Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Options For The Noob?

Options
  • 02-07-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi. I realise noob questions are often treated with disdain, so apologies for this one, but noobs gotta start somewhere. :rolleyes:

I know virtually nothing about Linux, but from the little I've come to learn of it, I find myself drawn / interested.

Can you guys recommend any resources to help a noob understand more, and determine whether it's a viable alternative to Windows for them?

I had a bit of a trawl around here before posting this, and I found this comment that suggest Linux mightn't be suitable for noobs:

"I would recommend that anyone here trying out Linux for the first time be a power user of Windows and have a grasp of their machine's innards and of PCs in general.

Using Linux is frequently challenging, more so as most of the guides on the net are utter tripe. They assume a level of expertise that just won't be there with new users or provide half-assed explanations. What's that point in telling us to enter command xyz without telling us why we use that one.
    "

That comment was posted in 2004, so I'd hope that things have changed in 12 years?

I'm neither a Windows power-user, and while I do have a broad understanding of a laptop's innards, nor am I experienced in that regard. TBH, I'm not interested in getting into the innards of my laptop - I really just want to have as trouble-free, reliable and dependable a computer experience as possible. While not disastrous, I can't describe my last two (Dell, Windows Vista, XP & 7) laptops as trouble-free, reliable and dependable.

My understanding is that Linux can provide this. My Mac friends cite Macs as the #1 dependable machine/OS, but I'm not interested in Mac.

FWIW, in the next year or so, I'll be replacing an aging Dell Studio Windows laptop, likely with something with an SSD rather than a spinning HDD. Possibly something like an Asus UX-whatever. I'm thinking I'd like to run Linux on that.

Usage will be the typical / average sort: spreadsheets & word processing, basic hobby-level photo & video editing & storage, www browsing. No gaming, no real "advanced usage" to speak of. I do use MS Visio a lot, and would like to be able to continue to use that, rather than have to learn a new equivalent program on Linux/Ubuntu (or whatever). I gather there are work-arounds for using MS apps on Linux?

Thanks for any replies.

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Hi. I realise noob questions are often treated with disdain, so apologies for this one, but noobs gotta start somewhere. :rolleyes:

I know virtually nothing about Linux, but from the little I've come to learn of it, I find myself drawn / interested.

Can you guys recommend any resources to help a noob understand more, and determine whether it's a viable alternative to Windows for them?

I had a bit of a trawl around here before posting this, and I found this comment that suggest Linux mightn't be suitable for noobs:

"I would recommend that anyone here trying out Linux for the first time be a power user of Windows and have a grasp of their machine's innards and of PCs in general.

Using Linux is frequently challenging, more so as most of the guides on the net are utter tripe. They assume a level of expertise that just won't be there with new users or provide half-assed explanations. What's that point in telling us to enter command xyz without telling us why we use that one.
    "

That comment was posted in 2004, so I'd hope that things have changed in 12 years?

I'm neither a Windows power-user, and while I do have a broad understanding of a laptop's innards, nor am I experienced in that regard. TBH, I'm not interested in getting into the innards of my laptop - I really just want to have as trouble-free, reliable and dependable a computer experience as possible. While not disastrous, I can't describe my last two (Dell, Windows Vista, XP & 7) laptops as trouble-free, reliable and dependable.

My understanding is that Linux can provide this. My Mac friends cite Macs as the #1 dependable machine/OS, but I'm not interested in Mac.

FWIW, in the next year or so, I'll be replacing an aging Dell Studio Windows laptop, likely with something with an SSD rather than a spinning HDD. Possibly something like an Asus UX-whatever. I'm thinking I'd like to run Linux on that.

Usage will be the typical / average sort: spreadsheets & word processing, basic hobby-level photo & video editing & storage, www browsing. No gaming, no real "advanced usage" to speak of. I do use MS Visio a lot, and would like to be able to continue to use that, rather than have to learn a new equivalent program on Linux/Ubuntu (or whatever). I gather there are work-arounds for using MS apps on Linux?

Thanks for any replies.

Mark

I'd stick with windows tbh. I've found Ubuntu to be poor on laptops. Works much better on desktop, although this might have changed over the last couple of years. I don't think there's a good alternative to visio so you'd probably end up running windows on VM ware or as a dual boot.

You can easily try Ubuntu using a live cd / USB without needing to install it on your hard drive, maybe do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There are workarounds for using Windows apps, not sure how well it would preform on a laptop though so I can't recommend it, or any alternatives unfortunately.

Generally the best way to start with Linux is jump right in I find, get a USB and burn a bootable iso to it (use Pen Drive Linux) and boot your laptop into it. It'll give you a full taste of the OS to have a peek at without changing anything in your laptop.

If you want to go full time with this laptop, and you have the hard drive space you can do a process known as partitioning to split your hard drive into 2 parts or more and install Linux on one and Windows on the other, when you turn on the laptop you'll get the option to load whichever you like.

For a beginner I'd look at Linux Mint, Ubuntu or Lubuntu to get started, Mint is similarish to Windows, Ubuntu is the standard, largest OS AFAIK and Lubuntu is a laptop oriented Ubuntu if Ubuntu isn't to your liking. All three will have ample guides and support for whatever you want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Why are you not interested in Mac? The price?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I am a power-user of Linux and over the years, I have tried to use it as a replacement for a Windows desktop and it has simply never worked.

However, for basic tasks, such as web browsing and light Word Processing/Spreadsheets it should be ok. My honest opinion? Use Google Docs or the like, rather than using native Linux Apps.

While there is software for photo and video editing, I don't know how they would compare to their Windows equivalent.
    Mark#1 wrote: »
    I gather there are work-arounds for using MS apps on Linux?

Don't even go there. :)

I've done it over the years and to be blunt, forget it. If you are relying on it (Wine is what you are talking about) for anything more than tinkering or out of curiosity, forget it. I personally believe it is just not worth the effort. I am sure others will disagree. Even when I got Microsoft Office working on Linux, there were many issues with files and drives and other stuff that rendered the effort pointless.

I would suggest you try a Live CD - you can boot into Linux without installing anything, get a feel for the software you need and reboot back into Windows in a matter of minutes. If your laptop doesn't have a CD drive, you can do the same from a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

There are many different types of Linux distros although many are closely related within a small number of "family groups" and are quite similar.
    A Linux distribution (often abbreviated as distro) is an operating system made from a software collection, which is based upon the Linux kernel and, often, a package management system. Linux users usually obtain their operating system by downloading one of the Linux distributions.

One of best places to find out about distros types is the website distrowatch.
    http://distrowatch.com/
    On the right hand side you can see the Page Hit Ranking table which gives most popular as they measure with links.

As a first step for learning I would recommend the distro Knoppix that's where I Started
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix
    Just go to Knoppix website, download the ISO to a DVD or flash drive and then change your computer BIOS to boot from that and your machine becomes a Linux computer
    without changing anything on your hardrive.
    KNOPPIX is a bootable disc with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational disc, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the disc can have up to 10 GB of executable software installed on it.

Also on the plus side if you decide not to go with Linux , A Knoppix DVD/flash drive is still a very useful tool for data recovery and for rescue a broken system for your toolkit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Download and run 'live' as many distro as you can or while your interest remains.
    Discard those you do not like or don't suit you for any reason.
    What remains will most likely be worth spending a lot more time on to be sure.

For what its worth my suggestions to start with are
    LinuxMint
    PCLinuxOS
    and if for use on weak hardware
    AntiX

Most of all Have Fun ..... it is the enjoyment of the journey that is important ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

As someone who uses linux, heres my two cents worth.

Moved on from windows 98 to vista (vista poor), got bsod so moved to windows 7 (7 good) but niggly issues and dumpster diving old pcs at work prompted me to try linux.
    At first I tried ubuntu and struggled a little initially, but found it rewarding. Eventually I tried linux mint and bingo, alls well.
    In truth if your strictly a "home pc" user like me (browsing,kodi,picture editing,occasional word processing) you will find it rock solid. I actually dual boot with windows 10 (free upgrade from 7 about 6 months ago) and I never use windows at all now.
    If you can source an old pc install it to try it out. I have put it on loads of old 8 9yeaer old dual core pcs no problem.
    Linux's biggest problem is that windows is ubiquitous and therfore can appear weird at first.
    If you started out with linux then windows would appear weird too.
    Try it stick with it, it's worth it in the end. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Linux is a well capable operating system. But, it is not windows.

As things stand I could never use linux full time. But the reason for that is because my work functioning has windows dependencies (software). However my home use machine, and that of four others in my household is 100% linux based (predominantly Mint).

Is it suitable for a noob? Well I can't remember what things were like in linux land 10+years ago (don't think it was that drastic as described in your post), but a few years back I moved some ageing relatives (70+years of age) to linux Mint. They haven't had any issues with it though admittedly their use is predominantly web browsing, word processing, occasional spreadsheets and email. LibreOffice will be almost identical on Windows as is on Linux. Those ageing relatives moved from Word/Excel to LibreOffice Writer/Calc. Honestly, they were just fine. They understood it wasn't going to be Windows and though similar, would be different. Recently someone else moved them to Windows 7. That didn't last long. They requested that I move them back to Linux Mint. I obliged :D

On the other hand, at his request I obliged a younger acquaintance (early 20's) with installing linux Mint over his virus and malware ridden Windows 7 installation. I set it up fresh with dual boot a fresh Linux and clean Windows install. That didn't end particularly well for Linux Mint. He liked the idea of a system which was not (in general) expected to be virus or malware ridden (linux), but he was very tied to apple devices (iPod and iPhone) and although I replicated the functionality in Linux to sync his music library and other i*Functionality, the end result wasn't windows iTunes and that was what he was used to, and liked. Last I heard, he had someone else wipe the machine and back fully in the Windows camp. That's fine. At least he tried.

So, it won't be for everyone and i'd suggest that it may in some ways depend on what your motivation is and what you expect / need to get out of your engagement with the platform. But as others have suggested, as a starting point - do try a live boot from a USB drive without installing. You'll get a full sense of whether you can use it (or not) or more importantly whether you'll want to use it or not. You have nothing to lose really.

I hope it works out well for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No Linux is not Noob friendly. Its like asking which Jumbo Jet should a novice pilot fly first. OK, the Jumbo Jet analogy is a bit extreme, but you get the picture.

But we were all noobs once. I didn't leave my mothers womb walking, talking and recompiling kernels. I had to read a lot and employ loads of trial and error and I still have a lot to learn, after using linux for 14 years.

The real question is, which distro is well documented and has a vibrant and helpful community.

My suggestions:

Debian
    Fedora
    CentOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

syklops wrote: »
    No Linux is not Noob friendly. Its like asking which Jumbo Jet should a novice pilot fly first.

Disagree to an extent.

Windows is equally unfriendly to complete noobs -think back to the first time you ever used a computer all the trial and error you went through.

Migrating to Linux in some ways meaning one has to learn everything all over again (Im something of a noob myself in that regard) but some of you've learned with windows is applicable (with some variation) to a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I think we need to define the word noob.

Linux noob - never used Linux before.
    Computer noob - never used a computer before.

If you've never used a computer before then initially, Linux is no more difficult than Windows, I'll accept that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Once it's installed, Linux is pretty grand. Mint is easy enough to install and most hardware is supported by the kernel these days. The hard bit in the Mint install is deciding how to paritition the system ifyou're keeping windows on the disk for dual booting. Once you have a Linux savvy friend you can lean on the odd time, it's no problem.

Having reinstalled windows 7 and linux mint last week, mint was definitely the easier to get up and running quickly on my 5yo laptop. It helps (for both) to have someone knowledgable you can get over for a pint during the install process...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I find ms windows ecosystem annoying (*) and I run linux virtual machine on top of windows host at work just to make my life simple.

@Mark#1, go for a live distro, but remember it might be much solver than the real installation. If you hit any problems search for an answer - if you fail don't hesitate to ask - we'll help you. There is no need to use command line or compile software anymore, but once you know how to use command line it gives options that are pure magic for point-and-click users.

(*) a ton of small annoying things from batch file renaming, through window focus to merging pdfs (it there a _free_ tools for that?) and many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thankfully, over the years the user experience technology landscape has shifted significantly. I think a GUI is a GUI whether on Windows or Linux. Under the hood, things may be very very very different, but on the UI side, things are *only* very different so perhaps it is now down to the capacity, capability and desire of the GUI warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Thankfully, over the years the user experience technology landscape has shifted significantly. I think a GUI is a GUI whether on Windows or Linux. Under the hood, things may be very very very different, but on the UI side, things are *only* very different so perhaps it is now down to the capacity, capability and desire of the GUI warrior.

I would respectfully disagree. :)

While I accept 100% that the user experience has come on leaps and bounds in Linux over the years, I would argue that fundamentally functionality is more critical as that what people want out of a computer - helping them to achieve a task.

I accept that the likes of Libre Office and the many other applications are pretty to look at and there is a lot of consistency with the likes of Windows/Mac. However, in my experience, getting the damn things to do what I want is still not up there with Windows applications.

(I really, really feel the need to acknowledge the hard work put into this kind of software by the many, many volunteers across the internet. I am not disparaging their work, on the contrary. But in my opinion, an army of volunteers cannot compete with a commercial entity when it comes to software functionality)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am a lot more positive than most here about a newcomer to Linux.
    It is definitely very helpful to have someone to communicate with when learning the (new) ways of Linux.
    It is also very important to have access to a helpful and responsive forum of knowledgeable users.
    With those in place there should be very few problems that are not immediately sorted.

4 members of my immediate family changed to Linux in the last 5 years or so ....... all because I began to refuse to support their Windows installations!
    Yep, not one of them was capable of keeping their Windows install running without some serious help. That help was often required and for different reasons.
    Since each has changed to Linux I have to ask about the install and offer help if needed.
    I seem to be looking for a reason to inspect their installs rather than being pestered by each for help.
    The age profiles are between 24 and 60; lots of social media as well as one doing web dev. I had one get into photog and video stuff also for a media course they took.
    So from my personal experience I see little reason a newcomer to Linux cannot thrive and love the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its not a noob question OP,i have been doing linux course for 6 months and just barely passing exams,its really step curve to learn,basics alone would make your head spin,while linux went long ways now to impove gui and is used almost everyhwere-example android is based on linux think when google bought it it becomes unix or vice versa.

Now advice i got was to not use some fancy distribution like kali linux since it will just complicate whole experience-even thou i have it on one of my laptops and theres plenty of tutorials but fact is when you just follow commands and dont have clue what they actually do or mean it becomes boring pretty soon.Thus most popular distribution now is Linux Mint,its small in size doesnt require much processing power and is user friendly - so if you can start using such distro you have your first step.

Afterwards if you want to learn it,id suggest udemy courses website,find classes that have most positive replies and just start from beginning -most of them even for adnaced courses dont go above 20e.
    Since while installation progress and using simple apps is almost identical to windows,but anything more advanced ,setting up accounts privilleges,optimization all require CLI and thats really hard thing coming down from windows,since all structure of linux isnt anything like windows,theres no c drive,everything is considered a file,mounting -different directories for different soft/media/scripts shells etc is pretty hard when your typing stuff on black and white command line.

As other person mentioned here,if you want to take linux road its best to get rid of windows,while VM is option its more likely you will lose interest soon,where if its your daily desktop you will need to use it one way or another,thus every task will be learning.

That said i didnt get much into it yet since doing two courses which are equally hard linux requires a lot of attention to learn it and time,but bright side its open source possibilities are endless and tools/software are impressive,now if you need certain software from windows to run on linux it might present many difficulties ,since emulation also needed files are pretty hard on laptops to get some software working correctly,last time ive checked.

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major heres a site to see all distros and some descriptions,rest is up to you how you will go learning it,since many forums with advanced users are a bit of a dicks,but if you can get basics how linux operates and understating then eventually youll get hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

hey op you could get small distros of linux that fit on a a usb key and boot up if you wanted to have a look that way before you commit to puting it on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

sheesh wrote: »
    hey op you could get small distros of linux that fit on a a usb key and boot up if you wanted to have a look that way before you commit to puting it on anything
    This reminds me situation i had a while one of family members laptops hdd drive failed,since they still needed to use for basic web browsing emails etc,figured why not get live distro on usb,and after trying few small ones,laptop was usable again until new drive came in,just one example how smth like linux can be used in creative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would respectfully disagree. :)
    I accept that the likes of Libre Office and the many other applications are pretty to look at and there is a lot of consistency with the likes of Windows/Mac. However, in my experience, getting the damn things to do what I want is still not up there with Windows applications.

I would have agreed with you up until quite recently but Jesus the later versions of Office are woeful. they seem t have changed a lot of menu locations and colleagues in work are having great trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement