Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Holidays abroad for poor families?

Options

Comments

you imagine the moral boosting for the kids let alone the parents to give them just 1 weeks holiday out of the whole year, you cant pay for that kind of happiness :D

and if it were a problem family with 10 year ol kids joyriding around estates it will give people on the estates a weeks holiday from the problem family - its win win for everyone!

Like said already, svdp give holidays in Ireland to deserving families .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

bubblypop wrote: »

Aye, and there's a fair few charities taking sick kids and their families who can't afford holidays to places like Euro Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

holidays in Ireland!!!!! - feck off with all that ! that aint abroad with sun and heat and change of scenery and language etc is it? :D

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Aye, and there's a fair few charities taking sick kids and their families who can't afford holidays to places like Euro Disney.

why should sick kids only experience the fun - that's discrimination that is... :)

why should sick kids only experience the fun - that's discrimination that is... :)

I don't think charities are discriminating by focusing their efforts on one particular situation in need of attention. If they looked at everything they'd never get anything done.

I would be in favour of some type of holiday grant, or holiday allowance for people who don't have the income for it (whether they work or not,) if it was feasible economically and politically. I don't think it is feasible though.

People are working on it but there's a battle playing out, essentially between believers in the United Federation of Planets and believers in the Ferengi Alliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

maybe for the working poor who are busting their balls with no dole or rent allowance and can't afford a holiday

not a hope for anyone getting dole or rent allowance or who has a medical card

maybe for the working poor who are busting their balls with no dole or rent allowance and can't afford a holiday

not a hope for anyone getting dole or rent allowance or who has a medical card

discriminating again ...

"sorry kids you cannot have a holiday abroad because your mam and da are getting dole and rent allowance"

kids (especially little ones) cannot understand how Tommy can have a week or 2 in Ibiza in the school holidays and they had to put up with a couple of days in Tralee ...

discriminating again ...

"sorry kids you cannot have a holiday abroad because your mam and da are getting dole and rent allowance"

kids (especially little ones) cannot understand how Tommy can have a week or 2 in Ibiza in the school holidays and they had to put up with a couple of days in Tralee ...

Well maybe those kids should be told ' we don't have any money, therefore we can't go on holidays '

Seems simple enough to me.
    That's what I heard when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

over to you :D

trolling is a art

Well maybe those kids should be told ' we don't have any money, therefore we can't go on holidays '

Seems simple enough to me.
    That's what I heard when I was young.

like they are old enough to understand the economics and finances of that.

just because we grew up years ago with financial hardships it dont mean it has to be forced on our children these days - theres loads of things I didnt get as a kid but it doesnt mean I have restricted my own childrens lives because of that, where I can help it. - and it hasnt made them spoilt or know any less about momentary values and the cost of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

just because we grew up years ago with financial hardships it dont mean it has to be forced on our children these days - theres loads of things I didnt get as a kid but it doesnt mean I have restricted my own childrens lives because of that, where I can help it. - and it hasnt made them spoilt or know any less about momentary values and the cost of stuff

Please go to bed Andy and let's forget this thread ever happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Would the tax payer begrudge this .... would they begrudge this idea more than the unemployed getting a christmas bonus at christmas time?

Simple get a job, save up and go on holiday like any one else. Shocking I know but not exactly novel.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Simple get a job, save up and go on holiday like any one else. Shocking I know but not exactly novel.

No, it's in no way novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

discriminating again ...

"sorry kids you cannot have a holiday abroad because your mam and da are working and paying taxes so people can get dole and rent allowance"

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Only first class, all expenses paid, spending money, etc. Andy From Sligo for Teashock!

Please go to bed Andy and let's forget this thread ever happened.

couldnt sleep because of this mad idea i had....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

nhunter100 wrote: »

If only it were that easy though

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

I know parents of severely disabled kids who could seriously do with a break. Scumbags eh ?
    Will you reactionary muppets ever get a grip?

teddyhead wrote: »
    I know parents of severely disabled kids who could seriously do with a break. Scumbags eh ?
    Will you reactionary muppets ever get a grip?

This is not about respite for those who have profoundly disabled children at all.

The OP never mentioned that issue.

It was...free hols for the poor. I wouldn't say an appalling idea, but the simple fact is that it'd lead to people working away unable to go on holidays looking at this person or that jetting off to the sun and feeling aggrieved, or headlines of the "family of 8 receiving €750 pw and free house enjoy €5k holiday". It would completely discredit the system of social protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

It would be nice in theory, but there is a higher percentage of people on the dole with problematic behavior adding alcohol and council estate kids to the equation in your average working class Spanish resort, will cause problems.

The best way would be to have a free class holiday for everyone where you reward children for their work and good behavior in class instead of rewarding parents for their life choices.

• Advertisement

Yep, and the way to teach them the value of money etc is to hand out free holidays paid for by the state!
    Honestly you crack me up.
    I just never know if you actually believe the crap you start on threads, or if it's all for a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

Yep, and the way to teach them the value of money etc is to hand out free holidays paid for by the state!
    Honestly you crack me up.
    I just never know if you actually believe the crap you start on threads, or if it's all for a laugh!

I think you can safely assume that Andy is just having a laugh, that's certainly how I took it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This isn't a bad idea. We can send riff-raff families off to the Costa's for 2 weeks and then the rest of us can live in bliss for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Holiday = a rest from something. Most likely work.

That's not true at all. Holidays are a break away from the routine and seeing and doing new things. ALL your time is your own and you can do whatever you want.

How often do you hear people say they need a holiday (rest) after their holiday? That's because they were doing interesting things with heir free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Mec27 wrote: »
    If you cant vacation around europe in 2016 for even a weekend then you must be a lazy bum. 40 quid return to paris.

Do you live next door to an airport and is there any particular four star park benches in Paris that you can recommend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

I am disgusted with this nonsense idea. What a self entitled, lazy, jack arse you are. Go get a job teach your kids some morals and self respect.

Your actually on a permanent holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

littelady wrote: »
    I am disgusted with this nonsense idea. What a self entitled, lazy, jack arse you are. Go get a job teach your kids some morals and self respect.

I did try a three star park bench onetime but couldnt suffer the riff raff ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Ah yes, teach them that they can go on foreign holidays despite the fact that they have little or no money. A much better message.

No wonder people are so ****e at personal finance in this country.

• Advertisement

What about the self employed, no maternity leave,no social if there job goes in the morning they could loose the house they worked hard for and you want a holiday...why cant you work or save ???

Advertisement