Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Council removing Claddagh Jewellers mural today Sat 2nd Jul 2016

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is a new one? Perhaps for Galway Pride festival - also it's Nova these days though i remember Strano fondly
    Yeah it was being painted today. Does it have planning permission though?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I believe it may be a case of selective seeing, there are many many murals in this town but apparently you can't touch the shop street area whatsoever. I'll try find out during the week about PP for that though..

I believe it may be a case of selective seeing, there are many many murals in this town but apparently you can't touch the shop street area whatsoever. I'll try find out during the week about PP for that though..
    Well the answer is No, it does not have permission. Tis a disgrace Joe Keith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I should imagine it doesn't, i just offered to find out for sure.. If you have the answer why do you ask?

I should imagine it doesn't, i just offered to find out for sure.. If you have the answer why do you ask?
    Because in seven years time, t'will be painted over with a massive GalwayOlympics2032 logo sprayed on it...

• Advertisement

Oh dear.. I think this is my stop..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Interesting...
    Galway City Council have ordered the removal of the mural on Taaffes which was commissioned by.... um..... Galway City Council as it doesn't have planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

But sure we "won the 2020 yoke, so now we don't need it anymore lads" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Storm 10 wrote: »
    And today the council are painting a mural on Taff's building supporting Galway 2020, Pot calling Kettle black springs to mind, how come this can go up and the lovely one on Claddagh Jewelers has to be removed they could have left it there until the judges left

Our council is one of, if not, the worst in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, it was a temporary installation so didn't need planning. Provided it really is temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

For the love of Jesus Christ on a Yamaha, what is their obsession with destroying things and fiddling with stuff when it's actually an improvement to the aesthetics of the place?

What do they want it to go back to? That ganky, bland, shoddy graffiti covered wall that it was before yore man Finbarr247 did the mural?

For the love of Jesus Christ on a Yamaha, what is their obsession with destroying things and fiddling with stuff when it's actually an improvement to the aesthetics of the place?

What do they want it to go back to? That ganky, bland, shoddy graffiti covered wall that it was before yore man Finbarr247 did the mural?

Ah, but that was compliant with planning, don't ya see? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

In fairness, it was a temporary installation so didn't need planning. Provided it really is temporary.

I wonder what constitutes temporary? It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a new mural go up, rinse repeat etc. Leave a *small* box in the bottom corner for a logo sponsor if money is the issue. That way if anyone hates it, another will be along soon, and we get some cool temporary street art all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As with most City Council issues, I really don't see a huge issue. Arts Dept of City Council wanted the mural painted to help impress the 2020 judges for the hugely important 2020 title which Galway won.

Planning Dept subsequently said several weeks later, afrer that hard-sought win - lads, that's not permitted, so please remove it.

This has really turned into such a pissy, moany forum it's unbelievable. According to the Galway Forum, Galway City Council is the most corrupt, twisted instituion this side of the western hemisphere.

At this point, I don't think they can either not do anything, or do something, without being equally lambasted on this forum.

I would suggest to a few posters here to enter local politics and see how far they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

As with most City Council issues, I really don't see a huge issue. Arts Dept of City Council wanted the mural painted to help impress the 2020 judges for the hugely important 2020 title which Galway won.

Planning Dept subsequently said several weeks later, afrer that hard-sought win - lads, that's not permitted, so please remove it.

This has really turned into such a pissy, moany forum it's unbelievable. According to the Galway Forum, Galway City Council is the most corrupt, twisted instituion this side of the western hemisphere.

At this point, I don't think they can either not do anything, or do something, without being equally lambasted on this forum.

I would suggest to a few posters here to enter local politics and see how far they get.

The issues you're posting about here regarding the city council planning dept have absolutely nothing to do with the city councillors.

In many other cities worldwide and across the EU professional street art is welcomed and celebrated as a feature of the cities and towns. Lots of locals and tourists enjoy it, photograph it and and share it on their social media which positively promotes the city as a vibrant, artistic and cultural hub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Grand, but at no point did I mention City Councillors - and street art is also welcomed in Galway once it has the requisite permission - same as in any city across Europe.

A property owner was asked by the council if they could use his building for a mural. He agreed, and did them a favour by agreeing. Then the same council write to him to tell him the mural is illegal and order him to remove it or face prosecution. Do you not see a problem with a member of the public being treated like that by public servants?

Bureaucracy gone mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Zzippy wrote: »
    A property owner was asked by the council if they could use his building for a mural. He agreed, and did them a favour by agreeing. Then the same council write to him to tell him the mural is illegal and order him to remove it or face prosecution. Do you not see a problem with a member of the public being treated like that by public servants?

Bureaucracy gone mad...

I agree with you post except it's a bit rich blaming a public servant for doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »

Bureaucracy gone mad...

No, I don't see a problem, actually.

The property developer who owns the property (and has left it as a festering eyesore for years) knew the score perfectly well when he received a verbal request from the council official. He's allowed murals to be painted there before, and he's painted over them before. And likely will again, until he finally gets around to whatever he has planned for the property.

As did the council official.

And the journalist (I use the word broadly) who penned the "article".

Yes, many of us disagree with the planning principles being followed, which basically say that Galway didn't have street-sized art on buildings back in the olden days, so we cannot be doing it now.

But the proper process for changing this is via the development plan. Not via bitching about officials doing what they're paid to do.

• Advertisement

No, I don't see a problem, actually.

The property developer who owns the property (and has left it as a festering eyesore for years) knew the score perfectly well when he received a verbal request from the council official. He's allowed murals to be painted there before, and he's painted over them before. And likely will again, until he finally gets around to whatever he has planned for the property.

As did the council official.

And the journalist (I use the word broadly) who penned the "article".

Yes, many of us disagree with the planning principles being followed, which basically say that Galway didn't have street-sized art on buildings back in the olden days, so we cannot be doing it now.

But the proper process for changing this is via the development plan. Not via bitching about officials doing what they're paid to do.

I work in the public service. In our organisation, I'd be asking questions if one branch of the organisation was not consulting with another branch, and if that was subsequently impacting on our public image. Regardless of who owns the building, which is not relevant to my post, and I don't know why you brought it up - the public should be treated impartially whoever they are.

Maybe questions should be asked why the city council commissioned a mural that they knew was illegal, and why the planners didn't act internally then to have it stopped, rather than waiting til now to write a warning letter to the owner of the building...

Advertisement