Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A different "change of address"

Options
  • 02-07-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭

I've got a slightly unusual question, and having had no luck with google, I thought I'd see if someone here could advise.

We live in a house that was built as part of an estate some 15 years back. Consequently, it's address is the name of the estate, followed by our house number.
    The problem we have with this is that it was built adjoining the back of the estate, with no access to it from the estate itself at all. If you drive round the estate looking for our house number, you'd end up ca. 1km away from our house on the other side of the estate, which is where the nearest number to ours is.
    Instead, our house faces a road that runs past the estate entrance. Our driveway is about 500m away from the entrance to the estate.

And this makes it extremely difficult for anyone to find - from parcel delivery to takeaway delivery to plumbers for boiler services. I often feel like the bloke in the old Eircode add, on the phone trying to give someone directions.
    Btw, Eircode has not solved our problem, it's made it slightly worse by showing the house associated with our code in an entirely different location to ours on their maps again, but that's another matter really.

Long story short, we have been thinking of changing the address of our house to the name of the street it's actually facing, and then whatever number would be appropriate. But we have no idea who we would need to approach with a request like that.
    Would anyone here know where we'd need to go to get this, and if it's even stricly speaking possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Talk to An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

its possible ,just give your house a name,

mr. shenshen o reily
    THE WILLOW etc
    name of road/estate
    town
    city

tell your postie,and most important , put up a sign with house name on it that is within eyesight of passing traffic.

tell someone calling to bypass estate and house is on the right/left with sign on it etc,you dont need to register a house name,and can call it what you want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Marcusm wrote: »
    Talk to An Post.

Definitely will, but there must be some sort of official agency registering and assigning addresses, surely?
    We're neither of us Irish natives, but we want to make sure that this change would be actually official and binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shenshen wrote: »
    Definitely will, but there must be some sort of official agency registering and assigning addresses, surely?
    We're neither of us Irish natives, but we want to make sure that this change would be actually official and binding.

An post keep their databases, then theres Eircode. Pretty sure the land registry dont care what name you give the house.

If eligible to vote make sure you update the register of electors when you go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I just made up an address when the same thing happened to me. I had a house in a lane and the title deeds were xxxA Road with xxx being the number of the huse facing the road to the front. I put a number on the door and started giving Y zzz Lane as the address. occasionally I would put y zzz lane (rere xxx Road). Nobody cares. When selling you have to demonstrate title to the house you are selling. Just put xxxA also known as y zzz and a declaraation from an engineer that xxxa road is now known as y zzz lane.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    An post keep their databases, then theres Eircode. Pretty sure the land registry dont care what name you give the house.

If eligible to vote make sure you update the register of electors when you go ahead.

Eircode weren't very amenable when I first told them about our post code showing a completely different location. But I'll try them again. I'll also check with An Post.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Shenshen wrote: »
    Eircode weren't very amenable when I first told them about our post code showing a completely different location. But I'll try them again. I'll also check with An Post.

Thanks for all the advice.

Geodirectory, an an post subsidiary are the people you need to talk to. I have had success at this before.

I would suggest that you speak to your local delivery office and your postman too. Geodirectory are unlikely to change anything without their agreement.

Eircode even should not have treated you in this way. I would put them on notice that you are concerned that if there is an accident at your home their failure to fix their product could result in a delay in the emergency services arriving. If they do not sort it out I would put the emergency services on notice on similar terms. That will sort it out pretty correctly.

That said, eircode are basically dependent on Geodirectory for accurate data.

Geodirectory, an an post subsidiary are the people you need to talk to. I have had success at this before.

I would suggest that you speak to your local delivery office and your postman too. Geodirectory are unlikely to change anything without their agreement.

Eircode even should not have treated you in this way. I would put them on notice that you are concerned that if there is an accident at your home their failure to fix their product could result in a delay in the emergency services arriving. If they do not sort it out I would put the emergency services on notice on similar terms. That will sort it out pretty correctly.

That said, eircode are basically dependent on Geodirectory for accurate data.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely check with Geodirectory.

We had an emergency last year, actually. It had never even occured to me to look up my Eircode before ringing emergency services, and they never asked for it. They passed my address and the directions I gave straight on to the ambulance crew. I've got a feeling Eircode is being widely ignored, I'm not sure how reliable it is for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Addresses in Ireland are by common usage. It's a pain in the backside, but welcome to being in an immature country.

We changed ours before. Basically you put up a name sign or number and start using it. Tell the sorting office, and then swap all your documents to new address.

Eircodes can also be fixed. Mine and a house 6 doors up were swapped.

An post get onto geodirectory to fix that. They do an upload of corrections once a quarter... So it takes a few months. i emailed customer.services@anpost.ie with screenshots of the incorrect eircodes and what they should be. About 6 months later it was fixed.

I would correct your address first, then do the eircode with the nw address

Advertisement