Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Holidays abroad for poor families?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

222233 wrote: »
    It's made incredibly difficult for people who are genuinely out of work to do jobs here and there also e.g when a contracting job for 3 days pops up and they have to go through the whole process of signing off and on etc.

Can they not sign on as part time workers and claim dole in respect of the days theyve no work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Can they not sign on as part time workers and claim dole in respect of the days theyve no work ?

I assume so? I'm not familiar with it just aware from hearing about it, think it makes for a bit of an administrative nightmare travelling to and fro the office, that may have changed now.

Would make sense to allow them clock in their hours online, they aren't the type who should have to present every month and queue seeing as their worked hours would be traceable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Can we choose the location of the holidays for each candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

RobertKK wrote: »
    My father will be 90 years old in a number of weeks, he never had a foreign holiday and it did him no harm.

If he'd had a foreign holiday every year he'd be 100 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

endacl wrote:

No I think he would be still 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Guaranteed 2 weeks in mosney for everyone on the scratcher, there would be nobody unemployed within 2 years..

Instead of the holidays we could alternatively send them to work for a week every year.

222233 wrote:
    I just had a look on indeed "9,757 new jobs in the last 7 days"

Totally agree. Why not post on boards man from sligo seeking a job !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HiJacques

222233 wrote: »
    Instead of the holidays we could alternatively send them to work for a week every year.

Compulsory work-experience?

Over Halloween would be good. 12 hour shifts.

HiJacques wrote: »
    Compulsory work-experience?

Over Halloween would be good. 12 hour shifts.

Why not! Most of the people on welfare are very capable of working and if "experience" is the problem in finding jobs then there is no excuse. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

No,definitely not.

They will make a show of us drinking non stop in costa del whatever and those of us who have paid for our holidays wont be able to show our sun burned faces in public.

There is no such thing as not be able to afford a holiday,you can buy a tent and go to Tramore or Courtown.I never set foot on a plane until I was working myself and I never expected anyone to do anything about this for me.

If the poor want a sun holiday they can stop drinking and smoking and budget like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

littelady wrote: »

Whoooooosh..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I agree with it being a luxury. I work full time and just scraping by. We brought the kids camping and they loved it. Would love to go abroad but just can't afford it. Maybe next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

Me and my partner work full time on and earning decent money,but we can't afford to go on holiday this summer with our kids
    I wouldn't be happy for my tax to be spent on holiday for someone who does nothing to contribute..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Hang on a feckin second, I know many many people on the dole/social welfare who have regular sun holidays each year which I can't. They also can afford newer cars, again which I can't. They get everything, they pay for nothing. If they want a holiday let them pay for it themselves however I'd be if the opinion that they can afford to save for a sun holiday then they're being given too much and their payments/dole should be reduced.

yup dont forget the free gaff too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

mada999 wrote: »

And they get their free holiday, leave the childers buggy in Lanzarote before they fly home, and get a new one from the social when they arrive back to their free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gleNine

Would the tax payer begrudge this .... would they begrudge this idea more than the unemployed getting a christmas bonus at christmas time?

over to you :D

I wouldn't on two conditions:
    • It wasn't a sun holiday but rather a holiday that had at least some educational / cultural benefits in a different country. I see this as an important part of development for kids especially.
    • We could ensure that it wouldn't be abused.

The main issue here is that people are only human... this system would be abused and it would be hard to enforce appropriate policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

mada999 wrote: »

Is everyone invited ? Ill bring some cans........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I agree with it being a luxury. I work full time and just scraping by. We brought the kids camping and they loved it. Would love to go abroad but just can't afford it. Maybe next year :)

This is true. Camping in the beautiful kerry countryside was as fun a holiday as any Ive been on, resorts in France or city trips to European capitals. Just didnt compare for me, but I love rain,the outdoors and Irish culture so maybe thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Is everyone invited ? Ill bring some cans........

are you mad ?? they only drink in pubs a few nights a week... cant be drinkin at home as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

As a tax payer for 24 years and now unemployed due to injury, no , just no.
    I can't afford to bring my 5 kids on holiday but I can bring them to the playground for free, we can watch movies and I can bring them to the Kids club cinema for E3 each.
    Kids don't need holidays. Free day trips work just as well. As do a few days staying with family at other sides of the country.

As I said, I worked Damn hard for 24 years, circumstance has left me unemployed, I guess I'm claiming back all the tax in benefit. And I currently work a 15 hour day with sketchy breaks 

Can we have an insight of the man behind the concept ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What about people on Disability Allowance? They're long term, as is the basis of its definition. People who suffer from an illness that will result in long term inability to find a suitable job.

See this is part of the problem! Why are you associating Disability Allowance with Social Welfare?!? You're tarnishing the genuine few by lumping everyone and everything in all together causing only further confusion!! If not fit for work ya wouldn't be on a Jobseeker's Payment. Being on disability is another kettle of fish altogether. It would be a different question to be answered in a different way in my view. I do see what you're saying but I wouldn't lump it in with a general "The Dole" or "Da Social" Payment. Disability isn't Jobseeker's. I wasn't really including Disability in my answer anyway.

If ya want to get in to Disability issues oh I'm well aware there's a whole load of other areas that would need to be looked at. What about Carers and respite and rehabilitation stuff, there's loads of other areas that might benefit from a nice holiday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

See this is part of the problem! Why are you associating Disability Allowance with Social Welfare?!? You're tarnishing the genuine few by lumping everyone and everything in all together causing only further confusion!! If not fit for work ya wouldn't be on a Jobseeker's Payment. Being on disability is another kettle of fish altogether. It would be a different question to be answered in a different way in my view. I do see what you're saying but I wouldn't lump it in with a general "The Dole" or "Da Social" Payment. Disability isn't Jobseeker's. I wasn't really including Disability in my answer anyway.

If ya want to get in to Disability issues oh I'm well aware there's a whole load of other areas that would need to be looked at. What about Carers and respite and rehabilitation stuff, there's loads of other areas that might benefit from a nice holiday!!

I agree fully. But Disability Allowance is a form of social welfare and a lot of people dump the dole and DA together. I was hoping by bringing it up people would see the problems in treating all those not working the same.

And respite care is again another area which definitely should be looked about. As there are carers issues, and even more importantly kids and teenagers who are forced into a carers role.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.familyholidayassociation.org.uk/

The above is a charity that provides holiday for family's in need

http://www.campmates.co.uk/.

low cost Holidays for lone parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If John gives Paul €10,000 to buy a new car with no expectation that Paul will pay the money back, Paul would be understood to have received a free car.

Similarly, if someone who has never worked is in receipt of state benefits and uses some of that free money to pay a heavily subsidised below market rate rent - they would be understood to have free accomdation.

If John gives Paul €10,000 to buy a new car with no expectation that Paul will pay the money back, Paul would be understood to have received a free car.

Similarly, if someone who has never worked is in receipt of state benefits and uses some of that free money to pay a heavily subsidised below market rate rent - they would be understood to have free accomdation.

They would be understood to have subsidised public housing not free accommodation. Subsidised does not equal free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

endacl wrote: »
    littelady wrote: »

He'd just feel like he was 100 from waiting around in airports with all that foreign travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

They're paying for it with money that's given to them for free, so it's not their money they're using to pay their ridiculously low rent - Ergo free.

• Advertisement

They're paying for it with money that's given to them for free, so it's not their money they're using to pay their ridiculously low rent - Ergo free.

Not everybody in public housing is unemployed the majority would be working and second of all where does the idea that only the unemployed apply for public housing come from.

Advertisement