Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike geometry for short-legged woman

Options
  • 01-07-2016 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I just found the perfect Goldilocks bike in all ways but one - it's a racer, and I'm looking for a light, handy bike to do a little touring.
    The perfect/imperfect bike was a Cube, I think Cube Axial.
    I've looked at other Cube bikes online, but they don't seem to have the kind of squat geometry of this, which is perfect for my build - I have the same length body and arms as a friend who is five foot seven, but I'm only five foot one, so presumably my legs are seven inches shorter than hers. So I need a bike that's good for a long body and reach but short legs.
    Two questions if you'd be so kind as to help:
    * What shop in Ireland has the biggest variety of Cube bikes for me to try out, in the hope that I can find another Cube with the same geometry?
    * What are the measurements that make the Axial squat and suitable for my shape?

- Chuchote, formerly known as Qualitymark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was researching this subject for my wife and among all the women-specific bikes I've been looking at, Giant Liv Avail 3 in XS size had the top tube low enough. My wife's 5"0.5, more or less, rather proportionally built.
    formerly known as Qualitymark

Hello again, good to see you back.

AFAIR you are Harold's Cross based. I'm just a stone's throw away, you are welcome to try my wife's bike if you wish. It's more of a racer than tourer, but should give you an idea on what to expect from other Giant Livs in XS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Thanks, Alek!

Unfortunately, I was shown a Liv Avail, and it was unbelievably, shockingly horrible combined with my body. The crossbar was up against my crotch and I was on tippy-tippy-tiptoe while on the saddle set to its lowest, yet with the saddle set to its lowest, my legs were bent right up so my thighs hit against my belly with every pedal-stroke. It would be actively dangerous for me flying around pothole-rich Harold's Cross.

On that particular Cube, my legs were extended properly while cycling, I was able to stand flat on the ground over it without risking personal injury, and I could stand on the balls of my two feet with the saddle set right for me.

I've found the perfect bike - apart from it being a racer, which is no use to me - and now just have to find a tourer with exactly the same geometry.

Here, take a look:

Damn, don't - was about to add a screen shot showing the Cube Axial, the Cube Nature Pro (a light-ish tourer, according to their propaganda) and the Liv Avail to see if you could see why one suits me, the second is unknown and the third is horrible for me; I don't seem to be able to use 'advanced' features under this new persona.

Are you absolutely sure you've tried XS version of Liv Avail? It has standover height of 26.6inches, and there is also XXS available with SH of 25.3inches, which is most likely as low as a diamond-shape frame on 700C wheels can get.

PAGE_Giant_Avail_Geometry_grande.png?2668

This is the XXS geometry: 1394372759-P1010855-o.jpg

Cube Axial in 47cm (the smallest size they make) seems to be a bit higher in this respect:

s-l1000.jpg

Also comparing the Axial vs Nature Pro geometry from the manufacturer's website:

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/woman-like-series/axial-wls/cube-axial-wls-whitenaqua-2016/

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/trekking/nature/cube-nature-pro-grey-black-2016/

, it seems that the seat post in the smallest Nature Pro (44cm) is slightly longer in the smallest Axial (43cm).

Considering that bicycles with front shock (instead of solid fork) have their bottom bracket higher, the smallest Nature Pro may not be small enough for you. But try it of course, if you can find it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Did you try the Specialized Ruby in a 44?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Alek wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure you've tried XS version of Liv Avail? It has standover height of 26.6inches, and there is also XXS available with SH of 25.3inches, which is most likely as low as a diamond-shape frame on 700C wheels can get.

PAGE_Giant_Avail_Geometry_grande.png?2668
    As a matter of interest, what is the crank arm length in the XXS size?

Alek - No, that was the S size I was trying in the Avail; however, I have previously tried an XS and it had the same horrid scrunched-up feel for me.

Bad news on the Nature Pro; it sounds as if it's quite a different geometry from the Axial. What a pity Cube's designer, Michael Prell, didn't make a road touring bike with the same geometry as the Axial racer.

Nak, the Specialized Ruby looks like sort of the same kind of shape as that nice Cube - but is there a version that isn't carbon? I'm liable to load it down like a camel, and carbon frames always seem too delicate? (And the price too harsh for my delicate wallet.) Where can I try one, though? It also looks like the crossbar is too high for me, on a quick guess. But I'd happily try it.

Where can I try all of these - is there one place in Dublin that does them all?

Where can I try all of these - is there one place in Dublin that does them all? And maybe the Cannondale too?

Sorry for the repeat posts; the Edit function isn't working for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Welcome back artist formerly known as QM!

I know you've been searching for a while but have you ever popped into a Decathlon in the UK or Mainland Europe?

A few vertically efficient friends of mine found B'twin bikes to be decent fits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm looking at these for my girls and the crank lengths are mental. They're all 165+. They should be 140 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm looking at these for my girls and the crank lengths are mental. They're all 165+.
    Absolute madness. I use 165 mm cranks on my own bike and I am not the shortest guy around...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seweryn wrote: »
    Absolute madness. I use 165 mm cranks on my own bike and I am not the shortest guy around...

Yeah, I've 5'11.5 I've 165 cranks on my TT bike.i see Halfords have a new range of Wiggins branded junior road bikes and while their 650 wheeled one has 145 cranks, the one up from that with 700c wheels, billed as for 11+year old, has 165mm cranks. Sure you'd be kneeing yourself in the chin!

Isla bikes seem to be the only crowd who think of finishing kits and that smaller people have smaller hands and leg bones so adjust bars/hoods/levers/cranks accordingly, proportionally and appropriately.

Thanks, Rollingscone - I'm looking for a light bike - are Decathlon bikes light?

Alek, I just measured my inside leg and it seems to be 26 inches.

Fat bloke, what are cranks - the stalks of the pedals?

Alek, looking at that Cube Axial and the Liv Avail, can you explain the unhappy scrunched-up feeling I get with the Liv? I get that with the S size (too big) and the XS size (correct size but horribly stomach-crampy hunched feeling).

There's an interesting discussion of stumpy-legged people and bikes here:

ask dot metafilter dot com slash 263218 slash Best-bike-for-a-really-really-short-woman

(sorry about that; I can't pose links)

That Trek Navigator sounds possible, but can you try them here?

By the way, the reason I've been looking so long is that I was waiting several months for an XS in one of the Liv bikes which never turned up. Having tried it out now, I'm glad it didn't, though. I'm being fussy - this will probably be the last bike I buy, so I want to get the perfect one (for my purposes).

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm looking at these for my girls and the crank lengths are mental. They're all 165+. They should be 140 ish

As far as I know Shimano don't make shorter cranks than 165 if you want 105 or up.

I'm 5"4 and have 170 cranks on all my bikes without issue. I have long legs and a short torso.

OP if you look at the Specialized website they have several versions of the Ruby. The winner of this year's Transam was on a Ruby with carbon wheels and it survived the journey.

You may not get to try smaller bikes in a shop as they cannot stock every size on the off chance someone might buy it. I ride a 49 and have had to order each bike I've ever had without trying it. The geometry charts should give you a good idea, I just went on those and have sometimes had to change the stem or bars to suit but other than that the fit was perfect.

Nak - Thanks, yes, that's been my experience (that bike shops don't have small sizes). I really don't want to ask a shop to get in a bike for me to try when I may not buy it and then they'll be stuck with it.

I simply don't understand those geometry charts. I'm exceptionally stupid with numbers in all cases, but also, I can't see what the difference is between the Liv Avail (which I hate) and the Cube Axial (which I love) - or rather, what the difference is that makes one uncomfortable and the other lovely.

What geometry is it that I need, with a long (or normal-length) body and arms, but short legs?

• Advertisement

Oh, and the winner of the Transam may have leaped the bike over many ruts and holes, but did s/he also have it loaded with panniers?

Sorry, that sounded as if I were asking it indignantly. I wasn't, just asking for a point of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Chuchote wrote: »
    Where can I try all of these - is there one place in Dublin that does them all? And maybe the Cannondale too?

There is a Giant store on the Long mile road? Near the Epmooney hyundi garage.

FWIW have you considered a Giant defy? They have a really low back end! A bloke at work has a 56cm one and against my Canyon S(53ish) the top of his seat post tube is about 4-5 inches lower than mine. Not sure what year his is though.

So with a bike like that you have the length on top that you need, and you can always get a longer stem too. Going from a 90mm stem to 110/120mm is quite normal.

Unknown Soldier, I've set all ideas of any Giant bike aside, having found the Liv versions so uncomfortable; they really don't seem to suit my shape. In fact, I was astonished at how nice the Cube was, after trying other bikes. Only trouble is that it's a racer; you can't put a back carrier and panniers on it - it's not designed to take them, and it won't bear the weight.

Oh, and the winner of the Transam may have leaped the bike over many ruts and holes, but did s/he also have it loaded with panniers?

It's a self supported event, so frame bag, bar bag, saddle bag etc.

nak wrote: »
    It's a self supported event, so frame bag, bar bag, saddle bag etc.

Ah, interesting!

The Ruby does look like a good shape. I wish I could understand the numbers on the geometry, but really that's like wishing I was a six-foot redhead like my grandma!

Nak, where can I see these Specialized Ruby bikes? (I'm encouraged by the thought that a good woman's prize is above rubies, so maybe a good ruby's price isn't above this woman's.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Re: feeling cramped. Has anyone suggested a longer stem?

Re: feeling cramped. Has anyone suggested a longer stem?

Stem? Is that the thing the saddle sits on? Nope, that just whooshes me up, but the cramped feeling comes from being not too far down but too close in, between saddle and handlebars, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Stem? Is that the thing the saddle sits on? Nope, that just whooshes me up, but the cramped feeling comes from being not too far down but too close in, between saddle and handlebars, I think.

Stem is what handlebar is on... a longer stem stretches out distance to handlebars

Advertisement