more a hindrance than a help. I agree with SPD pedals, unless you are racing seriously no need to go for "road" cleats. Remember that if you go on a long cycle you can find it more difficult to unclip at the end of the cycle as your blood sugar is low than in the beginning.

Unclip as you coast towards the traffic lights/junction, not as you arrive at it.

Clipless are much safer and much easier to take your foot out of than toe straps if you are actually strapping yourself into toe straps now? You should already have the instinct of needing to remember to extract your foot from the pedal even if you are only using the cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

To avoid the fear of falling into traffic, it's a good idea to become a left footed clipper; if/when you tip over you will fall left into the ditch rather than right onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bloggsie wrote: »
    .. clip out your left foot so if you are going to fall you fall away from traffic...
    :confused: You're more likely to fall over onto the side that's still clipped in - i.e. the right. If you've unclipped your left foot, how can you fall on that side?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

:confused: You're more likely to fall over onto the side that's still clipped in - i.e. the right. If you've unclipped your left foot, how can you fall on that side?

You fall because you haven't clipped out... but your instinct is still to lean to the left if you unclip your left. I unclip my right and my two 'leans' have been to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

When I got a hybrid a few years ago i jumped on the clipless wagon with some Shimano SPD A530 pedals which have a flat side and a SPD clip side. These allow you to unclip if you feel nervous or when you are starting your ride. I found that I had to retrain myself to unclip when i was approaching junction and prepare to stop, much like we press the clutch on a car as we slow down. I got some nice shoes at the time which are very comfortable and when i eventually moved to my carbon road bike earlier this year the SPD's came with me. I recently changed them for XTR double side SPD and have no regrets. I wont be breaking any records so they suit my stlye of riding and i can walk around in them. Its worth checking out all your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi all,

OP You'd probably prefer SPDs with SH-SH56 cleats, which are multi directional release. If that is what you want? Get them. You don't have to have "Road" cleats for your road bike.

Also ignore all the horsesh1t about falling over. It can happen if you are caught by "surprise" but that could be at anytime, and years away! And it is always when you are doing a slow maneuver.

It won't happen cos this is all "new" to you, if you do it right.

Is it common to tell learner drivers that they will crash when they start off? Because I'm thinking operating a car is way more complicated than flicking your ankle, which is clipping out. And trust me, clipping IN is way harder.

Why cyclist put the fear into other cyclists, rather than teach them how to do it, is beyond me. I've taught three people (Incl. 60 year old dad) and none of them have fallen over yet, but have had a few hairy moments, due to circumstances, not just "because"

First tip, Never come to a complete stand still/stop with both feet clipped in. Don't think it is OK to us that Traffic light to steady yourself. Just don't be that person. Honestly.

That aside, the number one rule is ONLY clip out the foot you rest with, as you would if you were using normal pedals. For me it is my left foot. and ALWAYS get into low gears, for two reasons. It means that if needed you can cycle off using one foot (clipping in can be hard!) until you get clipped in again, or you can pedal with your still clipped in foot and pedal with your "resting" foot using the back half of your shoe, till you get it clipped in.

Don't be one of those cyclists who has to stand up to start moving at a set of lights. It's like driving a car, you might approach and stop at the lights in fifth gear, but you go into first to start off again.

And clip out really early, as you get used to them, like 100 meters before the traffic lights. You can still pedal with the back end of your shoe. Don't leave it until the last few seconds. "Panic" is not your friend.

If you are actually stopping for a break or something, then, once stopped clip out the other foot too. That is pretty much the only time you need both feet clipped out when the bike is still under you. Or if you are getting off the bike.

As for practise? You can start now. You don't need the clipped in pedals. Start imagining you are clipped in and practise flicking your resting foot out, using your heel in advance of stopping.

When you do get the pedals, put them on the bike and read the manual. Then set them to their lowest tension, which make clipping out very easy. Then in the kitchen or somewhere, put one foot in a pedal and clip in, then flick your ankle to clip out. Then clip in, then clip out. Feel free to "practise" that for as long as you want but you pretty much had it after two gos.

Then test the other pedal.

People would suggest that the next thing to do is have a lash at it in your garden.

Feel free to do so, if your garden is a minimum of 200 meters in length and width. Anything smaller and you WILL fall over. Because of panic. People have told you that you will fall over, it is in your head and you are expecting it, now you are practicing it in an area that is way to small to even give yourself a chance! You will be no sooner clipped in then you will have to clip out! Panic!

If you want to practise then find a local Estate or Industrial estate, anything with a long straight road. While rolling, clip out, clip in, clip out, clip in. Only with your resting foot and you don't have to stop either.

After that, you'll be grand! You don't fall over when you are moving and clipped in, it only happens when you are clipped in and moving very, very slowly, and come to a sudden stop (the "surprise" I previously mentioned!)

I tend to clip out my left foot and pedal using the heel of my shoe when having to move very slowly, for traffic or whatever, that way when I come to a sudden stop I can put my foot down, rather than panic when still clipped in.

You'll be grand, and in my humble opinion clipped in pedals are way safer and handier that those toeclip ones.

Feel free to ignore all of the above but if you take anything away for my post, how weird is the word "maneuver"?

It's just not right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

As a nooby whose using toe clips , its very disconcerting to see no one can agree on cleats. :(

I got SPD's but havent used them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

As a nooby whose using toe clips , its very disconcerting to see no one can agree on cleats. :(

That's because most people stick with the type of cleats they started out with. So, fewer people would have experience of a variety of pedal systems and can't advise on the differences.

