Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth Headset-Am I entitled to return?

Options
  • 02-07-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I bought a Bluetooth headset from The Carphone Warehouse in September,2015.

I used it for about 40 hours over the course of the last few month.Now when I plug it in to charge,nothing happens. It doesn't charge, the power light doesn't come on and even my laptop doesn't recognise it.

I have a receipt but no packaging.Am I entitled to go back to the shop,or will I have to send it to the manufacturer??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Go to the retailer and see if they offer repair, replacement or refund. If you paid by card, a record of that will do. You do not need packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is the usb connection loose. Good possibility you may have damaged it either plugging it in or plugging it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is the usb connection loose. Good possibility you may have damaged it either plugging it in or plugging it out

I've tried several different charging cables. The port on the headset may be faulty.

I brought the headset to the store with accessories and receipt, however the girl at the counter told me I was not entitled to a refund and asked me to contact the manufacturer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I've tried several different charging cables. The port on the headset may be faulty.

I brought the headset to the store with accessories and receipt, however the girl at the counter told me I was not entitled to a refund and asked me to contact the manufacturer. :(

This is incorrect, they must deal with you. Check out the following link to the Consumer help website to see what your rights are.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

Have you tried the headset in another phone or stereo to rule out an issue with your phone's headset port?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

technically she was not wrong. they do not have to offer; nor can you insist on a refund.

they have to offer you one of the 3 r's

repair
    replace
    refund

here is the fine print

"Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect " from Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980

they need to offer you a solution - based on one of the 3 r's above.

but they cannot know if you have caused this damage yourself, and so its reasonable they send the goods off to assess, and possible repair.

you really need to go back to the shop, ask to speak to the manager and advise them (politely) you want them to resolve this issue under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980.

you could go to the manufacturer if it suits you. they will probably replace if you can provide proof of purchase. but you are entitled to resolution from the shop. I'd suggest you do what suit you best.

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

FionnK86 wrote: »

Working in the IT repair business I've seen so many cases where people bend the usb connection inside the device, damaging the port. A lot of companies will repair through goodwill but in my opinion they don't need to because the damage, most of the time, comes down to misuse

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Carphone Warehouse offer a 6 month warrenty with all accessories. They will exchange the item if you have a reciept and there is no valid physical damage visible.

Advertisement