Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 QF, Wales vs Belgium 20:00 TV3 & BBC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wales were my hot tip at the start of the tournament...

To get out of the group. This sh*t is unreal!

mansize wrote: »
    Ashley Williams more kids than sterling

He wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What games have you been watching? They haven't even won one game in 90 minutes as far as I'm aware so far in this tournament.

They have been very average.

He said they dominated games, are you really saying they haven't? They've been very wasteful in front of goal but have been the dominant team in most of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

And just think it would have been 3-0 if not for that goalkeeping error. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Did anyone see the scenes from Cardiff when Wales scored, BBC just showed it..there is a lad on the left who is so pissed drinking a pint with a Welsh flag around him, he doesnt even realise they have scored, everyone else is gone mental...not him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,206 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Amazing achievement in knocking out the team ranked number 2 in the world. Hope they go on to win it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Eiffel Tower in Welsh colours tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Mec27 wrote: »
    Great day for British football. Belgium were muck, Witsel and Naingolan are not good enough in midfield, overhyped rubbish

Cough! Didn't you say a few days ago that Wales were overhyped rubbish.

Is that you Dunphy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I was not expecting that from Wales, that result probably puts them as the best team performance wise in tournament, disposed of Russia and Belgium with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Belgian back 4 has been decent and Hazard, Naingollan and Dembele when he played were good in parts, but on the whole they were garbage.

I was especially disppointed with De Bruyne.

At least for their sake, this isn't the end of it and their only shot. It's a young team and the bulk of it will have at least another 3 tournaments.
    If they get someone who isn't a gob****e to manage them they're probably as good a shout as anyone for silverware in the coming tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Hugely enjoyable game.

Great team performance from Wales - Ramsey will be missed though on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Have you forgotten that Belgium humiliated us?
    How come Wales aren't exhausted and made the semis? As Roy Keane said four years ago after Spain slaughtered us in Poznan- turning up just to have a sing-song is just not good enough! We'll never get anywhere with our defeatist attitude.
    All together now "....... low lie the fields of Athenry ....."

What has that match got to do with my statement ?
    Why are you bringing Ireland into this ???

Belgium are bottlers ,they are only good when they go ahead .
    If the referee in the Ireland Belgium match had given the penalty for the kung fu kick to Longs head that match would have had a very different outcome .
    The scoreline flattered Belgium .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Have you forgotten that Belgium humiliated us?
    How come Wales aren't exhausted and made the semis? As Roy Keane said four years ago after Spain slaughtered us in Poznan- turning up just to have a sing-song is just not good enough! We'll never get anywhere with our defeatist attitude.
    All together now "....... low lie the fields of Athenry ....."

Wales have one of the very best players in the world on their team. Wes Hoolihan makes us look half decent. There is a big difference between Ireland and Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The players don't have a defeatist attitude and the fans attitude of going out to enjoy themselves has absolutely no negative affect on the team.
    WE DO HAVE A DEFEATIST ATTITUDE. No Irish team would have the balls to do what Wales did tonight!

I am definitely not questioning the commitment of the Irish players but mentally we just don't have it to compete at a major tournament.

Gbear wrote: »
    The Belgian back 4 has been decent and Hazard, Naingollan and Dembele when he played were good in parts, but on the whole they were garbage.

I was especially disppointed with De Bruyne.

At least for their sake, this isn't the end of it and their only shot. It's a young team and the bulk of it will have at least another 3 tournaments.
    If they get someone who isn't a gob****e to manage them they're probably as good a shout as anyone for silverware in the coming tournaments.

Wales just weren't Hungary enough.

Eh? Eh? :D

It's going to be difficult for them with Davies, Chester and Ramsey suspended, impossible even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Hope Wales go on and win it. But I fear that in the semi final I will feeling the same way I did when JuanFran missed a penalty and Ronaldo scored the winning penalty in the champions league final. :(

From certain angles, and when he hands up to his face, I think Chris Coleman is Gary Speed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Alright Iceland, the guantlet has been thrown. Wales are practically daring you to meet them in the final. What are you gonna do about it?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ramsey is a huge loss for the semi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

In fairness they've been very Jammy aswell. No vermaelen kompany or vertongen tonight and Belgium should've had a peno and Davies should've got a second yellow aswell. Fellaini misses a
    sitter aswell. This after they get Northern Ireland in the last 16, the weakest team in the last 16, and scrape through via an own goal. On the opposite side of the draw to Germany France and Italy aswell. Can't say they haven't had massive luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Well deserved by Wales, Portugal haven't looked great so far this tournament, Wales in with a great shout of progressing out of that Semi Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Really wanted to see Wales pumped tonight, but fair play to them, they were excellent. Time to start cheering for Portugal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Huw Edwards on the news, straight into talking about the Somme, bit of an abrupt change of tone.

I'm sure he's inwardly turning cartwheels.

Brilliant great speech from Coleman.

• Advertisement

Belgium's bench is laughable, literally no depth except for a ****load of attacking players(still very good for their population though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Skid X wrote: »
    Huw Edwards on the news, straight into talking about the Somme, bit of an abrupt change of tone.

Was just thinking the same thing. Of all the nights to have to remain sombre and dignified.

Skid X wrote: »

Probably had a good old primal scream before he went live.

Portugal and Wales in the semis though :( Wales deserve it I guess after that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Delighted for Wales

• Advertisement

It's going to be difficult for them with Davies, Chester and Ramsey suspended, impossible even.

Yeah that yellow card carrying over is a ridiculous rule. Cost my favourite player ever to miss the 2003 CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The highlights show just how bad Belgium were in defence. All 3 goals were shocking from their point of view. Missing the centre half pairing tonight in Vertongen and Auderwereld couldn't have been any more costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Portugal and Wales in the semis though :( Wales deserve it I guess after that performance.

No guess about it, they 1000% deserve to be there

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Yeah that yellow card carrying over is a ridiculous rule. Cost my favourite player ever to miss the 2003 CL final.

Stupid tbh, all cards should be suspended after group stages and if a player is carrying a yellow into the semi and gets a yellow in semi-final, a panel should decide on whether or not the player will miss the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

funtime93 wrote: »
    In fairness they've been very Jammy aswell. No vermaelen kompany or vertongen tonight and Belgium should've had a peno and Davies should've got a second yellow aswell. Fellaini misses a
    sitter aswell. This after they get Northern Ireland in the last 16, the weakest team in the last 16, and scrape through via an own goal. On the opposite side of the draw to Germany France and Italy aswell. Can't say they haven't had massive luck.

Come off it. Better side won. If and buts don't win tournaments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Really wanted to see Wales pumped tonight, but fair play to them, they were excellent. Time to start cheering for Portugal!

Why - they're a small country that might never again even qualify for a tournament?

Good bit in between the ads on TV3 about what a donkey Fellani is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

How good did Ireland make Belgium look?

Fair play to Wales.

Only one thing to say at a time like this - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Good bit in between the ads on TV3 about what a donkey Fellani is.

I thought Fellani did ok.....apart from his miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I love that Robson-Kanu, a former Reading player who doesn't even had a team, made a complete fool out of three top Belgium defenders for the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Corholio wrote: »
    He said they dominated games, are you really saying they haven't? They've been very wasteful in front of goal but have been the dominant team in most of their games.
    Stats for Portugal games (Portugal first)
    vs Iceland
    Possession 66-33 Dangerous Attacks 67-13 Attempts 27-4
    vs Austria
    Possession 59-41 Dangerous Attacks 61-22 Attempts 23-3
    vs Hungary
    Possession 58-42 Dangerous Attacks 61-18 Attempts 19-10
    vs Croatia
    Possession 41-59 Dangerous Attacks 37-54 Attempts 5-17
    vs Poland
    Possession 46-54 Dangerous Attacks 55-49 Attempts 21-14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,206 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Why - they're a small country that might never again even qualify for a tournament?

With the side they have now, they will no doubt qualify for more tournaments. Bale, Ramsey, Allen and their captain Williams are very good to world class level at the moment. They have shown that they are a team instead of a group of individuals and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Portugal even without the players they'll be missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Corholio wrote: »

They didn't win a game in the weakest group. Austria and Iceland are two teams that will sit back and let you have the ball and will you to break them down. Yes they had more possession and shots but that's the way both teams set up against them.

They had more possession than Hungary but a similar amount of shots. Hungary counter attacked every team in the tournament so again they allowed Portugal to have the ball.

Croatia were all over Portugal in the half I saw and had many more shots, but couldn't hit the target at all, and had much more possession.

I only saw a bit of the Poland game last night but from what I did see it seemed a bit of a damp squib and both teams cancelled each other out.

To me if you dominate a team you put them to the sword and don't grind out a draw, especially against much weaker opposition, no offence meant to those teams but Portugal should be beating the likes of Iceland, Hungary and Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Congratulations Wales!

They have shamed England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Belgium's bench is laughable, literally no depth except for a ****load of attacking players(still very good for their population though)

Mignolet, Fellaini, Origi, Dembele, Benteke, Betshuayi and Mertens. I'd say that's one of the best benches in the tournament especially if you take into account that Kompany, Vermaelen and Vertonghen were injured or suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Stupid tbh, all cards should be suspended after group stages and if a player is carrying a yellow into the semi and gets a yellow in semi-final, a panel should decide on whether or not the player will miss the final.

All single yellow cards are dropped after the quarters, so no-one can miss the final because of a yellow in the semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

jacool wrote: »
    Stats for Portugal games (Portugal first)
    vs Iceland
    Possession 66-33 Dangerous Attacks 67-13 Attempts 27-4
    vs Austria
    Possession 59-41 Dangerous Attacks 61-22 Attempts 23-3
    vs Hungary
    Possession 58-42 Dangerous Attacks 61-18 Attempts 19-10
    vs Croatia
    Possession 41-59 Dangerous Attacks 37-54 Attempts 5-17
    vs Poland
    Possession 46-54 Dangerous Attacks 55-49 Attempts 21-14

Yeah but how many of those 'attempts' where Ronaldo and Nani shooting from everywhere? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Chester isn't suspended.

Advertisement