I believe most systems are very good these days. SPD pedals with touring shoes probably suit the OP best as they do offer more walking comfort and stability. The mention of multi directional release SPD cleats above might also be useful, but getting used to releasing from regular cleats becomes second nature quickly for most riders.

I started out with SPDs and didn't fall over until about a year after I started. And that was at an uphill junction where I had literally just run out of steam and didn't have the energy to clip out. "over I goooo" hah.

At the moment I'm considering changing to a dedicated road pedal system just for the weight savings. But I do still enjoy the ease of engagement with SPDs and I'm always first clipped in after junctions on group spins. So SPDs also suit commuting well.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    ...At the moment I'm considering changing to a dedicated road pedal system just for the weight savings....
    I doubt that you'll notice any real weight advantage.

I use SPD's on my single speed/fixie and Look Keo's on my road bikes.

The SPD's are practical and functional when there's a bit of walking to be done or in stop/start traffic (especially with the Shimono M520 pedals which clip in on either side).

Look Keo's do offer a slight advantage over SPD's especially when climbing as they feel a bit more stable with the larger platform.

(I've never used Shimano SPD SL's so I can't compare them).

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

I'm considering:
    shimano-rt82-spd-touring-cycle-shoes
    shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals
    shimano-spd-mtb-cleats (SH51)

The combo seems to be a good entry level set. I'll be able to walk a bit on the shoes for the odd coffe/beer and I can use the flat side of the pedal with trainers for more serious walks.

I'm considering:

The combo seems to be a good entry level set. I'll be able to walk a bit on the shoes for the odd coffe/beer and I can use the flat side of the pedal with trainers for more serious walks.
    The Shimano SH56 cleats will offer a bit more flexibility if you require it (as they disengage with any side movement - the SH51 only disengage in one direction).

Otherwise they are basically the same cleat.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I doubt that you'll notice any real weight advantage.

I use SPD's on my single speed/fixie and Look Keo's on my road bikes.

The SPD's are practical and functional when there's a bit of walking to be done or in stop/start traffic (especially with the Shimono M520 pedals which clip in on either side).

Look Keo's do offer a slight advantage over SPD's especially when climbing as they feel a bit more stable with the larger platform.

(I've never used Shimano SPD SL's so I can't compare them).

Yeah I wondered if changing was a waste of time (money) or not. I did a big nerdy spreadsheet about saving weight on my bike. The price per gram difference between Shimano M20s that I currently have and Look KEO Max 2 pedals represented the best value upgrade. I'd drop 120grams off the bike, and if I can remember correctly, that's before I take into account the weight saving I'd make in my shoes (my touring shoes have a big heavy rubber sole). I'd be keen for a bit more climbing power transfer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Have always used SPDs as they are much safer on hard or wet surfaces when walking. I have Shimano M324s on the commuter as they work equally well with normal and cycling shoes. I used to use A520s on the road bike because I thought they would be better when unclipped but recently switched to M520s that are double-sided and much prefer them. No more messing about trying to get the right side up when clipping in.

Most (all?) Shimano pedals come with cleats so there should be no need to buy them separately. The metal SPD cleats also last a lot longer than SPD-SL cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I'm considering:

I have a set of A530 on one bike and A520 on another. The platform side is pretty slippy in the rain if not clipped in. M324 might be better for a commuter, looks to me like it would be a more stable platform when in ordinary trainers.

FWIW i don't use either of these on my commuter, just use normal platform pedals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Those toe clips are dangerous IMO. I had them and took a few tumbles. Problem with them is, your foot gets stuck in them. With cleats, you pop out very easy. If you have them... use them, you won't regret it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Different pedals suit different people, but we all use clipless pedals. That alone should give you confidence.

I have speed play pedals because they are great on the knees. A little tricky to walk on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This thread (and others in the past) have many posters mentioning the inevitable fall using clipless pedals. Yes, some have fallen and rather embarrasingly too as has often been testified.

Despite the above, I really don't see what all the fear and trepidation is about. Clipless pedals are simple to use. Engaging them is simple but takes more attention than disengaging. As stated before, disengaging simply requires a quick flick of the ankle. Just be sure to adjust the tension screw - back it off the whole way to begin with. Then practice while sat on the saddle, stationary and holding onto something. Decide which foot you'll you unclip and always use the same one so your brain always makes the same decision. Practice for five minutes and you'll be wondering what the fuss was about and why you were overthinking the whole thing.

Millions of cyclists use clipless so it's obviously simple - it's just like riding a bike :pac: Don't pay too much attention to the falling over stories as they'll only make you apprehensive.

TL;DR - Just do it. It's no biggie.

Now for my story (just to be honest). I fell over a long, long time ago using Shimano 600 Select clipless pedals. I descended a hill and at the last minute I decided to take a right turn on to an unkown road. Fup me, as soon as I turned the road kicked up and there was me stuck in a 52x12 or something. Instead of coming to a stop and unclipping I made the dumb ass decision to reach for the down tube and select a lower gear. As I reached the bike continued to slow rapidly due to the incline and I panicked even further. Then, in super slo-mo, I fell over. Cupidstown Hill, circa 1987. No fault of the pedals just poor decision making by me. I was a teenager and that's my excuse. No injuries, just a very red face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hi all,

Regarding walking in cleats, you aint gonna be walking that far and cleats arent expensive, so just go for it. Replace them as and when and dont be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I'm in the same boat as the OP, thinking of taking the plunge with shoes and pedals. Can anyone recommend a lbs in the mayo area to buy them? Sorry for the thread hijack btw

Advertisement