Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Pooped himself again today :( met me at thekitchen door with a big grin. I actually got thick and told him mammy and daddy are not cleaning any more poop out of underpants, so he has to do it on the loo in future. Not the way to go, I know. I felt bad afterwards. Its just stressful now, that we are so close but so far!
    One week left before we have to hand him back to daycare again and if hes only trained for doing wee on the loo, I think they will want him back in nappies!
    Hoping for a miracle here!

Cunning I have no words of wisdom for you as you are ahead of me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

How do you handle the wiping? Even if my son gets the toilet bit, I know he will never manage the wiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm hoping to start training next week, I've two weeks off work. We went to the shops yesterday and made a big show of buying big boy pants for him and we've been talking about getting stars for doing a pee in the potty. He sits on it happily enough.....dressed! Next week we'll see if he's ready to part with clothes :) He knows what a potty is for but I'm not sure he's ready yet; but I'm gonna give it a go. He accidentally peed on the bedroom floor yesterday while he was running around naked waiting for a bath & he looked so worried, bless him! I used it as an opportunity to tell him next time it goes in the potty but he didn't look convinced! :p

yellow hen wrote: »
    How do you handle the wiping? Even if my son gets the toilet bit, I know he will never manage the wiping.
    Haven't even tried yet! Tbh we are always so overjoyed when he does something in potty we are usually to busy singing and dancing around the hall and kitchen lol lol

He used to "wipe" himself when getting nappy changed. Now he wouldn't do it properly!

Also I read somewhere you should get them to wash hands after every trip to potty. Again I didn't do this!
    And put potty in bathroom again didn't do this!!

I tried to find a reward chart today but no joy. Has anyone seen them around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Millem wrote: »
    Haven't even tried yet! Tbh we are always so overjoyed when he does something in potty we are usually to busy singing and dancing around the hall and kitchen lol lol

He used to "wipe" himself when getting nappy changed. Now he wouldn't do it properly!

Also I read somewhere you should get them to wash hands after every trip to potty. Again I didn't do this!
    And put potty in bathroom again didn't do this!!

I tried to find a reward chart today but no joy. Has anyone seen them around?

I didn't even try getting my guy to wipe himself yet. I reckon that, and pulling the pants up and down, is another days learning!
    I just made the reward chart on Microsoft Word, put in a table/grid, with his name and a few cheesy toilet cartoon drawings at the top. There was 10 squares acros of the grid. Every time he went to the toilet he got a star and when a row got filled up he got to pick a dinky car from a pack of 10 I got in Tesco. Worked a charm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We have officially started our training! We tried a few times recently but we kept having to put it off because of d+v bugs. The last few mornings he has been asking to get his nappy off and wee in the toilet first thing so I thought he might be gearing up for it. Today he told me he needed to poo and we just made it to the toilet in time. He was chuffed with himself! He's wee'd through 5 underpants since though :rolleyes: And he's supposed to be visiting nana later so it'll probably take some persuasion to convince my OH to take him without a nappy.

Day 4 nearly over and no accidents hurray :):):) not even a sneaky pee in garden ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Lads youre doing great, fair play!

We are still stuck on pooping the pants. Another one first thing this morning. Its Daddys turn to clean the next one, lol.

I dont know what to do about it now, I have read horror stories of kids being stuck on the poop bit for weeks and even months- but people keep telling me ''he will get there'' so will just keep going and hope for the best!

Millem that's brilliant! OH took the kids to the inlaws and despite bringing my little boy to the toilet every 20 minutes, he STILL peed all over my mother in laws floor twice :rolleyes: Came home and asked me to take him to the toilet straight away and did a big wee! Typical, eh?

Cunning I told my little fella that when he did a poo in the toilet, he would get a present of a new toy car so I think that gave him the incentive.

Mrspostman I am thrilled! Tbh I was just learning as I went along the other days! Today I wrote down times of each pee and put on his (very rough and ready) rewards chart.
    The first two days I didn't really know what I was doing...waiting for him to go on potty! I think getting him to go on potty worked really well because today he went on it himself.
    Tomorrow we introduce undies so hoping all will be ok :)

• Advertisement

Cunning I told my little fella that when he did a poo in the toilet, he would get a present of a new toy car so I think that gave him the incentive.

Yeah I have 5 toy pressies wrapped and sitting on thd bathroom shelf and he knows theyre for pooping in the loo, but still no go...

What does everyone else do for nap time? My little boy still goes for around 90 minutes. I hate the thought of putting a nappy on him but he did a big wee while he was down yesterday, despite going to the toilet right before.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Hi all, good to see the toilet training going well. I work in childcare here and wouldn't worry at all about wiping, that's more a natural thing that'll develop closer to 4years+. Creche staff should have no problem wiping their bums for them after poo when they return to creche, what are handy for creche are the flushable wet wipes from Aldi/Tesco. Also would def wash hands after using potty /toilet, instills the habit young and hand hygiene is important around other kids, before eating etc.

Naptime what I do with kids I mind, I pop the nappy on over the knickers (so they have cotton material touching them instead of feeling the nappy) but under trousers, don't close them and don't put them lying down to put it on so it's different than changing or putting on a nappy and not being closed means it's not tight on their hips. I also call them "emergency pants" instead of nappy. But some kids won't be dry at sleep time for a while so certainly wouldn't worry about night time but can be good to try and train them at nap time in preparation for night time. But don't worry if it doesn't work out for a while at sleeps.

Thanks raine I tried it and it worked a treat! Apart from nap time, the only accident we've had so far today is a teeny little dribble that happened on the way to the toilet. Massive difference to yesterday when he went through about 10 underpants and peed into his dinner :pac:

Day one disaster that got abandoned by lunchtime - after my couch got covered in pee and poo, and I went through about 12 pairs of pants/trousers, I gave up & put a nappy on. I don't think he's aware of his bladder getting full - he was doing small wees every 20/30 mins, just after he got off the potty or loo, usually. Think I'll leave it a week or two & try again

Doing great here.....no accidents since slip on Saturday. Dry nappies at night and nap :)
    Woke up this morning at 6.15 with him shouting "mammy I need my potty" ;););)

Going on hols next week, no idea how I am going to get him to pee in airport/aeroplane toilet........

nikpmup wrote: »
    Day one disaster that got abandoned by lunchtime - after my couch got covered in pee and poo, and I went through about 12 pairs of pants/trousers, I gave up & put a nappy on. I don't think he's aware of his bladder getting full - he was doing small wees every 20/30 mins, just after he got off the potty or loo, usually. Think I'll leave it a week or two & try again

Nikpmup, this was exactly what we were like day 1, went through 13 underpants and really thought about giving up that night, but decided to push on and the next day something clicked and we had one accident! So it might be worth persevering!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Glad to hear it's work in progress for most of you. I'm buying lots of small treats like bubbles and water baloons as treats for when she uses the potty. I'm very optimistic!!!

If your little ones have any value on stickers they can be quite a good motivator without having to have a load of toys in the house. When starting training I give a sticker for everytime they sit on toilet /potty, when they get the hang of sitting on it, I move to only giving a sticker for when they do a wee or 2 for a poo, then move to only giving for a poo, then move to just giving at the end of the day, lol, I'll wean them off them eventually, all in all could be dolling them out for 2/3 months or more. It's a process and kids are ready at different stages. Generally if the child is 3years or older I would encourage parents to persevere.

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    Nikpmup, this was exactly what we were like day 1, went through 13 underpants and really thought about giving up that night, but decided to push on and the next day something clicked and we had one accident! So it might be worth persevering!

I just felt that he didn't really have any control over his bladder. It wasn't big puddles, more like dribbles every 20mins. I will try again, but I might give it a week or two, big up the whole concept for a while. Tbh, I'm only trying this week because I'm off work, so it's more that the time suits me rather than him! He's only 2 and a half and he's always been a couple of months behind in his development so I know he'll do it when he's ready.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I just felt that he didn't really have any control over his bladder. It wasn't big puddles, more like dribbles every 20mins. I will try again, but I might give it a week or two, big up the whole concept for a while. Tbh, I'm only trying this week because I'm off work, so it's more that the time suits me rather than him! He's only 2 and a half and he's always been a couple of months behind in his development so I know he'll do it when he's ready.

Yep that's the kind of accidents we were having, just wet pants but not a lot. Then I realized that he wasn't letting it all out when we were on the toilet. Started distracting him with some stories and books on the toilet so he'd leave it all out, and the accidents stopped nearly straight away.
    Although my little fella is 3, so he's that little bit older too.

We had 1 accident yesterday and just 2 teeny dribbles en-route today. We went out for an hour this morning because I was getting cabin fever and I was full sure he'd have an accident but he didn't.

I find that it usually takes 2 or 3 'goes' to empty his bladder, so when he wees a bit, I say 'again' or 'more' and he keeps trying until it's all gone.

Mrspostpan I am the same....I get him to keep trying. I am putting a nappy on a night and a baby dry pant on for nap and he is staying dry :) I have put times on his chart so have an idea how often he needs to go. It's around every 2-3hours.

Still pooping pants here. Hes 2 yrs 8 months - surely hes ready? The childminder has gotten him to poop on a potty several times in the past. Not sure what we're doin wrong here...will talk to her if hes still doing it next monday, when hes due back in daycare. She has hols now, otherwise I'd be ringing her!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Still pooping pants here. Hes 2 yrs 8 months - surely hes ready? The childminder has gotten him to poop on a potty several times in the past. Not sure what we're doin wrong here...will talk to her if hes still doing it next monday, when hes due back in daycare. She has hols now, otherwise I'd be ringing her!

As boys go, that's young enough. I'm only starting this weekend at 3yrs 5 months but we're a bit behind. I'm dreading the poo in pants :(

Finally a semi breakthrough! Caught him doing one and got him onto the loo to do the rest. He did so without complaining - cant believe it. Made a big deal about it and gave him one of the presents I had wrapped. Hes chuffed with the pressie and I hope it will give him incentive for the next time! Lets see!

Finally a semi breakthrough! Caught him doing one and got him onto the loo to do the rest. He did so without complaining - cant believe it. Made a big deal about it and gave him one of the presents I had wrapped. Hes chuffed with the pressie and I hope it will give him incentive for the next time! Lets see!
    Cunning that's brill! My guy got up by himself this morning, took his nappy off and did a pee in the potty all by himself which myself and OH were asleep :):)
    The downside was he woke us up at 6am to tell us!!!
    I am moving him to the toilet today in prep for hols next week. Fingers crossed! I put him on last night and it was a bit messy (peeing sitting down)!

Millem wrote: »
    Cunning that's brill! My guy got up by himself this morning, took his nappy off and did a pee in the potty all by himself which myself and OH were asleep :):)
    The downside was he woke us up at 6am to tell us!!!
    I am moving him to the toilet today in prep for hols next week. Fingers crossed! I put him on last night and it was a bit messy (peeing sitting down)!

Congrats on the progress, it's great. When getting him sitting on the toilet make sure his trousers and pants are down past his knees and he opens his legs in a v shape and get him to start becoming aware of his Willy pointing down, alot of boys at the beginning need to hold it down into the toilet /potty. Standing is worse when it takes off and they can't control it, pee everywhere lol!!

• Advertisement

Yeah I've found that our little fella tends to get excited and pee out over the potty or toilet. We had a few tiny accidents yesterday (just dribbles) and I'm sure it has something to do with my OH being at home. He just plonks my little boy on the toilet and doesn't understand that he might have to distract or cajole him into going. OH gets frustrated then when he doesn't go!

In fairness, he's usually great but it seems potty training is his stumbling block. He wanted to put a training pants on our boy yesterday evening to take him to nana's and when I said no, he said he wouldn't go at all because he didn't want to be spending the whole time there in the toilet with our son :rolleyes: Bearing in mind that I have already brought him out nappyless a few times with no problems and am traipsing up and down the stairs a million times a day with him when OH is at work. Aaaargh!

Advertisement