Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Day 1 here and 3 accidents so far with one successful pee in potty. I've been putting him on toilet every 30mins or so but how long do you leave them on each time? I kind of feel that he only did the successful wee in potty because he was sitting on it so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

yellow hen wrote: »
    Day 1 here and 3 accidents so far with one successful pee in potty. I've been putting him on toilet every 30mins or so but how long do you leave them on each time? I kind of feel that he only did the successful wee in potty because he was sitting on it so long.

Yellow hen my mum would say to me leave them sitting on it as let them get comfortable with it. I didn't though as I didn't want him thinking he has to sit on it!

I don't know has anyone found it tricky with boys and their equipment on potties and seat! I find my has to sit really far back or else pee can splash out. Anyway today he decided to sit on it backwards! Problems solved :):)

My guy is doing brill, he had an odd accident yesterday playing a game with friend outside :( he was so upset.

I am bringing a toilet seat to the airport with me next week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yellow hen I find that drawing attention to his nether regions usually makes him think about it and he wees fairly fast then. Sounds a bit mad but it works for us, I point and say 'oh look, wee wee' and when he looks down, he wees!

We're having problems with the poo for the last few days. I think he's afraid to poo on the potty/toilet so when he needs to go, he won't sit on the potty so he ends up holding his wee too. Watching elmos potty time on loop again to help :rolleyes:

We had no pops today but he pooed late last night so I didn't expect anything. We had alot of wee accidents. Usually just after we got off the potty. He came and told us every time that he made a mess. By this evening he was tired and was getting upset when he was weeing on the floor. He could also have been picking up on our frustration which makes me feel bad. He's 3 and 4 months and im still not sure he's ready :(

Definitely give it a try again tomorrow and see. We had loads of accidents the first day and then almost none the second day.

• Advertisement

I'll definitely keep going. Do they actually know when their wee is coming or is it something they have to learn? It was almost catching him by surprise at times.

No the first few times we did no nappy time, my small fella didn't know when it was coming, he would get a surprise and say wee-wee once he had started. I just kept asking him over and over if he needed to wee, hoping he would associate and recognise the feeling of needing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Our lad is still not pooping on the toilet :(

Thought we had it cracked there the other day, when I caught him mid-poop and transferred him to the loo where he finished, but it made no difference next time round!

He's back to the childminder tomorrow. We have spent literally the entire 2 weeks hols on toilet training, so not much more we can do now. Will have to see if she wants to wade in and help us, or whether she will ask that we put him back in nappies...She is a great childminder though - she's an old fox on the road - has been doing it for 19 yrs now, so I hope she will be able to help us out! Have packed 3 sets of extra undies anyway.

The thing is I know he has pooped on the potty/toilet for her several times in the past, so am hoping he will do it there without issue. If he did all his pee/poop on the toilet in daycare, I wouldn't care if I still had to clean soiled underwear at home!

Oh cunning, that is so stressful! We've only done two days and I'm exhausted! If I wasn't bfeeding, I'd be sat with a large g&t right now. Today was day 2 and the first half of the day was a disaster...seriously, he was like mannequin pis... Everywhere I turned there was a puddle. I stopped putting him on the potty every 20/30 mins as it actually felt like he was never off it. Instead I started watching his body language and guessing when it was coming and that worked better. Before bedtime, he actually told me that he needed the toilet. We're not even nearly out of the woods yet so praying tomorrow is better

Yellow hen I was so wrecked the first two days. I think it's the stress aswell of trying to toilet train and cleaning! Cunning you never know maybe your guy will have no problems in minder's with poo. I am lucky My guy is not back until 1st September. we are going to airport tomorrow!!!!! No idea how it will pan out with the toilet situation!!

• Advertisement

We are having poo problems too. He still hasn't gone on the toilet sonce the first time. My OH took him to smyths yesterday and let him pick out a toy that he will get when he poos on the toilet/potty again.

Yesterday evening my little boy said he needed to poo but refused to sit on the toilet or potty. So I brought him over to show him the toy he would get when he went and he was delighted, smiling and talking to it and as he stood there, he started to poo in his underpants and laugh at the same time :rolleyes: And when he was finished he asked to play with the toy because he had done his poo :rolleyes: It was kinda funny but seriously, it needs to stop!

Other than that, we have been doing really well with the wee and we've taken him out a few times now into town and visiting etc with no problems. It's just that damned poo!

Cunning hopefully your little fella will get on ok at the cms! I'm sure she will be well used to dealing with toilet training and might even have a few tricks up her sleeve to get him to go.

We've only had one poo so far and my husband caught him in the act and put him on potty so no idea yet how they'll go. Day 3 now and we've had 2 accidents. Should we be expecting no wee accidents by now. I really don't think he gets it yet. We've just had so few accidents because I'm watching him like a hawk but that's not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

We're into week 3 now I think. My girl won't tell me when she needs to go so it's a matter of guessing body language too. If the potty is right there and she's no pants on she'll just go herself and not have accidents. When she's wearing pants, she doesn't go right away and has at least one accident a day. It's not stressful as I've resigned to it taking ages more but I've no idea when I'll be able to go out without pull-ups on. I feel she's half way there in terms of being ready. We're too far gone to go back to nappies yet she's not fully grasped it. I really feel if I'd waited a few months more she would have gotten the hang of it quicker. I wanted to do it while off for summer though. Any advice?

No luck with pooping for the childminder. I got handed a bag containing a pair of soiled underpants today :(

She said we will give it another few days and see if it improves, otherwise we will have to 'figure something out' which probably means she will suggest he go back to nappies, and I wouldn't blame her - she has 4 kids to mind.

It's so annoying because other than that, he's been dry all day - no problem with wees.

Oh cunning that's frustrating as you're so close. I feel so disheartened tonight and would people's opinion. My son is 3 and almost 5months but he's always been behind his peers and he has a severe speech and language delay as well as some sensory issues. We've just finished day 3 of toilet training and although earlier today was ok, he had 3 accidents this eve alone. I feel like the successful wees are because I'm clock watching and popping him on the toilet when I reckon he's due or when his body language tells me he is. I think he knows he's doing it as he pauses to watch it and then often tells me there's a mess on the floor (although if the wee was absorbed by his clothes before it hit the floor, he might say nothing). After 3 days, do we keep going and hope it improves or park it and try another time? I know it's silly and it shouldn't matter but I feel embarrassed by his age and the fact that he still isn't toilet trained.
    A very depressed yellow hen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Oh cunning that's frustrating as you're so close. I feel so disheartened tonight and would people's opinion. My son is 3 and almost 5months but he's always been behind his peers and he has a severe speech and language delay as well as some sensory issues. We've just finished day 3 of toilet training and although earlier today was ok, he had 3 accidents this eve alone. I feel like the successful wees are because I'm clock watching and popping him on the toilet when I reckon he's due or when his body language tells me he is. I think he knows he's doing it as he pauses to watch it and then often tells me there's a mess on the floor (although if the wee was absorbed by his clothes before it hit the floor, he might say nothing). After 3 days, do we keep going and hope it improves or park it and try another time? I know it's silly and it shouldn't matter but I feel embarrassed by his age and the fact that he still isn't toilet trained.
    A very depressed yellow hen

Hi yellow hen, sorry to hear about your woes. If I were you I would keep up the good work for another 2 days. If he hasn't got it then take a break and try again in a few weeks time.

Do not be embarrassed about his age! If he has a slight delay perhaps things will just take a little time. 3y5m... It's hardly like he's in college :). Joking aside... My boy was still in a cot bed at that age! More due to my laziness and not assembling the bed we bought. But I wasn't sure if he was ready. He's 3y8m now and he's only been in a bed a couple months and doing great. What I'm trying to say is that all kids develop in their own time (as I'm sure you know). And it should not be an embarrassment or bad reflection on you in any way.

My guy was toilet trained at 2.5 but he had awful trouble with his poo for a good year after. It's only recently he's started letting loose. He would hold it until it was nearly painful coming out. I think I trained him too early... But had to due to him starting monte.

My wee girl pretty much trained herself at 2y2m and is flying it. So she's a whole nother story again.

Keep trying for 2 more days. Don't stress. And just set this time limit for yourself and himself so you don't feel the pressure. Just say... "Ok it's not happening now, it's no worries, we will try again next month".

Best of luck!

kandr10 wrote: »
    We're into week 3 now I think. My girl won't tell me when she needs to go so it's a matter of guessing body language too. If the potty is right there and she's no pants on she'll just go herself and not have accidents. When she's wearing pants, she doesn't go right away and has at least one accident a day. It's not stressful as I've resigned to it taking ages more but I've no idea when I'll be able to go out without pull-ups on. I feel she's half way there in terms of being ready. We're too far gone to go back to nappies yet she's not fully grasped it. I really feel if I'd waited a few months more she would have gotten the hang of it quicker. I wanted to do it while off for summer though. Any advice?

Hi Kandr! Haven't seen you here in a while :). So your Little one will go no problem with no pants on but won't go right away when she is wearing pants. When you say pants, do you mean a pull up or cotton knickers or either or? If she were to have an accident in her knickers would she get distressed or does it not bother her? If this is happening in a pull up she's probably not realising she's even wet because of the absorption. Also, when you say accident... Is it a proper wee wee everywhere like a puddle? Or is it just a little bit of urine on her pants? My boy often let a trickle out before he'd actually go to the toilet when I trained him and half the time he's still never ask to go and I'd just have to put him on. But he didn't have a complete accident if you know what I mean.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi Kandr! Haven't seen you here in a while :). So your Little one will go no problem with no pants on but won't go right away when she is wearing pants. When you say pants, do you mean a pull up or cotton knickers or either or? If she were to have an accident in her knickers would she get distressed or does it not bother her? If this is happening in a pull up she's probably not realising she's even wet because of the absorption. Also, when you say accident... Is it a proper wee wee everywhere like a puddle? Or is it just a little bit of urine on her pants? My boy often let a trickle out before he'd actually go to the toilet when I trained him and half the time he's still never ask to go and I'd just have to put him on. But he didn't have a complete accident if you know what I mean.

Hi Sligo! I'm back :)
    The accidents would be in regular underwear or pull-ups and she does get distressed alright, with both. She's able to say 'oh no it's just an accident' so she knows she shouldn't. I ask her what do you do when you need a wee or poo and she says 'go to the potty and pull down my knickers'. shes doing really well in that she'll go to the potty on her own for wee and poo and have at least one or two successes everyday but if she's not going to tell me when she needs it, she'll just keep having accidents while we're out.
    Is there any way to encourage her to tell me or should I just ride it out as I have been?
    For those of you with success stories, did you train for naps too?

kandr10 wrote: »
    Hi Sligo! I'm back :)
    The accidents would be in regular underwear or pull-ups and she does get distressed alright, with both. She's able to say 'oh no it's just an accident' so she knows she shouldn't. I ask her what do you do when you need a wee or poo and she says 'go to the potty and pull down my knickers'. shes doing really well in that she'll go to the potty on her own for wee and poo and have at least one or two successes everyday but if she's not going to tell me when she needs it, she'll just keep having accidents while we're out.
    Is there any way to encourage her to tell me or should I just ride it out as I have been?
    For those of you with success stories, did you train for naps too?

Welcome back! :). I think it's good she gets distressed when she has an accident (not that it's good she's distressed of you know what I mean...) but it shows she understands the concept and doesn't like being wet. L does tell us when she needs to go but if we are going out I will make sure she goes immediately before we leave. And if we are out for a prolonged period I will take her to the toilet 2 hours after she has been and she will either go or she will refuse. L is dry all through naps and at night. Our current problem is that she is waking once or twice during the night asking to go... So we have been having broken sleep since she's been trained. Our guy who is 14 months older than L still wears a nappy during naps and at night. Yesterday morning his 6+ nappy was wet through! And he never had accidents. I'm not in any rush to night train him tho.... I wasn't in a rush to night train L either (she just did it herself... Independent little Madam :).)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Welcome back! :). I think it's good she gets distressed when she has an accident (not that it's good she's distressed of you know what I mean...) but it shows she understands the concept and doesn't like being wet. L does tell us when she needs to go but if we are going out I will make sure she goes immediately before we leave. And if we are out for a prolonged period I will take her to the toilet 2 hours after she has been and she will either go or she will refuse. L is dry all through naps and at night. Our current problem is that she is waking once or twice during the night asking to go... So we have been having broken sleep since she's been trained. Our guy who is 14 months older than L still wears a nappy during naps and at night. Yesterday morning his 6+ nappy was wet through! And he never had accidents. I'm not in any rush to night train him tho.... I wasn't in a rush to night train L either (she just did it herself... Independent little Madam :).)

Ok that's good to know thanks! I have been fairly relaxed about taking her to toilet when out do if I'm a bit more vigilant hopefully this will help. Its funny, I don't know what I was expecting of her really with toilet training. The Internet would have you thinking 3 days does it, my sil said 2 weeks, my mil keeps asking well is she trained yet and when I say no she says oh that's normal. Why is she asking then ???!

• Advertisement

Kandr10 my guy is the same......no accidents when half nude and sits on the potty when he needs to. He doesn't wet nappies or pull ups day or night but is getting up at 6am to use the potty ;)

When he wears clothes he can have accidents when he is too busy playing. It has happened twice this week. Also I have notice teeny dribbles in his undies before he sits on potty.

I have no clue what I am going to do today with airport and flight! Brought potty yesterday to MIL but he wouldn't go on it. I don't think he will use toilet seat in airport. Defo won't sit on loo. Am I insane thinking of bringing potty?

Millem wrote: »
    Kandr10 my guy is the same......no accidents when half nude and sits on the potty when he needs to. He doesn't wet nappies or pull ups day or night but is getting up at 6am to use the potty ;)

When he wears clothes he can have accidents when he is too busy playing. It has happened twice this week. Also I have notice teeny dribbles in his undies before he sits on potty.

I have no clue what I am going to do today with airport and flight! Brought potty yesterday to MIL but he wouldn't go on it. I don't think he will use toilet seat in airport. Defo won't sit on loo. Am I insane thinking of bringing potty?

Could you bring the toilet top seat instead? If he'll only sit on potty bring it. Do whatever makes life easier. And enjoy your holiday!

Brought potty! Have it in a plastic bag off buggy. He did a big wee in it there in loos. Have a pull up on him as a precaution but it's dry :) he insisted on putting his undies over pull up LOL.

Holy Jebus, he finally pooped on the loo - for the childminder of course, but still!!

...and do you know what seems to be the issue? He needs complete and total privacy! Now, I had already tried leaving him on the loo on his own several times before, but when he called for me, I would naturally go back in to him.
    ...Turns out, he was probably calling to make sure I was out of earshot before he did anything and I messed things up by answering him every time!

The childminder had him on the loo today and he called a few times and she answered him from the kitchen. Then she said she would try pretending she was gone outside, so he called again and she didn't answer...then she heard him pushing and voila!

..I can't believe I never thought of this! At least I hope this is the solution! Word to the wise for you all!

Oh and Yellow Hen, our lad still never tells us either, when he needs to go - we are still initiating the toilet trips ourselves. I don't see that as a big issue at all though, so don't be disheartened - I am sure they will get around to that aswell in time.

Yeeeeh cunning, that's great news and such an easy fix!!

Well we had a dramatic change here today. We had 3 accidents, one where he tried to tell me and i didn't twig it in time, second because the builder started drilling and I think frightened the life out of him and the last because we had a visitor and I think he was distracted. Otherwise we had 7 successful toilet trips including one poo. And for most of those he told me he had to go. I'm almost delirious writing this.

We made it and used potty 4 times (twice in dub airport, once on aeroplane and once when we landed in airport). Ended up getting rid of pull up as bone dry and it was very warm on plane!

Millem wrote: »
    We made it and used potty 4 times (twice in dub airport, once on aeroplane and once when we landed in airport). Ended up getting rid of pull up as bone dry and it was very warm on plane!

Well done Mille junior! Relax and enjoy your holiday now. The bargain alerts thread will be very quiet without you :)

Hurray! Success all round so!
    We got another poop on the loo today, and this time it was at home, not at childminders! Thats 2 days in a row, cant believe it!

I left the room for 5 mins earlier to put baby to bed and came back to one in the pants :(

• Advertisement

I left the room for 5 mins earlier to put baby to bed and came back to one in the pants :(

Ah yes, the ninja poop - You could be watching them all day and as soon as they have a window where you're not in the room, out it comes! we've been dealing with them for 2 weeks, as you might see in my previous posts - but keep going, it is getting better for us, so there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Advertisement