Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 QF, Germany vs Italy 20:00 RTE2

• 02-07-2016 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

390523.jpg vs. 390517.jpg

I won't let on I've done a lot of research, but I have an opinion anyway :D and I alway a wanted to open a match thread.

Although at this point of the tournaments all remaining teams - maybe with the exception of Iceland - can probably win, I think this match is a bit of an early final.

Italy are just being Italy. We all know the players well, they are competent at the highest level at the very least. As usual they emerge from the pot of teams that no one talked about much to be one of the tournament favourites.
    They play really well as a team. They sit a bit deep but not out of necessity - they can pass and play and attack with the best of them - more so by choice, as this is how they like to hurt their opponents and defending is their true passion anyway ;). They say de Rossi is going to be missed but I wouldn't read much into that. If they went on to win Euro 2016 no one would be surprised by it now.

Germany are also just being Germany. Bit of a lukewarm start with a crappy enough one thrown in, but trending upwards. I think we have found our starting 11 - Schweinsteiger may have a say in that yet - and I quite like it. Monster goalie, class A centre backs, best midfield of them all - Toni Kroos, Mesut Oezil! - and Herr Gomez is actually a good striker, too. So its just the wing backs that are a bit inexperienced but even they are quite ok. Thomas Mueller thinks we are better than 2 years ago and who am I to disagree?

I think its going to be a cracker and I have no idea who's going to come out the better. I really don't. I don't think the 'Italian curse' counts for much, its the strength of the Italian team that makes this a 50:50 for me.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A great game to look forward to on a miserable wet day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Germany to finally break their duck against Italy.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Really tough one to call but I fancy the Italians to do it. I won't bang on about Antonio Conte but Antonio Conte.

Antonio Conte Antonio Conte Antonio Conte Antonio Conte Antonio Conte Antonio Conte Antonio Conte Antonio Conte .

Conte.

Antonio.

<

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this could be a cagey affair and I can see it going to Extra-Time. I'll go for Germany to edge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Hoping Italy can do it, as I have a bet on them to win the euros

• Advertisement

CmYOH3KWEAA-8vZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You tell 'im!

No Hamann on the panel. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

6tGqzzH.png
    Nearly 10 years to the day...

Andiamo a Berlino Parigi! Andiamo a prenderci la coppa!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The whole tournament has a whiff of Italy in 2006 to me and I have a feeling they are going all the way so Italy to go through but don't really mind who wins as long as it lives up to it's billing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Italy are definitely going to win this. Germany have been coasting for two years and won't be able to match the levels of commitment and hunger in the Italian team. Germany 0-2 Italy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

John Giles really doesnt rate Kroos

Oh John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm relieved to see that Dunphy doesn't fancy us :) Half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ohh Liam Buffoon the only thing he has not won in club football is the camp league....

Facepam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If Boateng doesn't start I fancy the Italians, otherwise Germany to take them. They have yet to concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Going for a 0-0 - two great defences

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Fancy the Italians to win this & hope they do. Probably be a tight game but think the Italian defence will keep the Germans quite and nick a goal late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Could well be a tight game and come down to the Keeper who doesn't slip up.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,205 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

This should be a fascinating match. Quality on show all round. Going to go for a 2-1 German win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Its funny how the perception of Italy has changed from before the tournament began to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,205 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Dunphy at his irritating best. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dunphy at his irritating best. :rolleyes:

Yeah I almost want Germany to win with Kroos getting a hat-trick after listening to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

German fans outdoing themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

What an anthem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

George showing why Lyric FM pay him the big bucks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Love to see Thomas Muller score tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A sad day for Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Love the Italian anthem.

Khedira's done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

You know it's bad when the manager's playbook comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Broken foot I'd say, looked pretty sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Khedira crocked. Shame, when he's fit and in the humour, he bosses a midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Schweinsteiger certain to inject pace into this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Game became a lot more difficult for Germany playing out so much of the game with 10 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Poor Sami.... not again.:(
    He didnt look fully fit thought.

Speaking of not being fully fit here Schwie. I dont know what it is but every time I see him coming on nowadays I think he must be running on to one of those Ex Player World XIs. He just doesnt look like a professional footballer any more.

• Advertisement

Honestly thought Schweinsteiger was 33 or 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Poor Sami.... not again.:(
    He didnt look fully fit thought.

Speaking of not being fully fit here Schwie. I dont know what it is but every time I see him coming on nowadays I think he must be running on to one of those Ex Player World XIs. He just doesnt look like a professional footballer any more.

He looks more like a professional pie eater recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Penalties written all over this one.

Both teams intent on cancelling each other out.

He looks more like a professional pie eater recently

I think it's a combination of the grey and the extra few pounds. It's not a great sign for the Germans that he's next in line to come on though is it. I would have thought they would have better depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Mario Gomez reminds me of Bernard Brogan.

• Advertisement

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Mario Gomez reminds me of Bernard Brogan.

Cos he keeps knocking the ball over the bar? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Italy poor enough so far. This has the hallmark of a 0-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

RobertKK wrote: »
    Love to see Thomas Muller score tonight.

The stuff of my nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think it's a combination of the grey and the extra few pounds. It's not a great sign for the Germans that he's next in line to come on though is it. I would have thought they would have better depth.

yeah, he's so out of shape isn't he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Thought that was our first goal.

Germany look on top to me. Hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I backed 0-0 so someone will score

What has happened since the quarter finals. I was losing all faith in football, but the quarter finals have been great. Teams actually having a go, it's great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

No De Rossi or Motta is a huge loss to Italy and surprised that Germany showed so much respect to them by going with three centre backs.
    Fascinating match up that could go to extra time. Hopefully this wont be decided by a controversial call from the officials. Watch out for Insigne around the 70min mark when the Germans are hopefully pushing forward a bit more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chiellini is brilliantly cynical in everything he does.

Müller reminds me of Big Bird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement