Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Council removing Claddagh Jewellers mural today Sat 2nd Jul 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Cherrypicker in view from their webcam live here
    https://thecladdagh.com/webcam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That balloon man is doing very erotic things! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Disgraceful. What is going on in their heads. City of culture my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Advertisement

Tell the what?
    Dat de Corpo is erasing beautiful ort from de walls of de high street. Dat culture is being removed so to speak.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dat de Corpo is erasing beautiful ort from de walls of de high street. Dat culture is being removed so to speak.

Or that the corpo is enforcing local government policy?

Or that the corpo is enforcing local government policy?
    Well if that was the case, thee's be no Connacht Rugby flegs flying off lamposts, there'd be no dogs loose on the beach during the day, there'd be no dog poo on the prom, there'd be no imbibing alcohol in public places, there'd be demolition orders all over the place due to planning breaches, every accommodation advert would include a BER...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok so I see a couple of issues here

First of all the "why do this when they should do that?" argument. The council are working on many things at once and just because they have got to your favourite issue doesn't mean it will never happen.
    Maybe you should run for local government and make things happen yourself?

Secondly, how do we even know this is even on the cards? I doubt that facebook person would be lying, but they give zero background and immediately also use the "why do this when they should do that?"

To me this is just a rumour until a real source is produced, not something someone heard and then posted on facebook and it spread onto boards.

Are you guys going down to protest the removal of the mural? I think you should.

The mural was done, then retention application was refused, then an appeal was refused. http://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/1350/0
    It's a disgrace, Joe Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »

First of all the "why do this when they should do that?" argument. The council are working on many things at once and just because they have got to your favourite issue doesn't mean it will never happen.

Secondly, how do we even know this is even on the cards? I doubt that facebook person would be lying, but they give zero background and immediately also use the "why do this when they should do that?"

To me this is just a rumour until a real source is produced, not something someone heard and then posted on facebook and it spread onto boards.

Are you guys going down to protest the removal of the mural? I think you should.
    What are you on about, 'rumour mill', they were ordered to remove it a long time ago. Keep up.

http://connachttribune.ie/prominent-city-centre-shop-to-remove-external-mural/

That's the first I've heard about it. Too bad it wasn't in the initial postings.

So mural have been there 10 years but An Bord Pleanála has refused permission to keep the signage and paintwork.
    The Board states that the mural and signs, by reason of excessive scale and design would detract significantly from the appearance of the building at the prominent Mainguard street location.

The Board states that the mural and signs, by reason of excessive scale and design would detract significantly from the appearance of the building at the prominent Mainguard street location.
    You could say that about an awful lot of Galway developments in the past decade

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Sure it's much easier to whinge about it in the Internet, it's cold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sure it's much easier to whinge about it in the Internet, it's cold out.

What would you be doing down there anyway, shouting at the lad hired to paint over it, i doubt hes one of the officials involved in the decision making process.

According to Shlomo it's been general knowledge for 3 years.
    Someone (else) should have done something during that time.

What do people propose you do now?

Vigil at Mainguard St needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

So theywve ruined a beautiful commissioned piece of art thay not only complimented the area but also the Claddagh Jewellery brand and replaced it with a tiny 2020 logo over an ignorant plain blue that is so out of place for the area its not even funny! Where were all the "arty" people in the council, James Harrold and Gary McMahon in particular seeing as they're heavily involved in the 2020 bid/hub, i cant believe this has been let go ahead!

Did they spray paint it blue and put in the Galway2020 logo?

Before and After

Untitled.png

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did they spray paint it blue and put in the Galway2020 logo?

It turns out the 2020 logo was up there before the the mural was airbrushed out of existence. How is this monstrosity more fitting for the area and complimenting the Claddagh Jewellers branding? The staff and management in there are livid over it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

At least we don't have the blue skies to afflict attrocities similar to
    2646816881_72f9078d25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

On the one hand, I agree, it's a pity to see it go. On the other I can see the councils point. Can we let everyone with a premise commission enormous art works on the front to advertise their business? That's probably the precedent we'd be looking at setting here.
    I quite liked the giant leg on the ladies shoe shop up near Lazlo which was removed for the same reason,I like this too, but I could see it getting out of hand if it became acceptable for everyone to do it with no regulation on style or maintenance of those works.

If there was regulations for those aspects it could be a nice addition to what's become a pretty tatty,dull city centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

On the one hand, I agree, it's a pity to see it go. On the other I can see the councils point. Can we let everyone with a premise commission enormous art works on the front to advertise their business? That's probably the precedent we'd be looking at setting here.
    I quite liked the giant leg on the ladies shoe shop up near Lazlo which was removed for the same reason,I like this too, but I could see it getting out of hand if it became acceptable for everyone to do it with no regulation on style or maintenance of those works.

If there was regulations for those aspects art works could be a nice addition to what's become a pretty tatty,dull city centre though.

Jesus this us another example of the council being ****ed if it does or ****ed if it doesn't. This mural attractive and all as it is doesn't have planning permission and most be removed.

Jesus this us another example of the council being ****ed if it does or ****ed if it doesn't. This mural attractive and all as it is doesn't have planning permission and most be removed.

Peoples apathy will never cease to amaze me

Neither do all the hoardings littering fencing adjacent Doughiska roundabout or the constantly changing 'temporary' signage on the tourist office facade on Forster St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

God forbid Galway have a bit of character.

One thing I loved about San Francisco was how many murals there were, it was gorgeous.

mural-over-new-sun-hong-kong-restaurant-san-francisco-vladimir-rayzman.jpg
    Winter95_scott1.jpg
    m0003.jpg?w=610&h=458

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Hey, that mottled in-your-face electric blue looks pretty sharp. Maybe we could get Sligo to paint over the Yeats mural on Lord Edward Street.

/sarcasm

• Advertisement

If they were racist comments on the wall would we feel the same or would we say should there not be planning laws covering these type of things?

Advertisement