Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Holidays abroad for poor families?

Options
  • 02-07-2016 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

OK , I might not be very popular with what I am gonna say next .... but stuffit :)

You know the weather is sh!te at the moment, and on the whole apart from one year where there was quite a good summer years ago, i think this summer is going to be a washout in Ireland again.

So, posh people and people with a lot of money and good jobs and people that have saved up more than likely are gonna take themselves and their families on a week or 2 somewhere nice and hot abroad in the school holidays just to make up for the monotony of rainy drizzly summer days , just to break up the monotony so at least when the kids go back to school they and the parents can at least say they had a week or 2 of good weather in the school holidays.

Now, what about families that cannot afford a holiday somewhere hot abroad this summer - what if I were to say (and its most probably a barmy idea) but how about a one off payment in the summertime from the dole or social welfare (and means tested) whereby the parents can go to the social and say they want to take their children on holiday this summer for a week but cannot afford it cause the parents are out of work. (maybe use the money what the social welfare give them at christmas time/christmas bonus)

Is it too much of a barmey Idea? - why should the children (poor/deprived) loose out on having a summer holiday, a week away at least, because their parents are un-employed and cannot afford to take the kids on holiday?

Would the tax payer begrudge this .... would they begrudge this idea more than the unemployed getting a christmas bonus at christmas time?

over to you :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Great idea. But just for the scumbags who will never work and bleed the system.
    One way ticket to The Costa De Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Yes i would begrudge this. Nobody needs a holiday. It is a luxury and a luxury that many working people can't even afford. No way would i support the tax payer paying for holidays.

I wasn't abroad until i was 18 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You may encounter some cynicism.
    Remain calm and steadfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My father will be 90 years old in a number of weeks, he never had a foreign holiday and it did him no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A dole thread on AH well I never.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Someone please murder me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Who do you work for, Sinn Fein or AAA/PBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

*gets popcorn*

I can see where this will go already. Years ago i started a thread in social welfare asking about missing payment collections because i was going on a three week holiday. I got crucified, how dare an unemployed person take a holiday!

Stuff people didnt know about my situation.... i was only getting €40 a week from welfare, i had some savings from when i worked during my college summer holidays, it was a family holiday and i was staying with family abroad, all i was paying for was my flights. If the good people of boards didnt agree with me taking that holiday then they sure as hell wont agree with your suggestion. For the record I dont agree with it, if i couldn't afford my holiday i would not have gone,. I had it paid for before i started claiming my €40 welfare.

I never had a holiday abroad until I was 23 & I could pay for it myself.

That's life

Noo wrote: »
    *gets popcorn*

I can see where this will go already. Years ago i started a thread in social welfare asking about missing payment collections because i was going on a three week holiday. I got crucified, how dare an unemployed person take a holiday!

Stuff people didnt know about my situation.... i was only getting €40 a week from welfare, i had some savings from when i worked during my college summer holidays, it was a family holiday and i was staying with family abroad, all i was paying for was my flights. If the good people of boards didnt agree with me taking that holiday then they sure as hell wont agree with your suggestion.

Big difference, you weren't actually looking for a free overseas holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

keith16 wrote: »

Then I can have a holiday in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Make the means test based on take home pay which includes income from welfare and I'm all for it.
    You will then find its the actual low paid workers or single income families that will qualify for holiday grant.
    As it stands, social welfare income appears to not count as income in many instances whereas before tax income seems to be what is counted for workers.
    And don't even get me started on the self employed and how poorly we are treated. At least I might get a paid holiday under your scheme.

OK , I might not be very popular with what I am gonna say next .... but stuffit :)

You know the weather is sh!te at the moment, and on the whole apart from one year where there was quite a good summer years ago, i think this summer is going to be a washout in Ireland again.

So, posh people and people with a lot of money and good jobs and people that have saved up more than likely are gonna take themselves and their families on a week or 2 somewhere nice and hot abroad in the school holidays just to make up for the monotony of rainy drizzly summer days , just to break up the monotony so at least when the kids go back to school they and the parents can at least say they had a week or 2 of good weather in the school holidays.

Now, what about families that cannot afford a holiday somewhere hot abroad this summer - what if I were to say (and its most probably a barmy idea) but how about a one off payment in the summertime from the dole or social welfare (and means tested) whereby the parents can go to the social and say they want to take their children on holiday this summer for a week but cannot afford it cause the parents are out of work. (maybe use the money what the social welfare give them at christmas time/christmas bonus)

Is it too much of a barmey Idea? - why should the children (poor/deprived) loose out on having a summer holiday, a week away at least, because their parents are un-employed and cannot afford to take the kids on holiday?

Would the tax payer begrudge this .... would they begrudge this idea more than the unemployed getting a christmas bonus at christmas time?

St Vincent de Paul do actually supply holidays in this country for deserving families.
    They don't need to go overseas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

If you cant vacation around europe in 2016 for even a weekend then you must be a lazy bum. 40 quid return to paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

They don't work, their whole lives are a fukking holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

bubblypop wrote: »
    Big difference, you weren't actually looking for a free overseas holiday

My point exactly! If people were against me taking a holiday, then the freebie holoday suggestion will be torn to shreads. As it should be.

Lets throw in some spa treatments also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Going abroad on holidays is not a human right. The majority of the older people on Boards didn't grow up with annual holidays abroad, or necessarily holidays in Ireland either. If you had an auntie or a granny that lived in another part of the country, you might have gone there for a while during the summer, at best.

I holiday when I can afford it. If for some reason I can't afford it some years, I don't go. I've been very fortunate that I have been able to take a foreign holiday over the last few years, but if I had a sudden major expense, that would take precedence.

I could be persuaded that social welfare might contribute to educational school trips that those kids would otherwise miss out on, but I don't see a week in the sun as a necessity.

There used be somewhere called Clara Laragh where underprivileged kids would go for a summer camp for a week. A quick google shows that it doesn't seem to be that kind of place any more, but you may find there are alternatives around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Send them all to Sligo, they can stay at your gaff Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

myshirt wrote: »

Send them to Sligo? Have you not got a humane bone in your body you animal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

myshirt wrote: »

They wont get a holiday if they stayed at my gaff - id get them doing bits and pieces and by the time they have spent with me they *will* need a holiday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Holiday = a rest from something.

Most likely work.

Why should unemployed people get a holiday from something they haven't been doing:confused:

Next up.

Working folk should be made unemployed for a week with no pay.

Andy, your whole thread is flawed mate.

Mec27 wrote: »
    If you cant vacation around europe in 2016 for even a weekend then you must be a lazy bum. 40 quid return to paris.

yep thats flight sorted, what about accommodation, spending money, travel insurance , €4 for a cup of coffee or ice cream, entrance fees to get into attractions ...

yep thats flight sorted, what about accommodation, spending money, travel insurance , €4 for a cup of coffee or ice cream, entrance fees to get into attractions ...

Well you could sort that out by giving them all credit cards with say a limit of 1000 euro so they don't get too carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Poor mans Kilkee in Limerick city. Popular spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

CFlat wrote: »
    Well you could sort that out by giving them all credit cards with say a limit of 1000 euro so they don't get too carried away.

Paid by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I have heard many practising psychiatrist's (one a Consultant in Dublin) say that if it were possible the first thing they would prescribe for many mental health issues is a holiday. They say that one of the key differences in the occurrence and the prognosis of people with mental health issues is related to income, where people with less income can't afford holidays, while people with more can and do take holidays.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Paid by who?

The World Health Organisation? I doubt if they'd pony up for it but I suppose we could ask them.

you imagine the moral boosting for the kids let alone the parents to give them just 1 weeks holiday out of the whole year, you cant pay for that kind of happiness :D

and if it were a problem family with 10 year ol kids joyriding around estates it will give people on the estates a weeks holiday from the problem family - its win win for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

keith16 wrote: »

Pm me for location and we can pact.

Advertisement