Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zizzi restaurant Dundrum - vegan thumbs up

• 01-07-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭

Since turning vegan I've not had a decent meal out, including a disastrous visit to the happy pear, which was crushingly disappointing. But last Wednesday on our staff night out I had a very nice cheese-less pizza and a superfood salad in Milanos in Dundrum. So I headed there again tonight with my wife but they were full up.

So. It was raining so we wandered impromptu like into this place next to Jamie Olivers, called Zizzi's. And they had a vegan specific menu!!! I nearly kissed the waitress :).

I had an absolutely delicious pizza with this rice milk mozzarella cheese on it, and a top notch minty butternut squash salad thing, and then a fab coconut/mango gelatin with candied pecans.

Pardon my french but it was all fcuking gorgeous :D

Such a delight to eat out and eat well and not always to be suffering a compromise. And not a bean in sight!! An extra treat considering I'd spent the day boiling black beans and soya beans making two different mixes to replenish my freezer stocks with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

surprised to hear that about the happy pear, what did you not like about it?

Chilli Banana in Drumcondra is a lovely spot for a nice meal out if you've not tried there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭fat bloke

--LOS-- wrote: »
    surprised to hear that about the happy pear, what did you not like about it?

Chilli Banana in Drumcondra is a lovely spot for a nice meal out if you've not tried there

Never heard of that. Must put it on my list, though I'm rarely over that way.

Happy Pear? Service was so amateur, it was unforgivably poor. Food was ordinary. I didn't eat anything I couldn't have made myself, and the excuse for pizza they put up for the kids was embarrassing. My first-bite-thought in Zizzi' s was, get that pair over here so they see how a pizza can taste.

Maybe the Pear's reputation raised my expectations, but either way, I'll not be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

I usually don't bother with the vegan cheeses on pizza but would have the zizzi rice milk thing again.

The burger next door in the counter is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I usually don't bother with the vegan cheeses on pizza but would have the zizzi rice milk thing again.

The burger next door in the counter is good too.

Really yeah? Cool. Is it beany or veggie?

I didnt know vegan / non dairy cheese was a thing at all. But I must say it was nice to reacquaint myself with that creamy/cheesy taste and texture. If you'd asked me I wouldn't have said I'd missed it at all, but... yeah, it was a real treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

It's beany sort of but it's deep fried beyond recognition as any organic substance :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

That is great news Fat Bloke, thanks for sharing.

I am veggie but the whole vegetarian cheese thing makes it hard for me to eat out in the majority of Italian restaurants so the fact this restaurant has even gone to extra lengths and provided a vegan menus is a huge thumbs up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

If anyone is wondering about Zizzi’s vegetarian menu and if the cheese they use is really suitable for vegetarians – see this-

https://www.zizzi.co.uk/blog/2012/happy-vegetarian-week/

“…. We’ve been working very hard to make more Zizzi dishes suitable for vegetarians because it’s not about offering just a standard vegetarian option; it’s about offering a delicious, meat-free dish that even a non-veggie would order. In the words of that ominous ghost voice from Field of Dreams – “If you cook it…they will come” (loosely based on the actual script).

We’ve recently upgraded our cheeses so they’re suitable for a wider audience. That means our fresh Ricotta, Mozzarella, Goats Cheese, Mascarpone and our newest Riserva (it’s an Italian hard cheese, kind of like Parmigian…except not, because it’s vegetarian) are all suitable for our veggie friends. In fact, since the new menu launched we now have over 40 dishes that are already vegetarian or can be made vegetarian just by making a simple substitution. ….“

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

fat bloke wrote: »
    Since turning vegan I've not had a decent meal out, including a disastrous visit to the happy pear, which was crushingly disappointing. But last Wednesday on our staff night out I had a very nice cheese-less pizza and a superfood salad in Milanos in Dundrum. So I headed there again tonight with my wife but they were full up.

So. It was raining so we wandered impromptu like into this place next to Jamie Olivers, called Zizzi's. And they had a vegan specific menu!!! I nearly kissed the waitress :).

I had an absolutely delicious pizza with this rice milk mozzarella cheese on it, and a top notch minty butternut squash salad thing, and then a fab coconut/mango gelatin with candied pecans.

Pardon my french but it was all fcuking gorgeous :D

Such a delight to eat out and eat well and not always to be suffering a compromise. And not a bean in sight!! An extra treat considering I'd spent the day boiling black beans and soya beans making two different mixes to replenish my freezer stocks with.
    Sova vegan butcher restaurant just opened by wheelans, try it out. Another great spot for vegan food is mulligan grocers, you have to ask for the vegan menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Just to add to this, I love going to Cornucopia out on Wicklow street. Great food and really nice staff. My girlfriend and I are both vegan and can't get enough of their food.

I find eating out in Dublin to be quite difficult and often say I'm lactose intolerant/ allergic to seafood if the dish contains either or. This way I don't get any strange looks about mentioning the whole veganism thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I think getting strange looks is a price worth paying for spreading awareness about veganism and it shows that we actually exist and we wish to be catered for. You can't expect places to cater for vegans if they don't think they have any vegan customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement