Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI staff told me to go to Dunnes or Tesco

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Graham wrote: »
    Unless you're unwrapping your chicken and rashers at the checkout, I just don't see that as a common scenario.

The wrapping on a whole chicken is not 100% air/water tight. You get condensation etc..

M&S came up with a cook in the packaging that means you never have to handle raw chicken again.

The also made it available to Tesco, Lidl etc for free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The wrapping on a whole chicken is not 100% air/water tight. You get condensation etc..

M&S came up with a cook in the packaging that means you never have to handle raw chicken again.

The also made it available to Tesco, Lidl etc for free.

Condensation does not equal leaking.

Personally, I've no issue with handling raw produce after its unwrapped. Naturally I'd wash my hands well both before and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

FortySeven wrote: »
    There was a salmonella outbreak in rathmines? Must have been a big one due to the volume at that store. Surprised I never heard about it.

Its not salmonella you need to worry about.. Cryptosporidium...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

prinzeugen wrote:
    Raw chicken juice dripping over plastic packaging. You could get I'll by just picking it up. But sure its cheap!

Oh come on. The juice only drips if you've damaged the packaging. All of the outer packaging of raw meats is classed as contaminated, whether it's chicken over bacon or vice versa. Pack all raw meats separately and you're fine.

I bet you're one of those that washes their raw chicken in the sink too :)

OP are you insane?! Sure that's the only bit of craic involved with going to Lidl/Aldi - The 'head to head' race at the till against the cashier when you're done. Me with my basket and bag versus him/her with their scanner and strict training. Those rare times when I've all my available groceries in my bag but I'm still waiting on the cashier to scan more through, ah well they are great times indeed. If you're faster at bagging them than they are at scanning them, you should head for the Olympics.

I aquite like their no-nonsense approach at the checkouts in Aldi/Lidl. No matter how long I feel I'm standing in a queue in there, I know that the cashier at the till is going hell for leather to get through that queue as quick as possible, and not chatting away to Mary about her new flower baskets and Feilim's hip replacement. Plus, they even give a smile and a 'hello' if you do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

rolion wrote: »
    Hi All,

Had a bad day today and on my way home decided to get few things for dinner, mainly only the seeds bread.
    Waited in the queue nicely and patient for other people then, when my turn came, by the time I moved the trolley the staff began scanning the items and stacked them on top of each other on that small table beside the cash machine.

Me:
    Why do you scan so fast, why don't wait for me?
    Staff:
    Part of training, we have to be fast.
    Me:
    Then please stop topping them on top, slow down please.
    Staff:
    Sorry, training
    Me:
    If I were in Dunnes or Tesco, staff will have been waiting, smiling talking and even sometime helping me with the bag !
    Staff, smiling:
    Why are you here then, why don't you go to Tesco or Dunnes !!
    Me:
    Well, as feedback, tell your managers that I'm not happy with the way you are dealing with my paid food.
    Staff:
    Part of staff training.
    Me:
    That's not nice what you're saying !
    Staff:
    Then you can go to Dunnes!

Then, at the payment time:
    Staff:
    Cash or card!?
    Me, smillng ironic:
    Why do you want to know, what's the difference !?
    Staff:
    We need to know, part of the training !

I lost it at that moment, took the items and run home.

Now, i am planning to lodge a feedback form to ALDI main office in relation to my experience.
    Then, go back to shop, ask for Supervisor and for that particular staff member and request that if sending pissed-off customers to Dunnes or Tesco is part of the staff training or just staff personal opinion !!

I don't care about the staff "training" after my meeting as never ever myself or my family will walk in to that shop again !

What do you make of it, i'm I over reacting !?
    Any one in same experience !?

Thanks.

When I get a rude person at the till I'm very polite and friendly at the end of the transaction I say I pay in cash and reach into my pocket and pull out big handful of change and count it out slowly and then if I still owe money.pay the rest with a debit card...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,268 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Seriously! Just pack yer stuff, pay for it and just get the fook out.
    The Golden Rule of shopping. And think of the people behind you.
    It's not all about you! I hate people like you. People with a way too much time on their hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Must admit that I love the Aldi & Lidl way of scanning. Like a previous poster, I treat it as a challenge. I load the conveyor belt with big heavy items first and so on. Then I have my bags standing & open in the trolley so I can pack quickly. Or I simply put everything into the trolley and then pack at the boot of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kmacs1988

Ffs. .quit complaining ! Do it faster ..You obviously don't know how annoying it is working on the tills and someone doddles along at their own pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I may be wrong put I have heard that lidl don't pay their staff for doing overtime just a basic wage and that's that it they may have improved now as this is going back to pre recession years when only Eastern Europeans ever worked in their shop. I have heard that dunnes do treat their staff well since they are always friendly and courteous if they were treated like crap I could see them being any bit friendly.

Always beware of what you "hear" - usually its someone from one side dissing the other.

Aldi and Lidl pay the highest standard rates in the industry, but they don't do "overtime" as this is some unionised bull prevalent in the dark ages.

If Aldi or lidl want you to work an extra hour, then you get paid your standard rate which is 15% higher than dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I fervently hope I never end up behind the OP in any queue. I love Aldi or Lidl for their ethos regarding check out pace and procedure. Most people want to get their shopping done quickly and expeditiously and it bugs me when:-

....people dawdle on green lights at a junction holding everyone behind them up.

...people fumble in their pockets or purses when its time to pay instead of having their cash or card ready.

...small talkers wasting the cashiers and everyone elses time.

....people in a petrol station queues looking for cigarettes, scratch cards, lotto tickets or something not readily available so that the one working attendant has to walk away from the till to field the request holding everybody else in the queue up. I once saw an old lady hold up a queue for 10 minutes with five different requests for such items and ice cream and stuff from the deli etc....only one attendant for all the services a lot of which were self service but the old lady "didn't know how to use them".
    The remaining 5 or 6 people in the queue got through in LESS time than that one old lady and there would not have been any build up only for her dawdling and slowness.

One place I go to has recently hired a new manager whose favourite catch phrase is "I'll take you over here" when he spots potential dawdlers and queue builders lurking in his shop. Normally the cashier is left to run the till but the manager steps in when the slow characters show up. Before he was hired queues of up to 10 people would form because of the delaying tactics of some of these slow people, other people would abandon their selected items and go elsewhere, three other shops nearby so plenty of choice.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread slow people are seen by most retailers as a loss making or profit reducing phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Graham wrote: »
    +1

Am I the only person that treats the checkout at Aldi/Lidl as a competitive sport? The aim of the game is to get the stuff into the trolley fast enough so that you're waiting for the checkout staff to catch up.
    No, but Ido cheat a bit by strategically placing something that has to be weighed in the middle of my shopping to slow down their scanning for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

OP you sound like an over-privileged nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I largely blame neoclassical theory for this kind of behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

scuderia wrote: »
    I currently work in retail and people like you are extremely annoying. Just get on with your life. Lodging complaints, never coming back to the shop. Do you really think they care? They make millions upon millions every year. One customer that decides to never go back to that shop is replaced by 10 new people that do.

Move on and stop wasting your time.

Couldnt agree more, i had to work in retail for four years to get me through college, your the type of person that turns the employees day from a good one into a ****e one! How many hours do you think that employee has been doing that for non stop for the entire day? And then someone comes along and moans that your working as you were trained. I never comment on things on boards but this brought back some nightmares of things i had to endure from people like you. Your goods that you paid for are not going to be damaged in any way by them being moved fast from one place to another. Have a thought for the person behind the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Its not salmonella you need to worry about.. Cryptosporidium...

Salmonella is the danger with chicken. Most carry it these days due to farming methods. Salmonella is nasty and can kill you. Cryptospyridium is a walk in the park by comparison and would largely be found in stagnant water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Op you sound like you had a bad day and this tipped you over.

But they shouldn't have suggested you going somewhere else,so from my observation there's no smoke without Fire.

There's nothing worse than having a bad day....

I hope your next shopping experience is more fun and less stress....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Couldnt agree more, i had to work in retail for four years to get me through college, your the type of person that turns the employees day from a good one into a ****e one! How many hours do you think that employee has been doing that for non stop for the entire day? And then someone comes along and moans that your working as you were trained. I never comment on things on boards but this brought back some nightmares of things i had to endure from people like you. Your goods that you paid for are not going to be damaged in any way by them being moved fast from one place to another. Have a thought for the person behind the counter

The public are animals. Self scan is the way forward. People in general just don't want to deal with each other. Too many simple fcuks out there who have no appreciation or consideration for other people and how their own actions affect those around them. The fact that the cashier basically told the op to fcuk off encourages me to shop there in the knowledge that speed is paramount and some pampered arsehole won't be tolerated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Turtle_ wrote: »
    In fairness I think the op isn't communicating what happened properly...

It sounds like they were still emptying stuff from the trolly onto the belt whilst the operator was going full pelt and stacking the items with absolutely no regard for whether they were being damaged. Because the op was still trying to put groceries on the belt, OP couldn't get the scanned goods back into the trolly.

Fast is fine until it becomes fast and ignorant of causing damage to goods that they will then expect you to pay for. Oh and I mean more squashed bread and bruised fruit than smashed jar.

I agree. I do a massive shop occasionally and the first few times I shopped at lidl or aldi, I didn't actually know it to be any different to any other supermarket experience I've had. Up to the till with my trolley jammers to the point of things falling off. The guy starts scanning and I'm looking at the mess stacking up behind him and im still only half way through putting my stuff on the belt. not quiet sure how to split myself between loading and clearing the scanned stuff I got a bit flustered.

I know better now, big shop is always Tesco and I'll occasionally go to lidl or aldi for the "few bits"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Op you were the rude one. You started off giving out to the staff person for doing their job.

They answered your questions with legitimate answers - they move that fast because that is part of their policy.

What answer did you expect when you talk about going to another shop?

If a client suggests to me they could go somewhere else I say "yes you could, that's your right". Am I supposed to beg and plead for a crappy customer who demands too much?

You are in the wrong. You were rude and took your bad mood out on a person. And there's obviously holes in your story (a few things, just bread, and yet a trolley???)

You should (but won't) apologise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I largely blame neoclassical theory for this kind of behaviour

I blame his parents for giving him a sense of entitlement:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭SteM

Love these threads where OP asks if they're over reacting, everyone tells them that they are and then they refuse to believe it. Classic boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

OP,
    The cashier is trained to scan very quickly so fewer cashiers are required, therefore lower payroll costs which means products cost less and that means more money in your pocket.
    They are also trained to adjust their speed if required, so they should have slowed down for you if asked.
    I think at this stage nearly everyone knows how fast staff are in Aldi.

Try be more considerate in future the staff are trying to do their job as best they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

That checkout person was right.the OP (clown) doesn't seem to have a clue what Aldi is like.i find them very nice.all it takes is 1 pr1ck of a person like u to ruin a persons day.u sound like a nightmare to live with.u come on here looking for us to feel sorry for u?get a grip will u and stay in dunnes

OP, i think you should take up a job behind a counter. Jobs like that are character building and are good for a person. You soon realize how not to be like the people you are serving. i.e rude, self entitled, demanding etc, the list goes on from the amount of arseholes ive had to deal with my retail career. How about try working unsocial hours in a completely unfulfilling job while getting paid pennies. I am always extremely nice to a person behind a counter as i know how ****e it can be at times which is always made worse by comments from people like you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its like going to McDonalds and complaining about no table service.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Turtle_ wrote: »
    In fairness I think the op isn't communicating what happened properly...

It sounds like they were still emptying stuff from the trolly onto the belt whilst the operator was going full pelt and stacking the items with absolutely no regard for whether they were being damaged. Because the op was still trying to put groceries on the belt, OP couldn't get the scanned goods back into the trolly.

Fast is fine until it becomes fast and ignorant of causing damage to goods that they will then expect you to pay for. Oh and I mean more squashed bread and bruised fruit than smashed jar.

I thought that in aldi/lidl, they cannot scan until the trolley is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

rolion wrote: »
    Hi All,

Had a bad day today and on my way home decided to get few things for dinner, mainly only the seeds bread.
    Waited in the queue nicely and patient for other people then, when my turn came, by the time I moved the trolley the staff began scanning the items and stacked them on top of each other on that small table beside the cash machine.

Me:
    Why do you scan so fast, why don't wait for me?
    Staff:
    Part of training, we have to be fast.
    Me:
    Then please stop topping them on top, slow down please.
    Staff:
    Sorry, training
    Me:
    If I were in Dunnes or Tesco, staff will have been waiting, smiling talking and even sometime helping me with the bag !
    Staff, smiling:
    Why are you here then, why don't you go to Tesco or Dunnes !!
    Me:
    Well, as feedback, tell your managers that I'm not happy with the way you are dealing with my paid food.
    Staff:
    Part of staff training.
    Me:
    That's not nice what you're saying !
    Staff:
    Then you can go to Dunnes!

Then, at the payment time:
    Staff:
    Cash or card!?
    Me, smillng ironic:
    Why do you want to know, what's the difference !?
    Staff:
    We need to know, part of the training !

I lost it at that moment, took the items and run home.

Now, i am planning to lodge a feedback form to ALDI main office in relation to my experience.
    Then, go back to shop, ask for Supervisor and for that particular staff member and request that if sending pissed-off customers to Dunnes or Tesco is part of the staff training or just staff personal opinion !!

I don't care about the staff "training" after my meeting as never ever myself or my family will walk in to that shop again !

What do you make of it, i'm I over reacting !?
    Any one in same experience !?

Thanks.
    The member of staff should have been polite. They sounded like they were being passive aggressive. I would have just refused to pay and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

noel100 wrote: »
    When I get a rude person at the till I'm very polite and friendly at the end of the transaction I say I pay in cash and reach into my pocket and pull out big handful of change and count it out slowly and then if I still owe money.pay the rest with a debit card...

...then you go out and load your car which is parked in one of the wheelchair slots...

• Advertisement

The member of staff should have been polite. They sounded like they were being passive aggressive. I would have just refused to pay and walked out.

You have clearly never worked behind a counter. You should try it out, it will make you a much nicer person

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement