Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France, July 2, Stage 1: Mont-Saint-Michel/Sainte-Marie-du-Mont *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Cav in yellow, great finish

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Is that Sam down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sammy B taken down in that crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Steady on Carlton!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Is that Sam down

It looked like Sam didn't it? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cav just earnt his wages. took him out of my velogames team damn.

in yellow as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Good win from Cav. Nasty looking crash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Definitely Sam who crashed. The Katusha rider hit the boards and dragged a few down. So so disappointed for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sam clutching arm like collarbone issue there as crossed the line. Fingers crossed all ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Good win from Cav. Nasty looking crash!!

Was bennet caught in the crash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭G1032

What a finish. Fair play to Cavendish.

CmXm2FVXEAAnnNY.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sickened for Sam, looked in a lot of pain.

Think Carlton was pleased with the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

So Cav now Joins "The Badger" at 28 TDF Stage Wins

Rank Name Country Wins
    1 Eddy Merckx Belgium 34
    2 Bernard Hinault France 28
    2 Mark Cavendish United Kingdom 28

** Maybe got ahead of myself (27 for Cav ) as Wiki may have been updated seconds after the win !

Think Carlton was pleased with the winner.

I hope Kelly wasn't sitting too close by :pac:

2555702.jpg?437

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pantanifan84

Has cav held gc jerseys in giro and vuelta too? I know he's one sprinters jerseys in all three grand tours

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

Has cav held gc jerseys in giro and vuelta too? I know he's one sprinters jerseys in all three grand tours

Yep. The yellow was the only jersey he was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Bora Argon twitter confirm Sam sent to hospital after cradh
    .@Sammmy_Be is on the way to hospital for further examination. we'll keep you updated. #FingersCrossed #TDF2016 #BoraArgon18

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cunavalos wrote: »
    Bora Argon twitter confirm Sam sent to hospital after cradh
    .@Sammmy_Be is on the way to hospital for further examination. we'll keep you updated. #FingersCrossed #TDF2016 #BoraArgon18

He looked in bad shape at the finish, possible collar bone.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Brian? wrote: »
    He looked in bad shape at the finish, possible collar bone.

Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk yyyyyyyyooooooooooouuuuuuuuu sssssstttttaaaaaggggeeeeee oooooooonnnneeeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

That looked nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bambaata wrote: »
    That looked nasty

Also looked entirely his own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Inquitus wrote: »
    Also looked entirely his own fault.

Mr Compassion.

pelevin wrote: »
    Mr Compassion.

I have a lot of compassion for him, but his DS and others were blaming Bookwalter, and unfairly so.

Personally I never like to see a GT decided by misfortune to any of the GC riders, and tbh I am not a huge fan of these early stages where yellow hasn't been firmly decided for the first week by a prologue, which tends to keep a lid on the peloton and associated GC crash drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I have a lot of compassion for him, but his DS and others were blaming Bookwalter, and unfairly so.

Fair enough comment in that context! DS's rushing to blame, name & shame riders for such incidents isn't too cool. Interesting point about taking some of the edge off the tension with a prologue start.

Personally I never like to see a GT decided by misfortune to any of the GC riders, and tbh I am not a huge fan of these early stages where yellow hasn't been firmly decided for the first week by a prologue, which tends to keep a lid on the peloton and associated GC crash drama.

Surely the gt lads weren't pushed today and just trying to keep out of trouble.

Surely the gt lads weren't pushed today and just trying to keep out of trouble.

Aye but when you have the yellow jersey up for grabs, GC riders and sprint trains trying to stay at the front, there's too many trains and not enough road and it lends itself to the sort of carnage we saw today. Traditionally when the Prologue has put the yellow firmly on someones shoulders in stage 1 the racing has a bit more calm and fewer crashes. Its only a recent thing for the the tour, last 4 years or so not to have a prologue and to have a first stage where everything is up for grabs, and there's a direct correlation to more crashes and bigger crashes as a result.

• Advertisement

Aye but when you have the yellow jersey up for grabs, GC riders and sprint trains trying to stay at the front, there's too many trains and not enough road and it lends itself to the sort of carnage we saw today. Traditionally when the Prologue has put the yellow firmly on someones shoulders in stage 1 the racing has a bit more calm and fewer crashes. Its only a recent thing for the the tour, last 4 years or so not to have a prologue and to have a first stage where everything is up for grabs, and there's a direct correlation to more crashes and bigger crashes as a result.

Last year cav crashed in the last few 100 yrds do you believe he tried less hard today but somehow managed to win easily??

Advertisement