Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance on a commercial Focus

• 02-07-2016 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a commercial ford focus but called my insurance company and they will not even quote me because the car has commercial tax.
    I wanted to buy this myself and put in my own name and insure / tax myself but it is proving difficult.

Other option is to buy it through the company I work for, register it to the company, tax and insure it through the company however then I would not have insurance in my own name and would loose my no claims bonus for when I buy another car in years to come.

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

What's your occupation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Im general manager for a chain of retail stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

It seems like you want to avail of the cheaper rate of tax?

I think most companies will only offer commercial policies to those the deem in commercial occupational's. Self employed buidlers and the likes.

Vehicles taxed commercially usually have to be converted for commercial use - removal of back sets etc...
    A company wont put a commercial vehicle onto a non commercial product.

That's where the problem is, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Focus that the OP wants to buy is already a car derived van which already would have the rear converted to a commercial vehicle. You can buy these car vans from new like that so nothing unusual here.

I think the problem here is that the OP's insurance company think that the OP might use the Focus van for business use in conjunction with his job and they don't like that. Their logic here is that if the OP is using the van in conjunction with his employer's business and has a claim made against him, then it's the OP's insurance that is paying out instead of his employer's insurance company as they don't own the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Focus that the OP wants to buy is already a car derived van which already would have the rear converted to a commercial vehicle. You can buy these car vans from new like that so nothing unusual here.

I think the problem here is that the OP's insurance company think that the OP might use the Focus van for business use in conjunction with his job and they don't like that. Their logic here is that if the OP is using the van in conjunction with his employer's business and has a claim made against him, then it's the OP's insurance that is paying out instead of his employer's insurance company as they don't own the vehicle.

Correct.

I want to buy this simply to house my golf clubs and tools etc
    Nothing to do with work. I have no kids or any need for back seats etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

buzz wrote: »
    Correct.

I want to buy this simply to house my golf clubs and tools etc
    Nothing to do with work. I have no kids or any need for back seats etc.

Unfortunately in your line of work the insurance company are seeing the risk of you using it for work purposes as higher than someone in another occupation. Not saying it's right but just that's the way I understand how they see it.

Advertisement