Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Ford Focus - known issues/common faults?

• 01-07-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a 08 focus and just wondering if anyone can advise me of any common faults with them or things to look out for that might cause a problem in future. It's 1.6 diesel version.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Make sure it has been regularly serviced, look for service history. Those 1.6 diesel engines take a lack of servicing very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a really popular model.
    Do you do the mileage to warrant a diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed diesel would be alot less risky purchase imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

+1 for the Kia Ceed or i30. Recently bought an i30 1.6 myself. Was looking at the Focus too but I heard too many worrying problems.

i30s and Ceeds don't have timing belts either so that's one less servicing cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't do a huge amount of miles but have had a few diesels now. Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine diesel to be more economical for bigger engines. The smallest I had was 1.4 and I just couldn't cope with stopping at junctions and driving off again in it so I only kept it a few months.

I'm on a budget and a good car has come up. Regularly serviced, full test. It has more miles on the clock than I would like but I don't really want to go any older due to the insurance restrictions on older cars. I nearly always buy Japanese but I wouldn't get something as well maintained for what I want to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Also due to the onset of recession in 2008, there's not as much Irish used cars available on the market. From experience of looking for a used motor around 08-10, an awful lot of the cars now on the market are imported from UK.

Make sure to have a Cartell report done, full service history etc.

If your not doing the miles then why bother with a diesel at all?

Also if your used to Japanese reliability then the 1.6 diesel in the Focus potentially puts you at the other end of the reliability spectrum. Unnecessary risk given your not really going to benefit from it through your mileage imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a 08 focus and just wondering if anyone can advise me of any common faults with them or things to look out for that might cause a problem in future. It's 1.6 diesel version.

Thanks in advance. :)

had one very good car, you cant go far wrong with ford, toyota, opel or vw.
    good economy.
    if you are doing high mileage go for a ford or toyota.

biko wrote: »

The little number under the heading 'Reliability Index', what is that measuring or referring to do you know?

• Advertisement

It's their own indexing value.

This is the explanation
    The UK Reliability index takes into account all factors of a repair, the cost of the parts and the frequency of failures - The Average of all cars is 100 which means that if the figure for the car you are looking at has a higher than average index (118) it indicates that that car is less reliable than the average, if however there is a lower than average index (60) the reliability is better.

Separately to this figure you can also look at the average cost of repairs for a particular make or model, a car with a good reliability index and a high average cost would imply that the frequency of failure is low, however when it does fail the bill will be a lot more than the average. Toyota, for example, has a high average cost of repair but quite a good index rating - which means that the car fails infrequently but when it does you will be in for a larger than average bill. Overall however, Toyota is a very strong make of car to buy.

I have a plan 'A' and plan 'B' for the next 12 months. Plan 'A' involves not doing very many miles. Plan 'B' involves a lot more miles.

I'd be happy with a petrol car, there just aren't very many for sale at the minute and I want to get something fairly soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a 2005 1.4 petrol and the power steering pump went on mine. There is a common fault with the pipe that connects the pump to the fluid and this eventually causes the pump to fail meaning a new pump and pipe. You can preempt this by just replacing the pipe before it destroys the pump and both need replacing.

Ford eventually fixed the issue, so might not be a problem on 08 onwards but worth looking into.

Thanks biko, I didn't see that but that's what I thought at first but the numbers don't get higher as you go down the list. They are a bit higgledy piggledy. Surely the car that ranks no.1 should have the lowest value with the values increasing going down the list?

I've had three Toyotas. I wanted an Auris, but ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I had a 08 focus, 1.6l diesel. I loved it, but it was the most costly car I've ever owned in terms of repairs. The dpf went in it, and I was doing a LOT of miles- so regeneration/cleaning shouldn't have been an issue. I was told it's a common enough problem in them- particularly in the ones imported from the uk- I dont know if this is right or wrong. I wouldn't consider it if you're doing low mileage- I wouldn't buy any diesel car if you're not doing high miles though!

I've a 2005 1.4 petrol and the power steering pump went on mine. There is a common fault with the pipe that connects the pump to the fluid and this eventually causes the pump to fail meaning a new pump and pipe. You can preempt this by just replacing the pipe before it destroys the pump and both need replacing.

Ford eventually fixed the issue, so might not be a problem on 08 onwards but worth looking into.

A few people have told me there are issues with 03 - 06 models but have good reports on slightly newer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

I had a 1.6d 2007 Focus - great mpg and had normal servicing costs until the instrument cluster went. Seems it's a common fault from what I read online at the time.

Replacement costs were around the 800euro mark - and that was not from a trade garage/main dealer: that would have been close to 1300 if I remember right.

Was high miles - around 175km - when it went. The worrying thing was, the instrument cluster came from a breaker, who's miles were 60km. The guy changing it asked did I want to keep the low mileage on it (thanks, but no thanks) but there could be a risk of this for second hand models, so check the service history/mileage records.

I wouldn't buy a Focus secondhand privately after that experience, but I would from a dealer with proper warranty. Hope this is some help. All cars have a flaws though - don't rule it out, the car served me very well over the 2/3 years and 100km+ that I had it.

What about a hybrid like a Prius? Will offer you the best of both worlds - ultra reliability especially on short trips while still offering good fuel economy on longer trips:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Prius/1.5-T3/8062769609314183259/

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've bought one since I last posted. I bought it from a mechanic has new timing kit, tyres and brakes and long nct and the mileage is good. I think it was a fair deal for both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The diesel mk2 Focus and the petrols 1.8 and bigger all have electric power steering which doesn't have that problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I had a 2005 1.6 diesel (160K)and my wife still has a 2005 1.4 petrol(175K). Both are good cars and were / reliable (I've since changed to a Alfa 159)

Some problems that have popped up recently on my wifes car are the bonnet lock jamming and then causing the plastic connector between the lock and key barrelled to snap. Pig of a job to open the bonnet if your unlucky - you may have to break the grill to get in there to open the bonnet to replace the lock and connector. Google "2005 focus bonnet lock" to read more. Grease the lock and barrell with silicone grease NOT WD40 and you should fix this one - if the lock gets stiff and feels dirty replace it as its cheap on eBay and is easy to replace.

Second common problem that's affecting her focus is the boot lock. there is an electric switch (the one you use to manually open the boot) and then its connected to a solenoid that moves the lock itself. Apparently water gets in past the number plate and damages the switch or solenoid. I haven't replace these parts yet so I cant comment on prices yet.

One thing I liked about our 2 cars was that I can work on them myself easily and as they are so common there is a huge wealth of information on the web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I forgot to say although both were 2005 they are the newer shape Mark 2 I think

Advertisement