Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant without PPS number

Options
  • 01-07-2016 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I tested positive this morning and even though we wanted to plan later this year we are quite delighted.
    Unfortunately my excitement went down within hours because I was reading up the usual maternity care here in Ireland.

I'm Austrian and moved here with my fiance a couple of months ago. He is Irish and we currently live with his parents.

I hope I got it right with the things happening next: I need to see a GP and he's giving me a letter that confirms the pregnancy and I have to get in touch with a hospital afterwards? Is the GP or the hospital doing screenings?
    The next thing is: I don't have a PPS number because I was on hardcore job hunt since I'm here. I tried to apply for a PPS number but was refused because I can only apply for one when I have a letter of employment. What does that mean now? Do I probably have to pay thousands of euros to have our child here? Since I also don't have a rental agreement I have effectively no proof that I intend to stay longer than a year in Ireland. Would they expect a letter of the school my firstborn is going to attend to? I really don't know what to do because it all came sooner than expected.

Thanks for any advise I could get!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Apparently they have to give one to you if you say you need a drvers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I already do have a Full EU drivers license and it's registered as a Named driver, don't know if that would affect anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

The requirements for getting a PPS number are here.
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-How-to-Apply.aspx

Having a letter from an employer is only one option. Do you have any official letters with your name & Irish address on them. That might do instead.

The document submitted, as proof of address, must show the customer’s name and address and can be any one of the following:

a household utility bill
    an official letter/document,
    financial statement,
    property lease or tenancy agreement,
    verifiable* employer's letter,
    confirmation of address by a third party such as a school principal/administrator, accommodation/property owner**or manager.

Maybe open a bank account in Ireland to get a financial statement or official letter as proof of your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Go to Citizen's Information office near you for all the information. They are very good usually.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

I see the HSE is one entity that is mentioned as a State Agency that needs a PPS number. That could be the transaction you need. I don't know, only guessing. So have a word with Citizen's Information first. They will set out all the facts for you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

I have been there with a proof of address and they refused my application because I don't have a letter of employment. The man there told me it's the new law. The problem with the bank account is a catch 22, I won't get one unless I have a utility bill in my name (not possible unfortunately).
    At the moment I'm working out an account with AIB, because they might accept my membership certificate from laya.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    I have been there with a proof of address and they refused my application because I don't have a letter of employment. The man there told me it's the new law. The problem with the bank account is a catch 22, I won't get one unless I have a utility bill in my name (not possible unfortunately).
    At the moment I'm working out an account with AIB, because they might accept my membership certificate from laya.

Was it a PPS allocation centre that you were in? I'd go back and ask him where you can read about this new law or try to deal with somebody else. Print out the list of requirements from the sites linked above and have them with you.
    my membership certificate from laya.

That sounds like an official document that'll show proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I understood is that you have to be resident in Ireland for 1 year before you are eligible for free healthcare. However a quick google indicates that you may be eligible if you can prove that you intend to stay here for at least 1 year: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_system/entitlement_to_public_health_services.html Acall to your local health office and/or citizens information office might give you more information.

If you are eligible.....Normally people attend the GP first and then get a referral letter to the hospital. You will need to decide which hospital you would like to attend. I don't know what part of the country you are in, you might just want to attend the hospital closest to you. If you are in Dublin for example, they all have different community schemes in place which you may/may not want to be involved in so you should check out the hospital websites for further information. In addition you would need to decide what type of care you're looking for - public, semi private or private. You will need to decide on this before you get the referral letter. Public is free, semi private & private have varying levels of charges.

Just to note - you may not actually have to attend the GP first. Most hospitals will take a referral directly from you (the forms are usually on the websites) but you'd have to check with your particular hospital as they all have slightly different rules. Although as I said most people do go to the GP first even if the hospital don't require it.

Normally under the public system you would do "combined care". This means that appointments are shared between the GP and the hospital. More information here http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/maternity/combinedcare.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Hi there, and congratulations!
    I've had a little look for you :)

You are entitled to:

The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme provides an agreed programme of care to all expectant mothers who are ordinarily resident* in Ireland. This service is provided by a family doctor (GP) of your choice and a hospital obstetrician. You are entitled to this service even if you do not have a medical card or GP visit card. Virtually all GPs have agreements with the Health Service Executive (HSE) to provide these services; they do not have to be part of the medical card scheme. The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme also provides for two post-natal visits to the GP.

Note the part "ordinarily resident" and see here that this means you only need to intend to live here for at least one year.

Entitlement to health services is primarily based on residency and means, rather than on your payment of tax or pay-related social insurance (PRSI). Any person, regardless of nationality, who is accepted by the Health Service Executive (HSE) as being ordinarily resident in Ireland has eligibility to health services. You are ordinarily resident if you are living in Ireland and have lived here, or intend to live here, for at least one year.

Taken from:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/women_s_health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services.html
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_system/entitlement_to_public_health_services.html
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_system/health_services_and_visitors_to_ireland.html

Also you are from another EU state so you should be entitled so healthcare anywhere in the EU.

I think you should be entitled to free maternity care and shouldn't worry :)

Thanks, that sounds like I don't have to worry too much. I already tried the welfare center in Parnell street (where I got refused). In the meantime my fiance is trying to figure everything out with HSE.

Living in Dublin 9, what public hospital would be the best to go to?

Thanks, that sounds like I don't have to worry too much. I already tried the welfare center in Parnell street (where I got refused). In the meantime my fiance is trying to figure everything out with HSE.

Living in Dublin 9, what public hospital would be the best to go to?

Can't say what's the best but myself and my missus just went through the Rotunda and were very happy with it. Not far to go if you're bussing it in.

• Advertisement

That's what my mister also said, probably Rotunda because it's the nearest by :) Do you usually have to wait long there for appointments?

That's what my mister also said, probably Rotunda because it's the nearest by :) Do you usually have to wait long there for appointments?

Yeah. I'm afraid so. It's very busy.

Okay so: For getting a PPS number I indeed need a reason why to get one: but pregnancy is one of them. With a letter of the GP stating I'm pregnant and I need access to the Maternal care scheme I do have a reason for applying. The woman on the citizen information line told me, they did change the law over a year ago - but nobody knows about it because it's not advertised anywhere.
    But it seems to be alright. However, I'll get the care I need, I'm gonna take care of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Rotunda is probably closest to you alright. If you're interested in midwife led care, they have some community based schemes that are based on location. Some info on their website https://www.rotunda.ie/en-gb/maternitycare/optionsofcare/communitymidwiferyservice.aspx if you want to read up on it before you visit the GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To be honest, I'd ring the Rotunda. Or even just go in for your first appointment and see what happens. Hit the GP first though.
    I don't think we're in the business of charging big money for maternity care, particularly not to EU citizens. Unless you choose to go private.

Short update for the interested:
    I've had my GP appointment today. He said he's going to send a letter out to the Rotunda and he also gave me one for the PPSN application. When I have my number I'm supposed to ring them, give them the number and they'll send the Combined Care form out, that's it.

So the next step is according to the GP just waiting for the hospital to call me and they'll give me an appointment for a screening when I'm around 10 weeks. Is it usually 10 weeks or is it somewhere between 10 and whenever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Short update for the interested:
    I've had my GP appointment today. He said he's going to send a letter out to the Rotunda and he also gave me one for the PPSN application. When I have my number I'm supposed to ring them, give them the number and they'll send the Combined Care form out, that's it.

So the next step is according to the GP just waiting for the hospital to call me and they'll give me an appointment for a screening when I'm around 10 weeks. Is it usually 10 weeks or is it somewhere between 10 and whenever?

The first appointment is usually between 10 and 14 weeks, roughly 12.

My experience with the Rotunda is that they'll post out the appointment letter pretty much straight away though. That way you'll at least have a date for when your appointment will be, even though it'll feel like it's about a year away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Hopefully you'll get your appointment through soon. If you don't get any letters for appointment from them by your twelfth week, then I would call them to confirm they have your referral. Mine unfortunately got lost and I missed out on an early scan at the hospital because they never got my GP's letter. Luckily I called and checked and had the GP refax the referral.
    Good luck!

Advertisement