Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange thing happened on the M50 yesterday.

• 02-07-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Just in case there are any non-Irish people reading this, the rules of driving on a motorway in Ireland are as follows:

Note: Example based on the M50's Speed Limit of 100kph.
    1. Inside lane (leftmost) - used to travel at a steady pace of about 105 to 110 kph. This lane is usually clear of heavy vehicles and slow drivers.
    2. Middle lane - used to travel at any speed that is more than 10 kph less than the speed limit. It is the slow lane for articulated lorries, caravans, and drivers wearing flat caps.
    3. Outside lane (rightmost) - used by drivers who like to experience the stress of trying to drive over the speed limit but are usually stuck behind articulated trucks overtaking other articulated trucks by passing them at a speed that is not more than 3 kph faster. This is such an important feature of our roads that even the normally law abiding Eddies drive this way.
    Now the great aspect of these rules is that everyone knows them and, usually sticks to them rigidly.

However, yesterday, I was enjoying the smooth drive on the inside lane at about 105 kph and I noticed a car coming down the acceleration ramp and eased up to give him space to drive across my path and into the slow lane in the middle. Low and behold, he didn't. He stayed in the left lane and drove at about 85 kph. What is the world coming to if drivers continue with this silly behaviour.

As there were a number of cars driving at the same speed as him in the middle lane I was forced to drive across two lanes, over take them, and then drive back across two lanes to get back into the fast lane again.

Where will this madness end?

*Note: I use the word "acceleration" for the benefit of international readers - we all know that it is the "drive slow enough to piss off the car behind you" ramp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Are all irish motorists up to speed on this?

I stopped reading after your first line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Note: Example based on the M50's Speed Limit of 100kph. Inside lane (leftmost) - used to travel at a steady pace of about 105 to 110 kph. This lane is usually clear of heavy vehicles and slow drivers.Middle lane - used to travel at any speed that is more than 10 kph less than the speed limit. It is the slow lane for articulated lorries, caravans, and drivers wearing flat caps.Outside lane (rightmost) - used by drivers who like to experience the stress of trying to drive over the speed limit but are usually stuck behind articulated trucks overtaking other articulated trucks by passing them at a speed that is not more than 3 kph faster. This is such an important feature of our roads that even the normally law abiding Eddies drive this way. Not the great aspect of these rules is that everyone knows them and, usually sticks to them rigidly.

Very odd for someone to use the inside lane; the only cars I see in it are in the 50 metres before an exit as drivers leave the middle lane as late as possible.

You forgot to mention that white vans have right of way in the middle lane and travel in convoy. Reaching the speed limit is frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Are all irish motorists up to speed on this?

I stopped reading after your first line.

then you missed out

It's quite correct, the middle lane is the slow lane, the right hand lane is for travelling in convoy and the left lane is for overtaking and making progress.

Interestingly when I was in India all the trucks and slow vehicles used the right hand lane and the fast traffic was all to the left. Kinda of worked, but I don't know how the trucks ever got off the highway!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

then you missed out

It's quite correct, the middle lane is the slow lane, the right hand lane is for travelling in convoy and the left lane is for overtaking and making progress.

Interestingly when I was in India all the trucks and slow vehicles used the right hand lane and the fast traffic was all to the left. Kinda of worked, but I don't know how the trucks ever got off the highway!

My point, and I'm sure you picked up on it, is that there are loads of Irish motorists that don't know or observe rules of the road especially on motorways.

Why focus on nonIrish drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you miss the point, he's saying that "this is how we do it in Ireland" for the benefit of foreigners who will be totally mystified .

Check out the smilie in the title line.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Following this purely for entertainment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

M50 southbound is a mess until after N7 junction, I normally stay in the inside lane, moving out to middle lane to accommodate merging traffic but lately when I come to that junction I get into middle lane to avoid the late jockeying to exit. Northbound around 4-6pm Sandyford/Dundrum is a mess and really needs looking at.

Apart from that I find the rest of the motorways move well enough if you're sticking to the limit and allowing for the odd bit of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

you miss the point, he's saying that "this is how we do it in Ireland" for the benefit of foreigners who will be totally mystified .

Check out the smilie in the title line.....

100% correct. Just a bit of fun at the expense of the very poor standard of driving on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

SimonLynch wrote: »
    M50 southbound is a mess until after N7 junction, I normally stay in the inside lane, moving out to middle lane to accommodate merging traffic but lately when I come to that junction I get into middle lane to avoid the late jockeying to exit. Northbound around 4-6pm Sandyford/Dundrum is a mess and really needs looking at.

Apart from that I find the rest of the motorways move well enough if you're sticking to the limit and allowing for the odd bit of idiocy.

The problem with the N7 exit on the M50(S) is that once you get onto the N7 the 2 lanes merge into 1 which is the overtaking lane and you have numpties also trying to get into the "fasht lane" from the Naas road. It's absolute havoc during rush hour there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

My point, and I'm sure you picked up on it, is that there are loads of Irish motorists that don't know or observe rules of the road especially on motorways.

Why focus on nonIrish drivers?

Wow....you must be American eh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement