Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI staff told me to go to Dunnes or Tesco

Options

Comments

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I actually agree I can see your I understand how it saves money for them to stack the shelves in boxes and all that kind of no frills stacking. But how does it save money to just f*ck all your stuff in the trolley without even giving you the chance to bag your stuff. I don't mind they're lack of music in fact I quite like it or they're poor prevention of the goods but that the way they scan your goods just gets on my nerves. Why do they even put 4 or 5 checkouts in their stores when its rare that more than 2 ever open? The rudness of the staff is probably due to the fact from what I hear they are treated like sh1t much worse than tesco or dunnes which get a bad rep because of trade unions bad mouthing them.

Saves money because its quicker

On yr last point, in order of happy staff, aldi/lidl pay well and tesco treat you well.

Dunnes are terrible to work for and anyone i ever spoke to with retail experience would have agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Aldi are extremely efficient. They are trained to serve customers quickly.

It astounds me when I go into my local SuperValu and some staff potter around at snails pace stacking shelves, while the ones at the till have lengthy conversations with the customers.

The Aldi method is the way forward. I agree that sometimes they do go overboard but they need to hit certain targets and seem to always be conscious of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Staff in my aldi are lovely, it's very obvious that they have to follow a procedure on the till, so the fast scanning doesn't bother me. I'd rather that, then seeing one of them pulled aside and given out to. We've all been in jobs where you have to act or do something a certain way, despite gritting your teeth behind it.

Total over reaction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

But how does it save money to just f*ck all your stuff in the trolley without even giving you the chance to bag your stuff.

The long shelf against the window is for you to sort out and bag your shopping if you need it.

If you double the checkout time while you neatly rearrange your grapes into alphabetical order, you also double the number of staff required to serve the same volume of customers. That drives up costs for everyone.

But how does it save money to just f*ck all your stuff in the trolley without even giving you the chance to bag your stuff.

The whole point of the shelves behind the tills is so that customers throw everything in to the trolley, and then can bag them at the shelves. You can spend all day at the shelves if you wanted to. It means that the queue moves quickly, as no one has to wait for people to pack everything away. It's brilliantly efficient and I can't believe people would complain about it.

Edit: Snap Graham!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

On yr last point, in order of happy staff, aldi/lidl pay well and tesco treat you well.

Dunnes are terrible to work for and anyone i ever spoke to with retail experience would have agreed

I may be wrong put I have heard that lidl don't pay their staff for doing overtime just a basic wage and that's that it they may have improved now as this is going back to pre recession years when only Eastern Europeans ever worked in their shop. I have heard that dunnes do treat their staff well since they are always friendly and courteous if they were treated like crap I could see them being any bit friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

scuderia wrote: »
    I currently work in retail and people like you are extremely annoying. Just get on with your life. Lodging complaints, never coming back to the shop. Do you really think they care? They make millions upon millions every year. One customer that decides to never go back to that shop is replaced by 10 new people that do.

Move on and stop wasting your time.

When I worked in retail it was people will tell 20 friends about a bad experience but only 5 about a good one.

A rule in any customer facing job is to treat everyone the same way as you want to be treated yourself. If you are rude to a customer expect them to be rude back.

I see both Lidl and Aldi got hauled over the coals in the UK about false advertising.. Yet the same ads are still on TV here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

EIREDriver wrote: »
    The whole point of the shelves behind the tills is so that customers throw everything in to the trolley, and then can bag them at the shelves. You can spend all day at the shelves if you wanted to. It means that the queue moves quickly, as no one has to wait for people to pack everything away. It's brilliantly efficient and I can't believe people would complain about it.

I like to put all the cold stuff together so it is easier to put things in the fridge when I get in tesco or dunnes you put segregate all the cold stuff on the conveyor so they will be scanned and bagged together in lidl or aldi that system makes it twice as hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I actually agree I can see your I understand how it saves money for them to stack the shelves in boxes and all that kind of no frills stacking. But how does it save money to just f*ck all your stuff in the trolley without even giving you the chance to bag your stuff. I don't mind they're lack of music in fact I quite like it or they're poor prevention of the goods but that the way they scan your goods just gets on my nerves. Why do they even put 4 or 5 checkouts in their stores when its rare that more than 2 ever open? The rudness of the staff is probably due to the fact from what I hear they are treated like sh1t much worse than tesco or dunnes which get a bad rep because of trade unions bad mouthing them.

You have to logically load the conveyer so that you can get stuff into the trolley or bag in order, it's a simple concept like having the change ready to pay for the bus as you complain about wanting 5 minutes for the bus. They have a shelf past the tills to put your items in your bags.

They have multiple tills as once more 2 people are standing beyond the end of the conveyer they open another till.

I much rather the service in Aldi/Lidl which is efficient than Dunnes where I've stood in a queue at the only open till while several members of staff store chatting or Tesco where at least the staff have the decency to not stand behind closed tills chatting while you wait 10 minutes for person to scan a few items

I take all the packaging off my food when I'm at the shelf.
    I throw all plastic etc in the bin, & just bring home what I want .
    So in that way, it's actually better than Dunne's or tesco , at least I don't have to bring home crap I don't want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I always like the speed the Aldi staff go at the checkouts. It makes the dreaded weekly shop nice and quick. I never heard anyone ever complain that they were going too fast.

Aldi is a German company and the staff are trained in 'German efficiency'. If you are looking for the Irish 'Howya hun', chit-chat then I would have told you to go to SuperValue. ;)

I like to put all the cold stuff together so it is easier to put things in the fridge when I get in tesco or dunnes you put segregate all the cold stuff on the conveyor so they will be scanned and bagged together in lidl or aldi that system makes it twice as hard.

Can't see how it makes it harder? Chuck everything into trolley. Pay for your shopping, move over to the shelves, open your bags and then arrange your shopping however the hell you like.

It's actually probably better as you have all the time in the world at the shelves, while no matter how laid back Tesco etc are, you do feel conscious of the people behind you when packing stuff away at their checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

In my experience staff in Aldi are hard working, efficient, helpful and polite. The store offers good quality products at low prices and to achieve this they operate a low cost model including fast checkout where you are expected to load quickly into your trolley, pay and then take as much time as you like putting everything into bags in the loading areas between the tills and the exit door.

If you don't like this model stop holding up the rest of us and go somewhere else.

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

bubblypop wrote: »
    So in that way, it's actually better than Dunne's or tesco , at least I don't have to bring home crap I don't want.

That's a great idea that I never thought of. I'm going to do that from now on. Thanks!

A lot of Aldi shops now have a big box that you can throw all the packaging into. Great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i love that they beep things soo quickly

The only thing I buy there is plants when they have them. Would never buy raw produce..

Raw chicken above prepackaged bacon.. Great idea. They should maybe train staff in food safety before scanning stuff quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

The only thing I don't like about Aldi, is when you go to the checkout to buy alcohol. You could be 70, and as gray as a badger, and they'd still ask you for ID. :pac:

Conas wrote: »
    I always like the speed the Aldi staff go at the checkouts.

+1

Am I the only person that treats the checkout at Aldi/Lidl as a competitive sport? The aim of the game is to get the stuff into the trolley fast enough so that you're waiting for the checkout staff to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

rolion wrote: »
    Oahh...thanks for replies !
    Didn't even had time to press refresh!

I thought I am over reacting but if that staff will be have worked for me, will be sent to be retained until she is sick and resigns ! :)
    So lucky...

I don't want chat or niceties or favours !
    I want respect for my paid items /food and for my hard earned cash paying their wages !
    The smiling face telling me to go to other stores lacks the least minimum respect of staff towards any kind of customer, no matter what type, colour, time, speed, day or night !!!

Is common sense and I learned a lesson.
    If that cannot be found in ALDI, then never ALDI again !
    Dunne's or Tesco can have my money.

Have fun !

Absolutely ridiculous. Do everyone a favour and buy your shopping online, that way you'll get all the "respect" you need.

The staff member was doing their job, serving as many people as possible in a busy store, so the last thing they, or the other people in the queue need, is someone who's purposely moving slowly and looking for an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I may be wrong put I have heard that lidl don't pay their staff for doing overtime just a basic wage and that's that it they may have improved now as this is going back to pre recession years when only Eastern Europeans ever worked in their shop. I have heard that dunnes do treat their staff well since they are always friendly and courteous if they were treated like crap I could see them being any bit friendly.

https://www.google.ie/?q=dunnes%20zero%20hour%20contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The only thing I buy there is plants when they have them. Would never buy raw produce..

Raw chicken above prepackaged bacon.. Great idea. They should maybe train staff in food safety before scanning stuff quick.

Bacon needs to be cooked too, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Personally I enjoy how fast the entire checkout process is. I class it as cardio. Then I do walking squats out through the exit and deadlift the shopping into the boot of the car. Gym and shopping done. Head home then and lie on the couch while the quare-hawk makes the grub. I have it all figured out.

The air-tight, liquid-tight packaging probably reduces the cross-contamination risks a little.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Personally I enjoy how fast the entire checkout process is. I class it as cardio.

See, someone gets it.

I have never seen chicken above bacon?
    Doesnt happen

Bacon needs to be cooked too, you know.

Good luck!

Raw chicken juice dripping over plastic packaging. You could get I'll by just picking it up. But sure its cheap!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/bbc-good-food-guide-handling-raw-chicken

I have never seen chicken above bacon?
    Doesnt happen

You should pay a visit to Lidl Rathmines then.. I did report them so hopefully the have changed...

Good luck!

Raw chicken juice dripping over plastic packaging. You could get I'll by just picking it up. But sure its cheap!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/bbc-good-food-guide-handling-raw-chicken

Unless you're unwrapping your chicken and rashers at the checkout, I just don't see that as a common scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

You should pay a visit to Lidl Rathmines then.. I did report them so hopefully the have changed...

There was a salmonella outbreak in rathmines? Must have been a big one due to the volume at that store. Surprised I never heard about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement