Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landscaping project gone wrong

Options
  • 02-07-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

We are in the process of preparing the soil to lay turf in the back garden. The previous owners had a layer of gravel all over it , with some areas deeper that others , but this layer is mainly gravel and not mixed with soil. So just to clear that we hired a company to do the landscaping, they removed weeds and the gravel( or so I thought!) and put to soil all over it. However, we have now realised that in some areas we have only about a depth of 1 or 1.5 inches of soil and then the layer of gravel shows up . I have been recommended to have at least 5 inches depth to ensure a happy lawn. This means that the grass wont have enough depth for the roots

So what I was wondering if anybody can tell me what is the best option, cheaper and less labour intensive, to solve this .

1. Start all over: mini digger and remove all gravel to good depth and top up with top soil
    2. Leave as it is and add another layer of about 3 or 4 inches

In addition with the heavy rain over the last few days , if we were to start digging now it would be a nightmare as the soil will compact even more

Any advice would me most welcome

Comments

If you have room to add a layer on top then I would add a layer on top. What's at the edge of the lawn? Will this bring it above the level of a path or patio?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewDYI

That is the problem, the area by the path would need to be lowered , as topping up would exceed the level . So I am sure that area needs fixing , but not about the rest ,as the depth level of gravel seems to be uneven throughout, would I need to check it all over to confirm the top soil depth?

I have sent a long email to the guy who did it hoping he will do it for free..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

who ever done it made a pigs ear of it....if its a possibility to add soil then do it but if its going to add another prob elsewhere its best to start again,both at his expense...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

NewDYI wrote: »
    Hi all

We are in the process of preparing the soil to lay turf in the back garden. The previous owners had a layer of gravel all over it , with some areas deeper that others , but this layer is mainly gravel and not mixed with soil. So just to clear that we hired a company to do the landscaping, they removed weeds and the gravel( or so I thought!) and put to soil all over it. However, we have now realised that in some areas we have only about a depth of 1 or 1.5 inches of soil and then the layer of gravel shows up . I have been recommended to have at least 5 inches depth to ensure a happy lawn. This means that the grass wont have enough depth for the roots

So what I was wondering if anybody can tell me what is the best option, cheaper and less labour intensive, to solve this .

1. Start all over: mini digger and remove all gravel to good depth and top up with top soil
    2. Leave as it is and add another layer of about 3 or 4 inches

In addition with the heavy rain over the last few days , if we were to start digging now it would be a nightmare as the soil will compact even more

Any advice would me most welcome
    If you paid someone else to do the job, then it's their responsibility, so contact them and get them to sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can you raise the edging on the path a bit.
    If the soil is level and ready for grass sods to be laid, I would do that, grass is pretty resilient and its only in severe drought that the gravelled bits may dry out a bit more.
    This is assuming you don't need a cricket crease standard lawn: it will be okay if its just for dogs, kids and grandparents.....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Another solution would be to scrape off top 50-100mm (don't worry about mixing gravel with soil and set aside. Next excavate a further 100mm of gravel and also set aside. Next Excavate a further 100mm of soil and set aside.

Fill gravel, then gravel/soil mix and top dress with final layer of soil. Note if the third excavation (soil only) is subsoil/poor quality, mix in plenty of compost for top dressing.

Walk are aplenty/heal in soil or use garden roller, leave to settle for 1-2 weeks, if weeds appear spray area and wait a further 7 days. By this stage the ground should have firmed up, have a good level and weed free.

Before laying roll turf lawn, lightly scratch surface with rake and spread a good layer of general/lawn fertiliser.

The fact you have gravel in ground and mixed with soil should ensure you will a well draining lawn! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewDYI

thank you for your helpful response , a rotavator will help us to do the job...

Advertisement