Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI staff told me to go to Dunnes or Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

OP it must have been your first time going to Aldi.

I like how efficient they run at Lidl and Aldi. I'm not there to make friends just buy my shopping as fast as possible and go.

The only gripe I have is they should have more people working at the checkout. The one I go to in Limerick is meant to be one of the busiest in the country though.

I have no problems with the fruit and veg but I'd buy meat at the butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

You have clearly never worked behind a counter. You should try it out, it will make you a much nicer person

That staff member certainly didn't sound like a nice person. I have served people in the past. I always treated customers with respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The member of staff should have been polite. They sounded like they were being passive aggressive. I would have just refused to pay and walked out.

Ah look you only have a report of the conversation from the OP. The guy was doing his job. The OP obviously hasn't shopped there before and hasn't a clue of the business model employed and how they cut costs. You get what you pay for OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Hope the OP can now see that they are completely and utterly in the wrong here. A nightmare of a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - no uncivil language or personal attacks please. There's absolutely no need for that.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Regardless of the rights or wrongs some of the abuse here is way OTT. Mob rule

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

OP how could you have a problem with fast service ! I'd have a problem if the checkout person was going too slow. You said they stacked up the items you bought but didn't you do the same thing with them by putting them into a basket or a trolley. I'd love to know if the people ahead of you in the queue had the same complaint ? I think the problem was with YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

God I HATE having to go to Dunnes due to their rude inefficient staff! Love Aldi, staff in the two I frequent are always polite and friendly. You go to Dunnes where I live and the staff are so busy bitching about each oher and the mangers they completely ignore you.

Also, as others have said, if you're not treating the packing like an Olympic sport you're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - no uncivil language or personal attacks please. There's absolutely no need for that.

dudara

Awwww! I'm working retail counter this morning and was just building a good head of steam. Spoilsport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can kinda see what the OP is talking about, but it's mostly poor organisation and expectations on their part.

You know what you get (or you should!) with Aldi / Lidl.. Cheap products and minimal frills in terms of the store itself. Efficiency is the order of the day at checkout time so just load up the belt, pay, and get your stuff out of there as fast as possible.

But a bit of planning helps.. I for example load the belt in such a way that the heavy bulky stuff is scanned first, then things like jars and milk, then frozen items, and finally things like bread and crisps. That way all the fragile stuff isn't crushed at the far end.

But one thing that I will say is that anytime I've been in either of these stores, there are always long queues and unmanned tills which doesn't help the pressure on the staff at the tills that are open, or the customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you want a slow cashier go to Dunnes....they are mostly dinosaurs there.
    If you want quick efficient service go to AldI or Lidl

Personally I like to get out of there as quick as possible..sane with filling stations.....stop faffing about people and get out of my way....I like to have the car rolling off the four court before I have my door closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

have you never shopped in an aldi store before?
    if you have then you should know what to expect.

if you had a bad day, as you said, and ended up attempting to take it out on someone else, then shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I'm a fan of efficiency myself but the staff member was being rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bellissima

You seem to have met a smart***. I find the staff in Lidl and Aldi lovely. Very enthusiastic about the job. Haven't met a grouchy one yet. In fact they are so cheerful that you sometimes have to make an effort to respond in kind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

You should go to the 'States. Wallmart was made for you! Takes them an age to check out a few groceries at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭horse7

Sounds like good advise but I found SuperValu really good for a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

<SNIP> no need to quote entire OP

You OP are my nightmare.

I go to the supermarket to shop.

I dont like waiting around.

I tend to know what im looking for

and I want to be in and out asap.

I dont go to the supermarket for a social gathering.

I HATE being in the QUEUE while the teller and the customer is talking about her sisters, cousins, husbands, grannys, stepchild wo is in Australia looking for work.

You go to lidl, Get what you need, GET PREPARED to go to the Till.

Load the belt, Set up for bags in your trolly, and have your wallet out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Sounds like op had a bad day so decided to ruin someone's day in retaliation.

OP, Aldi cahiers scan quickly - they're supposed to aim for 1000 items per hour. They don't provide space for packing at the till because you're supposed to put it in a trolley and pack at the packing counters behind the tills.

You're wrong. If you want someone to work slowly and hold up everyone else while you painstakingly pack your shopping, go to Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

I work in retail . You are my nightmare customer . People want to get in get served and get out . If you want to have a chat do it on your own time . Somewhere else .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Me: Get a life you sound like a right consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Aldi and Lidl set up is different to what we are traditionally used to but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like the speed and efficiency of the staff even if that means I have to be on my toes. I understand and appreciate why they do it.

It's okay not to like it but the man or woman on the till is just doing their job. There's no need to give them a hard time over it. As for sending a complaint to head office, get a life, it's not worth that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

TheDriver wrote: »
    Its like going to McDonalds and complaining about no table service.....

I was wondering why I always left hungry;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

You're dead right OP!

Any establishment that doesn't greet me with a big smile and a brofive isnt worth my time.

At my shop, when we finish the 25 minute social conveyor chat time, i gingerly pack my items that my hard earned money allows me to buy.

Once the money goes into the till, 600 colourful balloons drop from the ceiling, my favourite songs is blared from the tannoy and all the staff get up frim their seats and applaud, salute and whistle, thanking me for keeping them in their job another day.

Then, 30 midgets come out of the back room and carry me and my bags to the car.

You're shopping in the wrong place OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

When I was living in London my local Aldi was frequented by a lot of people like the OP except more extreme. So much so that the store trained the security guard to watch the tills and if anyone tried to deliberately slow down the check-out process, he came over, scooped up their shopping, plonked it on the shelf by the window and told them to pay quickly then go pack out of the way and if they didn't like it they could leave. It was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I go to Aldi on purpose as I know they'll flake my items through the till and have me out the door in minutes. If there's a queue they'll open more lines, everything from the layout of the store to the checkout is designed to get me out of the store as fast as possible, I love it!!

I value my time and don't want to spend 10 mins behind Betty in super valu while she tells stories to the checkout person.

Aldi staff are measured on items scanned per minute every day, if they fall below average it's not a good thing career wise.

If you want a chat go to Supervalu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I work in retail . You are my nightmare customer . People want to get in get served and get out . If you want to have a chat do it on your own time . Somewhere else .

Where do you work. You are my kind of teller :)

When i go to Tesco or Dunnes I am garunteed this when I have 5-10 items

The person in front does the following.

Loads a weeks shopping on the belt.

Stikes up a convo with the teller.

Watches Everything get scanned in.

When Scanned is completed, Only then starts packing.

Will ONLY pay when packing is completed.

But no, They then have to go looking for there purse which seems to be in a Mary poppins bag.

I AM one of the 10 people standing behind you with the FFS face staring at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Da Regulator

Aldi and Lidl are like Ryanair.

If you want cheaper prices, you abide by their rules which increase efficiency. Personally I like the fact that they are so fast, I can't stand when I am stuck behind someone at Tesco or Dunnes have a good old chat when all it is doing is wasting mine and the company's time. Maybe there will come a time in my life when I would like a good chat and start going to Dunnes or Super Valu.

I know it seems cold and rude and is at odds with traditional supermarkets, unfortunately this is the system they operate and a complaint from you is not going to change anything, only waste your time and agitate you.

Take care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Do Tesco even have checkout staff anymore???

Unexpected item in bagging area.

Go <SNIP>

• Advertisement

This thread has reminded me of all the things I love about Aldi. No more tesco or Dunne's for me. Aldis getting all my business! Thanks OP!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement