Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Day 4 and no accidents! Have been gushing over him all evening to tell him how proud we are!

Have to say though, he has yet to have a poop on the loo. He didn't do any at all today and I think it's a mental block thing, because of the toilet training. If we could only get that working, we'd be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

That's great :) funny how you can be so proud of a child for using a toilet :)

My little guy had previously done his 'number 2' on the toilet so it wasn't fully new to him but for the first week he only went around every 3 days. I was a bit worried but he seems to be back to more or less daily now so hopefully it'll sort itself in time for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We kept it relatively simple with our little guy and it worked out great. We put a little potty outside for him and let him run around in the garden without any bottoms on. We just told him what the potty was there for, and that was it. We didn't have him sit on it until something happened. He came running to us with the potty every time he did something and he brought it to the toilet to dump and was excited to get to flush.

Bloody hell you guys make it sound so easy - what am i doing wrong?!
    Day 5 ( or is it 6, ive lost count) and wees are still no problem, but poop has yet to find its way into the toilet. 3 accidents yesterday, all poops. One poop accident today. I actually went and bought some small toys, wrapped them up, laid them out on the bathroom shelf and explained to him that they were for doing poops in the loo. He was definitely more enthusiastic about the whole thing after that, but still he went in his pants. I am starting to despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So proper day 1 was today and I have cabin fever from being indoors all day. I am also wrecked. No idea how many accidents but maybe 5?? And did 3 or 4 pees on loo no poo yet. I put a nappy on for naps. Got him ladder seat....he went hysterical so is using potty.
    I feel like giving up!!!!!!!!! The thoughts of staying at home all day tomorrow :(

• Advertisement

I feel your pain Millem! We are getting out somewhere tomorrow, fully trained or not! Will just need to make sure its somewhere with loo facilities and bring provisions for cleaning him up if he has an accident. I cant take another day at home with two small kids!

I swear I was so tempted to put a nappy on him and even just go to tesco!!!!!!!! I am not feeling great myself :( he just did another pee out in the garden :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Millem wrote: »
    I swear I was so tempted to put a nappy on him and even just go to tesco!!!!!!!! I am not feeling great myself :( he just did another pee out in the garden :(

I know the feeling, I gave up the first time around. One thing that helped my daughter was to see other children using the potty. My friend brought her two wee ones around one day and when my daughter saw them use her potty, I think it was the catalyst to get her going. Is there anyone you could ask around and go on and on about how great and big they are using the potty.

The little girl at his minders who is a week younger than him is toilet trained. He told me a few months ago she was using the potty. Loads of his friends are toilet trained but he doesn't bat an eyelid in fact they have to leave game to pee whereas he keeps playing because in nappy! Tbh I feel rotten that it's probably not the best time for at the mo but I have to keep going. He needs to be toilet trained by sept :( we are on hols for first two weeks in august so only 2 weeks before Montessori.
    May I just say dogs are amazing they get toilet trained so young and in no time ;) I am shocked that they didn't get peed on today!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

The garden doesn't count.

I'm on week 2 and he's doing well. But if he is out playing the the garden he will just wee in the bushes or poo himself, he won't come in. He also doesn't like going for babysitter but much better for me. But in the house he's good and out and about he's good.

• Advertisement

I don't know if he is even getting it :( he doesn't like getting wet. He just comes in takes shoes and socks out and either tells me he needs a tissue or he needs a shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I don't know if he is even getting it :( he doesn't like getting wet. He just comes in takes shoes and socks out and either tells me he needs a tissue or he needs a shower!

He sounds like he's not ready. I wouldn't push it. I know you are on a timeline for September but could you talk to them? It's really not fair on him pushing it if he's not ready. He could end up with issues with constipation etc. A couple of months can make a big difference. I honestly believe they can train in a few days if they are truly ready so I would take a break. Go back to nappies but keep the potty out and maybe encourage him to sit on it while you and your other half are on the toilet. I'd 'check' his nappy really often while he's playing so he's getting his play interrupted as often as he would if he was using the toilet to use that as a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm starting next weekend but my guy is 3 and 4months. We have a 3.5month old so we decided to delay it but he also has a speech delay and I wasn't sure he was ready. He's beginning to tell me wverytime he's doing a poo though and I've been talking about the toilet for ages. The nappy fairy is even going to visit to take his nappies and give him a present. I've a stash of sweeties or wees and a lucky dip of dinkies and other little toys for poos. I also have a cartload of underpants. I'm praying he gets it!! What are the other essentials needed?

He sounds like he's not ready. I wouldn't push it. I know you are on a timeline for September but could you talk to them? It's really not fair on him pushing it if he's not ready. He could end up with issues with constipation etc. A couple of months can make a big difference. I honestly believe they can train in a few days if they are truly ready so I would take a break. Go back to nappies but keep the potty out and maybe encourage him to sit on it while you and your other half are on the toilet. I'd 'check' his nappy really often while he's playing so he's getting his play interrupted as often as he would if he was using the toilet to use that as a deterrent.

I will not push him. Gosh I thought he was ready considering some people would say they had loads more accidents but still persevered? Sure all you need to do is read this thread! I was going to see how tomorrow goes. He has been telling me when he has wet or dirty nappies since December! If not fully toilet trained monte said he can still go but tbh I will keep him with minder. I am not feeling well myself so am probably being over negative. He was delighted when he peed in potty and didn't want to wear nappy to bed. I agree a few months is huge :)

Update on day 2 had 2 accidents this morning (had undies on) .....was ready to give up! Then went on potty by himself and peed straight away (no undies on) :)
    Then put undies on and he had accident :( put another pair of undies on and he walked out to garden pulled his "equipment" out of leg of undies and peed on grass lol :)
    Long morning he is up since 7!!!!!!
    He can't pull down undies by himself should I leave them off? He likes wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Lol at pulling it out of the leg of undies, he's got the right idea anyway! No advice sorry, haven't even started the process myself.

Has anyone started toilet training at the point where your child will not sit on a potty or toilet seat?
    I'm going to try training my 2yrs 10mths boy shortly. He is very clued in to the whole process. Wants his dirty nappies changed straight away and makes a big deal about putting the poo down the toilet and flushing it away. He will not however sit on the potty (unless he is fully clothed) or the toilet (with seat insert).
    I'm going to give it a go anyway. He has a two day place in preschool in Sept which he would adore and I'm due No 2 in October so Id really benefit from it. I don't mind him being in nappies at all so not the end of the world if it doesn't happen but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Went to zoo today, half hour drive there and back and 1.5 hrs walking round it. Brought him to the loo there twice. Was fully expecting a struggle but he was happy enough to do his wee. He got an awful fright at the hand drier though !
    Hasnt poo'd yet today but I have laid off on mentioning anything about poo to him aswell, to see if maybe less focus on it will actually help him get it out on the loo. Think maybe I have been making too big a deal out of it for him. Lets see....
    Anyway, was great to get out and about finally!

My guy was looking a bit shifty in hall and wouldn't let anyone in so I shoved his potty out. (Thought he was going to do a number 2!) anyway he wouldn't even let dogs into hall. He did a wee in potty then poured it in loo :):)

Cunning that is great about your guy :) I messaged monte teacher and she said if toilet training isn't working don't worry and we can try again after he settles in monte. Tbh I was going to delay him starting if not trained.

Livingsane my guy won't sit on potty or loo. We went to tesco and bought two special trucks which were for him as he was a big boy and was going to use potty. He sits on potty now but not toilet!

Well if he would only do the number 2 on the loo, we'd be flyin it!
    ...Am on poop watch now the past hour. I know hes waiting to do one as soon as he's on his own! He literally only needs a half a minute window to do it, lol.
    Lets see if he can slip one past us again this evening....

Well if he would only do the number 2 on the loo, we'd be flyin it!
    ...Am on poop watch now the past hour. I know hes waiting to do one as soon as he's on his own! He literally only needs a half a minute window to do it, lol.
    Lets see if he can slip one past us again this evening....

My guy just did number 2 in potty :) 1 potty is now in hall. He wants privacy ;)

Cunning can't remember are you using potty....could you put it somewhere to give him privacy?
    My guy will only 2 number 2s by himself. He used to go into his playhouse close all shutters and doors and do it in nappy :)

• Advertisement

My guy just did number 2 in potty :) 1 potty is now in hall. He wants privacy ;)

Cunning can't remember are you using potty....could you put it somewhere to give him privacy?
    My guy will only 2 number 2s by himself. He used to go into his playhouse close all shutters and doors and do it in nappy :)

Yep, we have a potty, but as soon as I take it out for him and suggest he use it, he tells me flat out NO, he doesn't want to know about it. So he has been doing his wees on the toilet with one of those toddler seat things.
    But the hubby and I were just discussing that we might leave the potty around anyway and just tell him its there if he wants to use it. No harm.

Yep, we have a potty, but as soon as I take it out for him and suggest he use it, he tells me flat out NO, he doesn't want to know about it. So he has been doing his wees on the toilet with one of those toddler seat things.
    But the hubby and I were just discussing that we might leave the potty around anyway and just tell him its there if he wants to use it. No harm.

I think my guy is trying to figure out whether to sit or stand for pees! Went out to hall stood up and did a massive pee beside potty (some went into potty).
    Glad day 2 is over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

This potty training work sounds hard!! I'm at a nice set up with my daughter and I'm dreading potty training next month. Are the children confused when the pull up goes on for sleeps?

Tickingclock I put on those babydry pants and told him they were "bedtime pants" he turned around to me and said "no they're not pants that's a nappy"!!!!!!!!

I am kind of following the 3 day method but not a night/naps. They suggest no nappies and u set alarm and wake them. I am too wrecked to even try that :(
    Can't wait for tomorrow I am going out by myself and OH is under strict potty instructions!!!! I have warned him not to put a nappy on him! He has worked yesterday and today so has missed all the stress of training.
    I don't know whether to put undies on him or off?????

We are using undies for our lad, but my sister let hers go bare. Its up to you i suppose.

Put the potty in a private corner for him this morning and he started giving out no no! Then he grabbed it and put it back out in the bathroom! I think he sees it as baby-ish.
    So we will keep using the toddler loo seat.

Kept our eyes on him all day yesterday waiting for a poop, so he never did one!

One week in now - God grant me patience!

o far today 2 pees in potty by himself and 1 down the drain in the garden LOL :)

He has been bare all day up until now OH put undies in him. I am predicting accidents hopefully I am wrong ;)

While I was out (oh minding) he peed and pooed in pants :(
    Since me coming back there has been 2 pees in potty and one in garden.

Was talking to friend who is toilet training 2 weeks ahead of me and using pull ups. Basically the boy wears them all day but gets put on potty when parents thinks he needs to go. Dry floors all round :)
    Seems like a much easier and not as messy solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

While I was out (oh minding) he peed and pooed in pants :(
    Since me coming back there has been 2 pees in potty and one in garden.

Was talking to friend who is toilet training 2 weeks ahead of me and using pull ups. Basically the boy wears them all day but gets put on potty when parents thinks he needs to go. Dry floors all round :)
    Seems like a much easier and not as messy solution?

Sounds a bot confusing to the child?

(Coming from the person who hadn't even started training yet!)

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sounds a bot confusing to the child?

(Coming from the person who hadn't even started training yet!)

Yeah and tbh the cost of them too !!!
    My guy had dry nappy for nap and no accidents this afternoon.

I am putting him on potty every hour. I think it is going to take weeks to get up to wearing undies, pulling up/down pants, wiping, using toilet!

• Advertisement

Pooped himself again today :( met me at thekitchen door with a big grin. I actually got thick and told him mammy and daddy are not cleaning any more poop out of underpants, so he has to do it on the loo in future. Not the way to go, I know. I felt bad afterwards. Its just stressful now, that we are so close but so far!
    One week left before we have to hand him back to daycare again and if hes only trained for doing wee on the loo, I think they will want him back in nappies!
    Hoping for a miracle here!

Advertisement