Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI staff told me to go to Dunnes or Tesco

Options
  • 02-07-2016 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Had a bad day today and on my way home decided to get few things for dinner, mainly only the seeds bread.
    Waited in the queue nicely and patient for other people then, when my turn came, by the time I moved the trolley the staff began scanning the items and stacked them on top of each other on that small table beside the cash machine.

Me:
    Why do you scan so fast, why don't wait for me?
    Staff:
    Part of training, we have to be fast.
    Me:
    Then please stop topping them on top, slow down please.
    Staff:
    Sorry, training
    Me:
    If I were in Dunnes or Tesco, staff will have been waiting, smiling talking and even sometime helping me with the bag !
    Staff, smiling:
    Why are you here then, why don't you go to Tesco or Dunnes !!
    Me:
    Well, as feedback, tell your managers that I'm not happy with the way you are dealing with my paid food.
    Staff:
    Part of staff training.
    Me:
    That's not nice what you're saying !
    Staff:
    Then you can go to Dunnes!

Then, at the payment time:
    Staff:
    Cash or card!?
    Me, smillng ironic:
    Why do you want to know, what's the difference !?
    Staff:
    We need to know, part of the training !

I lost it at that moment, took the items and run home.

Now, i am planning to lodge a feedback form to ALDI main office in relation to my experience.
    Then, go back to shop, ask for Supervisor and for that particular staff member and request that if sending pissed-off customers to Dunnes or Tesco is part of the staff training or just staff personal opinion !!

I don't care about the staff "training" after my meeting as never ever myself or my family will walk in to that shop again !

What do you make of it, i'm I over reacting !?
    Any one in same experience !?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

You sound insane. Everybody knows what you get in ALDI / LIDL, cheap products and fast service. If you want someone to go nice and slowly and have a chat then yeah, go to Tesco.

Like wow, get some real problems :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aldi staff are amongst the rudest out there and the customer care don't give a damn. They also don't seem to understand that they support areas that Aren't Scotland - they're all in Scotland and quote Scottish law whether you're in England/Wales or here. You could easily have been dealing with a supervisor or manager on the tills, they are pretty much all that bad.

I've managed to a find branch not staffed by the standard rude ones, but I've little confidence it'll last.

HOWEVER - they do need to know cash or card as till systems do need to be told to send the transaction to the EPP, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I find the staff very friendly in lidl/aldi they are under pressure to check people out quickly.

If you want slow cashiers I would advise Dunnes

Yep, you're over reacting

No one goes to lidl or Aldi for their customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

That's part of their training, the speed they scan items is collected and they get in trouble if it's too slow.

What a silly thing to worry about, if you want cheap food accept the service as it is. If you want niceties go elsewhere

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Hi All,

Had a bad day today and on my way home decided to get few things for dinner, mainly only the seeds bread.
    Waited in the queue nicely and patient for other people then, when my turn came, by the time I moved the trolley the staff began scanning the items and stacked them on top of each other on that small table beside the cash machine.

Me:
    Why do you scan so fast, why don't wait for me?
    Staff:
    Part of training, we have to be fast.
    Me:
    Then please stop topping them on top, slow down please.
    Staff:
    Sorry, training
    Me:
    If I were in Dunnes or Tesco, staff will have been waiting, smiling talking and even sometime helping me with the bag !
    Staff, smiling:
    Why are you here then, why don't you go to Tesco or Dunnes !!
    Me:
    Well, as feedback, tell your managers that I'm not happy with the way you are dealing with my paid food.
    Staff:
    Part of staff training.
    Me:
    That's not nice what you're saying !
    Staff:
    Then you can go to Dunnes!

Then, at the payment time:
    Staff:
    Cash or card!?
    Me, smillng ironic:
    Why do you want to know, what's the difference !?
    Staff:
    We need to know, part of the training !

I lost it at that moment, took the items and run home.

Now, i am planning to lodge a feedback form to ALDI main office in relation to my experience.
    Then, go back to shop, ask for Supervisor and for that particular staff member and request that if sending pissed-off customers to Dunnes or Tesco is part of the staff training or just staff personal opinion !!

I don't care about the staff "training" after my meeting as never ever myself or my family will walk in to that shop again !

What do you make of it, i'm I over reacting !?
    Any one in same experience !?

Thanks.

Honestly?

You sound like a nightmare to either serve or to have been behind in a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm glad I wasn't waiting in the queue behind you.

Sounds like the Checkout Operator was doing their job correctly and you looking for someone to pick an argument with.

A few things in a trolley?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A smile from the customer works wonders.

At least at my Aldi/Lidl. They are great.

But then again, I know the drill, have the trolley pulled around, put the stuff into it (My Way lol), have the card out to pay, and move along smartish like!

Don't see what the problem is really.

Just smile, don't engage, they are at work FGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Oahh...thanks for replies !
    Didn't even had time to press refresh!

I thought I am over reacting but if that staff will be have worked for me, will be sent to be retained until she is sick and resigns ! :)
    So lucky...

I don't want chat or niceties or favours !
    I want respect for my paid items /food and for my hard earned cash paying their wages !
    The smiling face telling me to go to other stores lacks the least minimum respect of staff towards any kind of customer, no matter what type, colour, time, speed, day or night !!!

Is common sense and I learned a lesson.
    If that cannot be found in ALDI, then never ALDI again !
    Dunne's or Tesco can have my money.

Have fun !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's part of their business model and it helps keep their prices lower.
    I like that they work fast. I want to get in, get out and go home.

The only thing that ever feels rude to me when I'm in a supermarket is if I'm paying too much for something. And I've never felt that way coming out of Aldi.

They have loads of Irish produce too which is great.

rolion wrote: »
    Oahh...thanks for replies !
    Didn't even had time to press refresh!

I thought I am over reacting but if that staff will be have worked for me, will be sent to be retained until she is sick and resigns ! :)
    So lucky...

I don't want chat or niceties or favours !
    I want respect for my paid items /food and for my hard earned cash paying their wages !
    The smiling face telling me to go to other stores lacks the least minimum respect of staff towards any kind of customer, no matter what type, colour, time, speed, day or night !!!

Is common sense and I learned a lesson.
    If that cannot be found in ALDI, then never ALDI again !
    Dunne's or Tesco can have my money.

Have fun !

You sound lovely- hoping a person has to quit their job through illness

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

L1011 wrote: »
    Aldi staff are amongst the rudest out there and the customer care don't give a damn. They also don't seem to understand that they support areas that Aren't Scotland - they're all in Scotland and quote Scottish law whether you're in England/Wales or here. You could easily have been dealing with a supervisor or manager on the tills, they are pretty much all that bad.

I've managed to a find branch not staffed by the standard rude ones, but I've little confidence it'll last.

HOWEVER - they do need to know cash or card as till systems do need to be told to send the transaction to the EPP, for instance.

I find them quiet friendly

It's part of their business model and it helps keep their prices lower.
    I like that they work fast. I want to get in, get out and go home.

The only thing that ever feels rude to me when I'm in a supermarket is if I'm paying too much for something. And I've never felt that way coming out of Aldi.

They have loads of Irish produce too which is great.

I'm loving this user name! 😀

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It baffles me how people can find Aldi/Lidl's checkout speed too fast? Just lift items into the trolley and pack (at your leisure) on the packing shelf.

Would much rather be in a fast-moving Aldi queue than stuck behind one person placing everything neatly into bags and chatting to the operator for 5+ minutes in Tesco/Dunnes/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yep, you're over reacting

No one goes to lidl or Aldi for their customer service

In my opinion, a fast and efficient checkout *is* good customer service. I've absolutely no time for the dawdling that takes place in Tesco etc.

And in my local Aldi (and Lidl too), the staff are all very friendly. The fact that they are actually both able and allowed to think for themselves is quite a positive too, and eliminates the endless waiting for somebody more capable whenever things don't happen exactly as expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

The only thing that annoys me in shops are people expecting some kind of experience. Just get your stuff, pay for it as efficiently as possible and then get out of my way.

I do the same for everyone else.

If you are a bit slow, try online shopping and let the rest of us save a bit of stress having to wait behind you while you are flummoxed by putting a few items into a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Unexpected item or person in the bagging area......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I know where I'd have told you to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The whole point of minimal shelf area beside till is so chuck all your stuff into ur trolley and go ( and pack elsewhere) I would guess that's why its level with trolley too..... for easy chucking!

I bet u were also THAT annoying customer who packed everything slowly and as u liked before paying too! I think even the owner of aldi would have given you a lift to dunnes !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I know where I'd have told you to go.

Dunnes/Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭scuderia

I currently work in retail and people like you are extremely annoying. Just get on with your life. Lodging complaints, never coming back to the shop. Do you really think they care? They make millions upon millions every year. One customer that decides to never go back to that shop is replaced by 10 new people that do.

Move on and stop wasting your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

In fairness I think the op isn't communicating what happened properly...

It sounds like they were still emptying stuff from the trolly onto the belt whilst the operator was going full pelt and stacking the items with absolutely no regard for whether they were being damaged. Because the op was still trying to put groceries on the belt, OP couldn't get the scanned goods back into the trolly.

Fast is fine until it becomes fast and ignorant of causing damage to goods that they will then expect you to pay for. Oh and I mean more squashed bread and bruised fruit than smashed jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I actually agree I can see your I understand how it saves money for them to stack the shelves in boxes and all that kind of no frills stacking. But how does it save money to just f*ck all your stuff in the trolley without even giving you the chance to bag your stuff. I don't mind they're lack of music in fact I quite like it or they're poor prevention of the goods but that the way they scan your goods just gets on my nerves. Why do they even put 4 or 5 checkouts in their stores when its rare that more than 2 ever open? The rudness of the staff is probably due to the fact from what I hear they are treated like sh1t much worse than tesco or dunnes which get a bad rep because of trade unions bad mouthing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

rolion wrote:
    I thought I am over reacting but if that staff will be have worked for me, will be sent to be retained until she is sick and resigns ! So lucky...

You are overreacting and I think you should go to Tesco so that I can get my lovely boxed aldi steaks without people like you complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Op I would have grabbed you by the collar, <SNIP> out the door.

This is the business model and the offering. For many, Aldi are and were the only beacon of decency in hard times. Absolutely go to Dunnes or Tesco if it is a different offering you are looking for. You are seriously, seriously not clued in at all with that post. My mate is an area manager in Cork and let me tell you this - he wouldn't give a sh!te. You are living on Google too much if you think 'the customer is always right' and many other fallacies peddled out there. Business thinking has moved on. Not all customers are of the same financial or strategic value to an organisation, and organisations are understanding that better. If I was Aldi I wouldn't want you in the store at all.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    In fairness I think the op isn't communicating what happened properly...

It sounds like they were still emptying stuff from the trolly onto the belt whilst the operator was going full pelt and stacking the items with absolutely no regard for whether they were being damaged. Because the op was still trying to put groceries on the belt, OP couldn't get the scanned goods back into the trolly.

Fast is fine until it becomes fast and ignorant of causing damage to goods that they will then expect you to pay for. Oh and I mean more squashed bread and bruised fruit than smashed jar.

Never saw anyone yet take that long to get a trolley of stuff on the belt that wasnt a messer id pay to avoid

Get in, get stuff, get paid, get out, keep out of my way while youre at it, and never (ever ever) take your bad day out on someone serving the public

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

take ur head out of ur arse,they r cheap for a reason

PS: U could wait till ladders are on offer,buy 1 and get over yourself FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    I find them quiet friendly

Nominally local branch are all terrible
    Branch nearest work are all terrible
    Branch nearest my parents house are all terrible (albeit the least terrible of the three)
    Branch a few minutes further from my house are the exact opposite. Not sure how, not sure if it'll last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement