Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a very specific hunting-related question.

• 02-07-2016 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently thought of taking up hunting, as it sounded like an awesome hobby. Sadly, nobody I know can bring me hunting or hunts in general. I know that you cannot hunt on private land and that I need a gun license to, well, own a gun. If I were to build a blowgun (yes I watch Grant Thompson), would it be legal for me to hunt and kill small game such as rabbits, birds, squirrels etc. Yes, I will be skinning or cooking them so it's not just merciless killing. A reply would be much appreciated. Thx
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

camelcake wrote: »
    I've recently thought of taking up hunting, as it sounded like an awesome hobby. Sadly, nobody I know can bring me hunting or hunts in general. I know that you cannot hunt on private land and that I need a gun license to, well, own a gun. If I were to build a blowgun (yes I watch Grant Thompson), would it be legal for me to hunt and kill small game such as rabbits, birds, squirrels etc. Yes, I will be skinning or cooking them so it's not just merciless killing. A reply would be much appreciated. Thx

You can hunt on private property once you have permission from the land owner (sporting rights owner)

Dont know who Grant Thompson is but guessing he is not in Ireland as Irish law is very strict on what you can and cant use to catch/trap/hunt/kill animals.

Blow gun (open to correction) is a no no as is bow and arrow and catapult.

Rabbits and GREY squirrel (invasive species) have no season and can be hunted within the law all year round, RED squirrel is protected and cannot be shot/hunted.

Which birds? There are seasons for certain birds and others are protected whilst others have a season where they can be shot but only if your licensed, like pigeon (non degradation) shotgun only during season.

It doesnt matter what your intentions are if you dont follow the law then you are at risk of arrest and prosecution under the wildlife act or animal cruelty or firearms laws or trespass or possibly several other laws depending on where you are and what you have used to catch/kill animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Is this what you're talking about making?

http://www.homesteadnotes.com/make-this-laser-sighted-blowgun/2/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Blowguns, slingshots, stick, spears, poo on a stick. none of these can be used for hunting.

To hunt you must have a firearm (trapping aside), and to have a firearm you must have a firearms license.

To get a firearms license you must have good reason, be of good character with no convictions, have permission to shoot on land/be a member of a gun club, have the appropriate security for the firearm you intend to get, do a competency course, and then and only then may you get a firearm.

As said above very few species are unprotected, and all enjoy animal rights. IOW while foxes, rabbits, mink, grey squirrels, etc. can be shot all year round it must be done quickly and without undue suffering to the animal.

Every other species has a specific season, and then there are more that cannot be hunted/shoot, trapped, even disturbed and enjoy protection all year round with stiff penalities/finesw/prison time for anyone caught breaking this law.

It's not a hard sport to get into, but it's also not as easy as to walk in and buy a gun or make a "blowgun" and start hunting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Cant believe anyone would eat a squirrel. Disgusting

You can, but i personally wouldn't.

As said above they are an invasive species and they are slowly destroying the native Red population. They are larger, more aggressive and require larger territories than the Red. They are also carriers of various diseases (parapox) that is dangerous to the Red.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Otherwise known as 'Tree Chicken' , with as many varied recipes for cooking and service as other sources of wild meat.
    Unfortunately thier other moniker 'Tree Rats' doesn't conjure up quite such appetizing images........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Squirrel is definitely on my list for something to eat. Just feck all around on my hunting grounds but my estate has loads in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

There is a small home business in wales selling squirrel pie, used to be a common meat on people's diet.

They make the pies from greys culled, great idea never had squirrel myself but would definitely try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Is there really any difference in eating a squirrel as pretty much any other meat? I don't see what is disgusting about it. I would try it, but I wouldn't think it would form part of my regular diet.

goz83 wrote: »
    Is there really any difference in eating a squirrel as pretty much any other meat? I don't see what is disgusting about it. I would try it, but I wouldn't think it would form part of my regular diet.

It's vermin same as rabbit. Just different size. Only thing I'd worry about is the pox. I'd cook it right through. My Harris hawk caught two of them and it never crossed my mind. I fed the bird off them.
    Anything smaller than a hare and same size as a rat is in my opinion fair game. And none of them taste like chicken. Despite what people say. Rabbit doesn't taste like chicken. Pheasant doesn't taste like chicken. FFs even Chicken doesn't even taste like chicken anymore. I've eaten cobra and monitor lizard and was told it tastes like chicken well it doesn't. Everything is better than chicken. Rant over bring on the next can :)

• Advertisement

Everything is better than chicken. Rant over bring on the next can :)

NO

goz83 wrote: »
    NO

Yes. It's bland and boring.

Garlic butter and parsley chicken. Homer druel noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

It's been mentioned here already. How about starting off with trapping and snaring. A really affective way of getting some wild meat, and no licence needed. All you need is to read up on the matter, and gain some information.

Both rabbit and squirrel can be trapped, and rabbits can be snared to great effect, with a little knowledge.

Just keep in mind that you need to do a little homework, to be sure your keeping within the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,047 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

On Squirrel and eating.Y'all aint Southern boys till ya'll done eating your grits and Squirrel fry.:p Seriously,[grits aside:(] Squirrell is an exellent meat that has fed countless Southern fammlies for generations. it is kind of like somwhat onto rabbit.Rather bland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,047 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Eddie B wrote: »
    It's been mentioned here already. How about starting off with trapping and snaring. A really affective way of getting some wild meat, and no licence needed. All you need is to read up on the matter, and gain some information.

Both rabbit and squirrel can be trapped, and rabbits can be snared to great effect, with a little knowledge.

Just keep in mind that you need to do a little homework, to be sure your keeping within the law.

And you have to practise a Hell of alot to become proficent at either trapping or snaring.It is an art more than a science,learned over a lifetime and one becoming lost to time.Old style trappers and snarers who actually lived and fed their fammlies by the trap are almost extinct now in Ireland and England.With modern agricultural methods, and a changed landscape since Victorian times,I'd say it would be a hard job to really be able to do it as they did today.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Cass wrote:
    As said above they are an invasive species and they are slowly destroying the native Red population. They are larger, more aggressive and require larger territories than the Red. They are also carriers of various diseases (parapox) that is dangerous to the Red.

Bit racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And you have to practise a Hell of alot to become proficent at either trapping or snaring.It is an art more than a science,learned over a lifetime and one becoming lost to time.Old style trappers and snarers who actually lived and fed their fammlies by the trap are almost extinct now in Ireland and England.With modern agricultural methods, and a changed landscape since Victorian times,I'd say it would be a hard job to really be able to do it as they did today.

Would you believe that some of these methods are still used by many in the UK. Old traps like the Juby rabbit trap, are still legal to use. Rabbit snaring is bigger in the UK than over here, and hunting with slingshot is very popular in the UK also.

As you say, it takes a lot of practice to become proficient at snaring and trapping, but it can be an enjoyable passtime, especially for someone who only wants a couple for eating purposes.

There's lots of online tutorials and YouTube video's out there to help the beginner, and like any fieldsport, it can become very addictive.

Bit racist.

Possibly, but i'm not worried about a lawsuit from a grey.

Advertisement