Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France, July 2, Stage 1: Mont-Saint-Michel/Sainte-Marie-du-Mont *SPOILERS*

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Inquitus wrote: »
    Traditionally when the Prologue has put the yellow firmly on someones shoulders in stage 1 the racing has a bit more calm and fewer crashes. Its only a recent thing for the the tour, last 4 years or so not to have a prologue and to have a first stage where everything is up for grabs, and there's a direct correlation to more crashes and bigger crashes as a result.

There have always been loads of crashes in the first week of the TDF -prologue or not. A prologue winner may get a few secs lead on GC, but when there was bonus seconds for primes or stage placings, riders were always trying to go through gaps that were not there. Big bunch, Narrow Roads, Street furniture, feet of barriers. Also, for the sprinters, their best chance of a win can be in the first week so that means a lot of movement in the bunch to form team groupings for lead out trains - one moment lapse of concentration and crunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Tweet from Bora Argon
    BORA – ARGON 18 â€@BoraArgon18
    no fractures or serious inyuries for @Sammmy_Be ! but we will see tomorrow if he is able to start. #FingersCrossed #Fight #TDF2016

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ThisRegard wrote: »

That crash is bizarre. He wasn't even cornering that hard. Just slid out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Why was I this own fault? Didn't see it clearly myself. Hope is recovers and is able to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'll get the stage 2 thread up before kick off tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mattie500 wrote: »
    Why was I this own fault? Didn't see it clearly myself. Hope is recovers and is able to continue.

He just lost his front wheel going round a corner, no contact by another rider, just bad luck, bad bike handling, maybe some oil on the road, who knows.

You can review it on stickybottle here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'll get the stage 2 thread up before kick off tomorrow

You mean the stage Dan wins and goes into yellow??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You mean the stage Dan wins and goes into yellow??

I looked at the finish on street view and it's no Mur de Huy, looks more like one for a pure sprinter who can do a hill, not a Purito, Valverde or Dan Martin type puncheur.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I looked at the finish on street view and it's no Mur de Huy, looks more like one for a pure sprinter who can do a hill, not a Purito, Valverde or Dan Martin type puncheur.

Piss off with that ****e Dan FTW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

GVA v Sagan v Matthews

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There are 14% parts so it'll be interesting. I think a lone person could get away. I'll write it up in the morning anyway!

If Dan does one of his 1 km sprint attacks like in the Dauphine I think it'll be very hard to get around him tbh. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Poignant photo of Greipel and Vichot earlier today
    CmYTVBbXYAAfIGn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I rode it last year in the real world, rather than on a computer; it certainly isn't for a sprinter- very steep in parts. Sagan is built for it with maybe Valverde and Matthews on the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

They appear to be keeping the time gaps from the stage finish. Clearly there were guys affected and many slowed down after the crash in the finale. If the result stands then Froome already has 30 seconds and more on most of his rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

velo.2010 wrote: »
    They appear to be keeping the time gaps from the stage finish. Clearly there were guys affected and many slowed down after the crash in the finale. If the result stands then Froome already has 30 seconds and more on most of his rivals.

The did the same in the Dauphine and Contador lost time in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Aye but when you have the yellow jersey up for grabs, GC riders and sprint trains trying to stay at the front, there's too many trains and not enough road and it lends itself to the sort of carnage we saw today. Traditionally when the Prologue has put the yellow firmly on someones shoulders in stage 1 the racing has a bit more calm and fewer crashes. Its only a recent thing for the the tour, last 4 years or so not to have a prologue and to have a first stage where everything is up for grabs, and there's a direct correlation to more crashes and bigger crashes as a result.

its much better having a GT or stage race without prologues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

All riders given the same time from yesterday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement