Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carmageddon: Max Damage out on PS4/Xbox One July 8th

Options
  • 02-07-2016 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

http://www.carmageddonmaxdamage.com/

If it wasn't a friend telling me about this I wouldnt have known it existed, very little hype or talk about it online compared to Reincarnation.

Speaking of Reincarnation, all the kickstarters who backed it will be getting a free copy of Max Damage, which is a nice gesture as the backers may have felt like they were f*cked over for supporting a "beta".

I have to say it looks far more polished than Reincarnation and looks almost like a remaster of the original, hopefully the gameplay lives up to it.

While searching for a mention of this game I came across a boards user of the same name who tragically died at the age of 24 back in 2011, who had a passion for vintage cars and made some mods for Carmageddon 2.

R.I.P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Heres a gameplay preview with commentary from the developers:

It will be €40 on psn, it was £25 to pre order on amazon and and £30 from Game.
    I'll probably pick this up when it goes cheap tbh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Gratuitous, immature nonsense. I'd no interest in it twenty years ago, even less now.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Gratuitous, immature nonsense. I'd no interest in it twenty years ago, even less now.

I had a lot of fun playing it personally. I think it was the first open world / sandbox racing game I played.

Doge wrote: »
    I had a lot of fun playing it personally. I think it was the first open world / sandbox racing game I played.

Ah yeah, credit where it's due and all that.

It's just the nature of the content that turns me off, and I'm not conservative when it comes to games, or indeed any other media.

But I mean running over a nun in a quite deliberate attempt to be outrageous. It's just puerile and a little bit sad.

Stuff like that makes me embarrassed to tell people I'm into gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Stuff like that makes me embarrassed to tell people I'm into gaming.

Because every other medium doesn't have anything even close to this kind of content? Oh please. Also feeling embarrassment over this game or any is your own problem. There's rape games out there. Do you feel guilty about that? I sure don't.

As for running over a nun. Pretty sure Crazy Taxi had stuff like that all over the place. It's just a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

Because every other medium doesn't have anything even close to this kind of content? Oh please.

Of course, every medium has similar content. Where have I said otherwise?
    Also feeling embarrassment over this game or any is your own problem.

Yes, it is. I mean how could my reservations about a game be someone else's problem?
    There's rape games out there. Do you feel guilty about that? I sure don't..

I never said I felt guilty about anything. What are you talking about?
    As for running over a nun. Pretty sure Crazy Taxi had stuff like that all over the place. It's just a bit of fun.

Perhaps it did. I never played it, and, if it's anything like Carmageddon, I never will.

You sound like one of those people that needs to read "In my opinion..." at the beginning of a post so you understand that people aren't speaking on your behalf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pretty sure Crazy Taxi had stuff like that all over the place.

Not sure if this line is in jest or not, but it is not even remotely true.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Needs an Iron Maiden soundtrack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Needs an Iron Maiden soundtrack.

Correction. Needs a Crazy Taxi soundtrack. Or more specifically: this song repeated for hours and hours on end.

You're right about the music, half the appeal of the original Carmageddon was Fear Factory's instrumentals. I cant stand screaming in metal so it was a good call they went for the instrumentals, was the perfect soundtrack for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so don't play it, simple as.

I, on the other hand, LOVE carmageddon. so much better than just another racing game

so don't play it, simple as.

This is quite possibly the laziest reply doing the rounds at the moment.

Well done on making no effort.

Of course, every medium has similar content. Where have I said otherwise?

Oh so you feel embarrassed to say you like music, drawings, movies etc?
    I never said I felt guilty about anything. What are you talking about?

You said embarrassed about immature games so it stands to reason you'd feel guilt, shame or whatever other emotion regarding other kinds of content - and in my example I mentioned rape lyrics in music which would most likely cause feelings of guilt or shame if you were as equally a square about revealing your enjoyment of that medium to your peers, despite possibly not even enjoying that kind of content within it.
    Not sure if this line is in jest or not, but it is not even remotely true.

I was thinking more of the simpsons road rage which as far as I can remember is a crazy taxi clone and you can knock over every character you see and they will go flying. Sure it does it in a very cartooney way but back then to me it was no different than knocking people down in GTA; fun.

Oh so you feel embarrassed to say you like music, drawings, movies etc?

I'm into dance music, but when people here that they think I'm into the derivative and soulless rubbish they hear pumping out of car stereos.

I'm into comics, but when people here that they think I'm at home in my Spiderman pyjamas, sat in my darkened bedroom with a flashlight and a duvet pulled over my head.

I'm into games, but when people here that they think I spend my time playing mindless nonsense like Carmageddon and Call of Duty.

Perhaps I need to grow a thicker skin, but either way, people's ignorance about the breath and depth of various media often leads to embarrassing situations where I'm trying to explain or justify what I'm into, particularly in relation to comics which people cannot seem to accept as a credible medium.

So are there games, comics and types of music that I find embarrassing? Absolutely. I'm embarrassed that my interests even marginally crossover with that rubbish.

That's where I'm coming from. Agree, or disagree, but please read and understand what I'm saying because you seem to be going out of your way to get the wrong end of the stick.

You said embarrassed about immature games so it stands to reason you'd feel guilt, shame or whatever other emotion regarding other kinds of content - and in my example I mentioned rape lyrics in music which would most likely cause feelings of guilt or shame if you were as equally a square about revealing your enjoyment of that medium to your peers, despite possibly not even enjoying that kind of content within it.

So if I find the content of a game embarrassing in the context of how poorly it represents the medium, that therefore means I also experience shame and guilt in relation to that, or other such content?

I'm not even gonna pretend to understand your line of reasoning on that one. It makes no sense whatsoever and I can't believe I'm actually responding to it at this hour of the morning.

Goodnight.

So are there games, comics and types of music that I find embarrassing? Absolutely. I'm embarrassed that my interests even marginally crossover with that rubbish.

And yet I doubt I'd hear you say you're embarrassed/whatever to say you're into other mediums besides video games because either you or your peers have a bias towards it that you recognize.

Here's a tip. Stop giving a feck what people think of any medium you like. You can even like the game in this topic's title. Don't feel any embarrassment for such things. Have pride in this hobby.
    or go be a games journalist

And yet I doubt I'd hear you say you're embarrassed/whatever to say you're into other mediums besides video games because either you or your peers have a bias towards it that you recognise

I started a thread in the comics book section recently. I don't think I used the word 'embarrassing' but implicit in my question was my desire to put some distance between myself and the immature silliness that characterisers a lot of the comic book industry. I feel the exact same way about a lot of games. Some games are embarrassing representations of the medium. Carmageddon is one of them. So am I biased in relation to entire mediums? Of course not. Am I biased in relation to certain examples of those mediums. Absolutely. How could it be any otherwise? How else can I make a decision on what to play? Or should I play everything and not have an opinion?
    You can even like the game in this topic's title. Don't feel any embarrassment for such things.

My principal reservation about Carmageddon, as I made clear in my second post, is its content. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot sit through gratutuoius, immature or otherwise objectionable content just for the hell of it. I take games seriously. I have fun while playing them, but I think it's an important and highly creative art-form and I refuse to be part of that section of the community that wants to keep it behind twenty years with try-hard efforts like Carmageddon. Call me a square if you want. Personally, I think you're at the other end of that spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Call me a square if you want. Personally, I think you're at the other end of that spectrum.

Square. :p

I must be one of the ones on the other end of the spectrum too. I play games to have fun and carmageddon was fun. I'm sure the new one will be the same. I'll definitely pick it up when it drops in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Carmageddon was outrageous fun. Never played much of it apart from the original though. Would definitely be interested in picking this up if it's anyway decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Absolutely didn't like it. The game stuck in a PlayStation 2 era

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

Avoid, I picked it up on steam a while back and its been having nothing but problems. Get your hands on a copy of the original. (i think GOG has it) not sure how it will function on PS4 or Xbox but if its anything like the pc version . . . . run for the hills

• Advertisement

Nathan G wrote: »
    Avoid, I picked it up on steam a while back and its been having nothing but problems. Get your hands on a copy of the original. (i think GOG has it) not sure how it will function on PS4 or Xbox but if its anything like the pc version . . . . run for the hills

You're getting mixed up with Reincarnation.

This is a seperate game and isn't even on Steam yet.

You could consider Reincarnation as the "beta" for Max Damage I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I absolutely loved the original Carmageddon. Spent so much time trying to unlock all the cars. Yeah it was stupid and over the top, but it was a whole lot of fun. Will wait and see what the reviews look like though, as it's hard to tell if it will have the originals charm.

Doge wrote: »
    You're getting mixed up with Reincarnation.

This is a seperate game and isn't even on Steam yet.

You could consider Reincarnation as the "beta" for Max Damage I suppose.

Doh! my bad. In that case disregard everything I have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

FYP bro.
    Gratuitous, immature nonsense.
    AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm into dance music, but when people here that they think I'm into the derivative and soulless rubbish they hear pumping out of car stereos.

I'm into comics, but when people here that they think I'm at home in my Spiderman pyjamas, sat in my darkened bedroom with a flashlight and a duvet pulled over my head.

I'm into games, but when people here that they think I spend my time playing mindless nonsense like Carmageddon and Call of Duty.

Perhaps I need to grow a thicker skin, but either way, people's ignorance about the breath and depth of various media often leads to embarrassing situations where I'm trying to explain or justify what I'm into, particularly in relation to comics which people cannot seem to accept as a credible medium.

That's where I'm coming from. Agree, or disagree, but please read and understand what I'm saying because you seem to be going out of your way to get the wrong end of the stick.

I like a lot of electronic music and I like playing games. I don't feel embarrassed if people get the wrong end of the stick in terms of what I like in these mediums because it doesn't bother me in the slightest. People can happily think I'm bopping to Avicii and trading 'yo momma' insults with 12 year olds in Call of Duty if they want. Life is too short to care about what other people's perceptions are of our hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I loved Carmageddon back in the day and spent a lot of time playing it. I also got the Android version when it was released a few years back.

However, I doubt I'll get this. Carmageddon was important because it was one of the first sandbox 'racing' games and aside from the violence, being able to go off and explore the world around the track was new. However, in an era where GTA does everything a Carmageddon game could do, but better, and with loads of extra content, I don't see the appeal of this any more.

But those cop cars... :mad:

But those cop cars... :mad:[/QUOTE]

The level of hate i have for them.

Advertisement