Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for practical advice

• 02-07-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My mother unexpectedly died a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone practical advice on how to deal with the government / companies (mobile phone etc).
    My dad is now on his own ( in his 80's) and does not know where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly received.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

First of all, my sincere condolences on your loss.

The attached links should give you / your dad a good bit of guidance as regards various things that may need to be sorted.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/when_someone_dies_in_ireland.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/checklists/checklist_of_things_to_do_following_a_bereavement.html

I hope that it helps. It is a difficult time for all of you, I am sure. Take one step at a time. For example, in some instances a death certificate may be required, in order to progress matters, so maybe start with sorting that.

It can be distressing trying to sort out things very quickly, so just do what you and he are able for, one step at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi Lynne, this is exactly what I was looking for, many thanks, and also many thanks for the condolences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Get two copies of the death cert, minimum - though they are expensive. When things are being sorted everyone needs the cert at the same time. Make sure you have a copy of the marriage cert,someone is sure to need it.

Keep a list of what documents you have sent to who. Have a folder of all the stuff you need to sort, and remove the papers as you sort them, into a filing system.

If you can set up a table in a quiet corner that will not be disturbed, keep all the papers in order there, it will make life much easier. If there is a good filing system, then you are halfway there. If papers are tucked away in odd corners then gather everything together and go through it to see what is relevant and what is not.

You will need to advise Social Welfare of the different circumstances - there are things like living alone allowance, and some things may need to be moved into your fathers name. You should have been supplied with a special Social Welfare death cert stamped to say that that is what it is (it is only €1)

You may need to advise Electricity supplier, phone, tv services, any government departments (revenue, for example) of the change of circumstances.

Check what bank accounts, post office savings, or any other savings, insurances, loans there might be. If there is a Credit Union account in her name there may well be a death benefit payable.

Your father may have to change his will, depending on how it was set up. If there was no will then you might have problems with some of the savings/bank accounts - State Savings (Post Office) need huge amounts of information, confirmation and certificates.

You may wish to check on the ownership of the house and take advice on whether anything needs to be done about it.

Did she drive? Ownership of the car, insurance etc may have to be sorted.

Did she manage the affairs of the household? If she did you will probably have to explain to your father in what is being done, make sure he understands it all and write it down for him. If he is really not able to cope then you may have to get his authority to handle things for him. I suggest you talk to a solicitor about that.

Advertisement