Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Holidays abroad for poor families?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

This thread is up there with the facebook feeds of the local unemployed wasters whose only ambition in life is too reach 25 to get the"full dole"on a Friday afternoon proclaiming "yay it's the weekend at last".
    Like in all honesty it's not like you had to get up any other day to do something.
    Although I expect the young single mothers probably did have to get up to bring their "little angles" to school a couple of mornings anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think it should be up to people to put some of their own money aside if needed for holiday, just like everybody else has to do

Not completely against seeing it might be some benefit for people who can't genuinely afford break, if there was some sort of grant or payment then it would make sense to keep the money in Ireland, with Irish holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Except from being in Wales and England a few times, I was never abroad til I was 24. Why should they get a holiday? Most of them are on a full time holiday anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

If your on the dole and abroad how would you be available for any job interviews assuming you are indeed looking for work ?

littelady wrote: »
    If your on the dole and abroad how would you be available for any job interviews assuming you are indeed looking for work ?

People on the dole are entitled to go away on holidays.
    Can't remember if a week or two , they just need to inform the dole office

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

bubblypop wrote: »
    People on the dole are entitled to go away on holidays.
    Can't remember if a week or two , they just need to inform the dole office

What exactly are they taking a holiday from in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They don't work, their whole lives are a fukking holiday.

in fairness

2 weeks in a ****ty apartment in spain for 2 adult/2kids is about 3grand in july/aug
    throw in reasonable spending and you are over 4k
    many working families don't have 4 k plus to spend every year on a holiday

but that said I think the OP is talking nonsense too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

F**k poor families

What about poor single people ?
    lawlolawl wrote: »
    What exactly are they taking a holiday from in this case?

The judge and jury of internet forums and social media ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I hear great things about living on 188 a week

The food the style the stress free living

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Producers on liveline only praying this would happen. It would keep them going for a good fortnight

• Advertisement

I think the OP needs a break from the night worries of how to pay my mortgage, how will I pay should my kid get sick, how do I pay for getting the kids back to school ....oh no those thoughts do not apply tax payers are funding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did we not have those two weeks a month ago when there was constant sunshine?

Stasi 2.0 wrote:
    What about poor single people ?

Exactly help people who are working maybe get there foot on the property ladder.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

OK , I might not be very popular with what I am gonna say next .... but stuffit :)

You know the weather is sh!te at the moment, and on the whole apart from one year where there was quite a good summer years ago, i think this summer is going to be a washout in Ireland again.

So, posh people and people with a lot of money and good jobs and people that have saved up more than likely are gonna take themselves and their families on a week or 2 somewhere nice and hot abroad in the school holidays just to make up for the monotony of rainy drizzly summer days , just to break up the monotony so at least when the kids go back to school they and the parents can at least say they had a week or 2 of good weather in the school holidays.

Now, what about families that cannot afford a holiday somewhere hot abroad this summer - what if I were to say (and its most probably a barmy idea) but how about a one off payment in the summertime from the dole or social welfare (and means tested) whereby the parents can go to the social and say they want to take their children on holiday this summer for a week but cannot afford it cause the parents are out of work. (maybe use the money what the social welfare give them at christmas time/christmas bonus)

Is it too much of a barmey Idea? - why should the children (poor/deprived) loose out on having a summer holiday, a week away at least, because their parents are un-employed and cannot afford to take the kids on holiday?

Would the tax payer begrudge this .... would they begrudge this idea more than the unemployed getting a christmas bonus at christmas time?

over to you :D
    They're already on holiday, funded by tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Would someone explain where there are "free" holidays available. Do all holidays not have to be paid for?

littelady wrote: »
    Exactly help people who are working maybe get there foot on the property ladder.

Apart from your use of that detestable expression you do realise that such endevours are completely fruitless as long as we have a planning system that maintains artificial shortage in the housing supply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I love the "dole is a free holiday" claims. It's also a great incubator for physical and mental health problems, prejudice (as evidenced by this thread,) even being unemployed means you're less likely to be employed by someone no matter your qualifications, and it's a ticket to an early death.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I, like most working folk need to book holidays in advance.
    So then its the luck of the draw whether it happens to fall in one of the minimum of twoo lovely weeks we definitely get a year in Ireland.
    I cant take this chance so i go where the weather is guaranteed.

When I was on the dole I had every week off, so i was guaranteed at least two weeks of lovely weather in Ireland.
    I didnt need a holiday at all. I was already on holiday when the nice weather came.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hang on a feckin second, I know many many people on the dole/social welfare who have regular sun holidays each year which I can't. They also can afford newer cars, again which I can't. They get everything, they pay for nothing. If they want a holiday let them pay for it themselves however I'd be if the opinion that they can afford to save for a sun holiday then they're being given too much and their payments/dole should be reduced.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I love the "dole is a free holiday" claims. It's also a great incubator for physical and mental health problems, prejudice (as evidenced by this thread,) even being unemployed means you're less likely to be employed by someone no matter your qualifications, and it's a ticket to an early death.

Yeah but what about those flat screen tv's they all have Joe and if theyre not flat theyre wide. The Screens Joe the screens. Theyre really wide and flat.

• Advertisement

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah but what about those flat screen tv's they all have Joe and if theyre not flat theyre wide. The Screens Joe the screens. Theyre really wide and flat.

Not only that! They also have phones that have a camera in them!

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    When I was on the dole

Im so glad you managed to get a job and come off the dole so that the internet doesnt require me to hate you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Been working full time for years with USC/Tax ,still cant afford a holiday for the family,its not not just people on social who cant afford holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Im so glad you managed to get a job and come off the dole so that the internet doesnt require me to hate you anymore.

Dont be a hater. Be a worker.
    And if you fall on hard times, dont be afraid of drawing the dole that you paid for in your PRSI. But a holiday ABROAD thrown in?

I can see it now. Working people who cant afford foreign holidays, quitting their job and going on the dole so they can get a free foreign holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

No I wouldn't agree with the idea. Going on a holiday is something medium to longterm that is generally something that is saved for. Social Welfare isn't something to be aimed for to stay on it medium to longterm! It's really only supposed to be short-term.

But also there is a kind-of a non-reassurance / losing faith aspect to it. It would only give what has by default (in-voluntarily / we genuinely didn't choose it,) become the whole "Social Welfare Culture," another reason to be b1tched about and given a bad name!

I do agree a Christmas Bonus is a lovely gesture though!

No I wouldn't agree with the idea. Going on a holiday is something medium to longterm that is generally something that is saved for. Social Welfare isn't something to be aimed for to stay on it medium to longterm! It's really only supposed to be short-term.

What about people on Disability Allowance? They're long term, as is the basis of its definition. People who suffer from an illness that will result in long term inability to find a suitable job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Funny the ones I see who afford to go on holidays are the all their life welfareites. People who work dont gave the disposable income paying mortgages childcare health insurances life insurances etc they are the ones who can't afford the luxury of a holiday as they have so many responsible peoples bills to pay which others with means from the government don't have to pay and never will. Being a lifetime waster is already too handsomely rewarded in this country without incentivising it further and sending bands of howreyas to spend a week drinking in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What about people on Disability Allowance? They're long term, as is the basis of its definition. People who suffer from an illness that will result in long term inability to find a suitable job.

I suspect most people on Disability Allowance would prefer the money to be spent on things like treatment centres closer to home, carers, assisted living grants, counselling services, decent mobility aids, or a public transport system that doesn't require them to get expensive taxis around the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Great idea OP.

Descent kids going on holidays,hanging around the pool and some other kids or teenagers shouting over

Other kind:
    whattttr uwwwe stheaaarwring at ¿

Did you laff ad mi bhroder,ya you...

Descent kid : No

Otger kind: orr youw kallin me a liier ?

Descent kid: "holiday ruined due to being a target for the other kind...

Kids will be kids teenagers will be teenager's....

I seen and heard this carry-on on a few sun holidays,kids and teenagers being strident to others within ear shot of their own parents...

I wouldn't let my kids behave like that.

I experienced it myself years ago at a seaside resort on the east coast I was around 14,I'm now 41

Being from Clare my accent stood out,got hassle from a few city scumbags wearing SPX runner's and xworks jeans....

Anyhow they weren't aware that I was streetwise too and able to use gravity to my advantage....

The last evening I lased up my ox blood docmartens,put on my The Cure T-shirt and behaved like a teenager,wasn't proud of it but got my power back...

Always go for the mouthy one,the rest scattered lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

Im currently on the dole - a month now - dp is self employed and now is his quietest time we haven't been on a foreign holiday since before our child started school - she will be going into fifth class this year and all extra money has to go to that! For holidays at home, even when I was in full time employment have been split with my sister ie we rent a house together to lower costs - and even at that dp only comes for a day or two!
    An extra dole payment towards holidays just sounds so entitled!

Advertisement