Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do these websites make money

Options
  • 02-07-2016 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I'm doing a marketing diploma and researching food and car websites.

I was looking at Lovin Dublin and Menu pages during the week

How are these type of websites making money?

Google Adsense?

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LiranT

LovinDublin use Adsense, your browser might be blocking ads.

Notice that they also run competitions of giveaways through companies that want to have followers(FB like, twitter and so on)/subscribers to e-mail.

Basically, what they do is approach businesses in Ireland and ask if they want some exposure and tell them the price based on offers they have.

I didn't research any further than that, perhaps someone else knows more. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

LD uses Ad Sence and Double Click. Accounts for the holding company show accumulated losses of 185k to 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Menu Pages probably has a number of ways of making money from the site, these might include:
      Adsense and Double Click ad revenue
      Premium listings/ads on directory
      Commission on bookings made via their site
      Commission on restaurant daily deals booked via their site
      Commission on special offers bought via their site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Speculator wrote: »
    I was looking at Lovin Dublin and Menu pages during the week

How are these type of websites making money?

I don't know about Lovin Dublin but I'm 99% sure that restaurants pay to be listed on menupages and menupages also take a commission for a booking.

With car websites as you've also mentioned. Money from garages paying to list vehicles and banner ad revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As others have mentioned, the monetisation techniques used by sites will usually be a combination of various things.
    Ad networks, affiliate networks, affiliate aggregators, content marketing deals, banner and other types of ads etc.,
    Whether they are successful or not will vary - the Irish market is very small compared to the UK or US..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tmak

Hey Shane,

The best way to identify this is use a business model canvas you can search on youtube you will get the best insights into how these businesses make money.

When you say car website what exactly do you mean is it car sales, rental or car publishing websites.

Each have its own business model, just like retails stores but with the BMC you will be able to see exactly how they make money even jobsites have their own model as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

Native advertising is prolific on Lovin Dublin. Pretty much anything you read on that site is an advert. Businesses pay to be be featured on the front page and in lists e.g. Top 10 Best Burgers in Dublin. Anything that isn't native advertising or explicitly mentioned as sponsored is merely click bait in order to drive readers to adverts, which are everything else.

Advertisement