Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Still witholding poo here so had to resort to a dose of duphlac before bed. Hoping to have one in the nappy during the night and start fresh tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My lad actually told his daddy yesterday eve that he needed to pee - first time he has ever indicated it himself :) Granted he had just been put in bed so may have been a bedtime stalling tactic, but he did pee on the loo when his daddy brought him out (he had pullups on but seeing as he asked, daddy followed through).
    So we are improving at a great pace here finally. Will be 3 weeks in training on saturday.

Still no poo here :( It's been 4 days now and he never goes more than 1-2 days without going. He's had 2 doses of duphlac and plenty of water, fruit and fibre-y foods. He's above sat on the toilet now since 4 watching TV on my tablet but still nothing stirring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Still no poo here :( It's been 4 days now and he never goes more than 1-2 days without going. He's had 2 doses of duphlac and plenty of water, fruit and fibre-y foods. He's above sat on the toilet now since 4 watching TV on my tablet but still nothing stirring :(

My little guy used to get so bunged up with poo during toilet training :(. It's awful. :(

Did he get there in the end, Mrs Postman? I find that if i run my lad around the house for a while, playing chasing or similar, he will need to poop shortly after. It must get the system going or something. You could maybe try that if you havnt already.

• Advertisement

No still no poo :( He had another dose of duphlac this evening and if there's nothing happening by tomorrow afternoon the gp has told me to give the suppository, which I don't want to do because I'm afraid it'll traumatise him more :(

I never thought I'd say this but I'd actually prefer if he was going in his pants, it'd be awful but at least he'd be going!

No still no poo :( He had another dose of duphlac this evening and if there's nothing happening by tomorrow afternoon the gp has told me to give the suppository, which I don't want to do because I'm afraid it'll traumatise him more :(

I never thought I'd say this but I'd actually prefer if he was going in his pants, it'd be awful but at least he'd be going!

Does he likes pears? Give him a couple pears and it will get him going. That and a good run around outside like cunning said. My lad would always go in the afternoon if he had a pear in the morning and after a good run outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Pears are a winner here too. I had to give the baby a suppository a few weeks ago and it cleared get out after. I find duphalac pretty rubbish. Hope he goes soon.

We went in our pants again today. He went out to play in the garden for 5 mins and came in with a feckin golf ball sticking out of his bum :(

He has poo'd on the loo 4 days in a row now!! Could it be that we finally are coming to the end of toilet training? I hope so - it will be 3 weeks tomorrow!

He has poo'd on the loo 4 days in a row now!! Could it be that we finally are coming to the end of toilet training? I hope so - it will be 3 weeks tomorrow!

We had the worst day ever today. He's clearly decided he no longer likes the loo and his pants are just fine. We had NINE accidents. What did I do wrong? :(

• Advertisement

Hallepoojah! My little fella FINALLY went, just before I resorted to the suppository. We had to put a pull up on him to get him to go. It was literally on him for 10 minutes and then straight off again after the poo but it seems to have set him back, he had 2 accidents where he didn't say he needed to go and was reluctant to be put on the potty/toilet at all :( It's so frustrating! Picked up a sticker reward chart in tesco so we'll be starting that tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We are on hols and have had no accidents! I literally have to bring potty everywhere! Once I forgot it and he said he needed to go potty, brought him to loo, he sat on it but his equipment wasn't down pee went everywhere :(
    He just tells us when he needs to go! Any tips to transition to the toilet would be great!
    Also his nappies at night and nap are dry, when should I stop putting them on him?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

So we're doing fine with the toilet training and using the toilet rather than a potty. My next 'stage' is getting him to use it by himself-as in climbing up and making sure his willy is pointing down! Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether it's easier with boys to teach them to sit or stand for a wee? He'll do either with help but with Montessori starting in sept he'll need to be able on his own!

sillysocks wrote: »
    So we're doing fine with the toilet training and using the toilet rather than a potty. My next 'stage' is getting him to use it by himself-as in climbing up and making sure his willy is pointing down! Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether it's easier with boys to teach them to sit or stand for a wee? He'll do either with help but with Montessori starting in sept he'll need to be able on his own!

I definitely think aim comes with time. My little guy sits and usually it just automatically goes in the toilet. He can stand and do it but dad or myself usually need to hold it for him or it would go over his pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Millem wrote: »
    We are on hols and have had no accidents! I literally have to bring potty everywhere! Once I forgot it and he said he needed to go potty, brought him to loo, he sat on it but his equipment wasn't down pee went everywhere :(
    He just tells us when he needs to go! Any tips to transition to the toilet would be great!
    Also his nappies at night and nap are dry, when should I stop putting them on him?
    Thanks

You're so lucky! Be grateful that he's using a potty and don't rush the next step! I'm still stuck in exactly the same place with no progress with my daughter the past few weeks.
    More useful advice though: have you seen the princess polly or pirate Pete ladybird books? There's YouTube videos of them also. They talk about how it makes a loud noise but it's just water cleaning the poo and wee away. There's also a book I happened to own but didn't know I had (bought in a set) that's all about a monkey giving up his potty. It's called monkey business. Also, have you got a comfy seat that you could carry around? the likes of the one in ikea.
    Seriously though, you've done great to get to this point.

Kandr I know, he is great! He is drinking a lot here but can still hold it for a good 2-3 hours. Today though he said he needed potty on the side of the road LOL :)

He loves emptying potty in the loo :) I have the the toilet seat and ladder at home. So maybe it will just happen itself at home?

I haven't been in touch with teacher but I guess she wouldn't mind if he is still on potty as said don't worry if he is still in nappies! He is not starting till 1st September. He goes on potty himself and empties it but needs help pulling up & down his pants.

Kandr I know, he is great! He is drinking a lot here but can still hold it for a good 2-3 hours. Today though he said he needed potty on the side of the road LOL :)

He loves emptying potty in the loo :) I have the the toilet seat and ladder at home. So maybe it will just happen itself at home?

I haven't been in touch with teacher but I guess she wouldn't mind if he is still on potty as said don't worry if he is still in nappies! He is not starting till 1st September. He goes on potty himself and empties it but needs help pulling up & down his pants.

I wouldn't stress it. When he's at home I'm sure he'll get accustomed to it. My girl has had two wees on big toilet but doesn't like going to it every time. Doesn't help that it's upstairs and the potty is right there. If your boys able to say when he needs to go and not have accidents and is dry for naps and nighttime that's amazing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I definitely think aim comes with time. My little guy sits and usually it just automatically goes in the toilet. He can stand and do it but dad or myself usually need to hold it for him or it would go over his pants.

Thanks! Was thinking that was the better option but wanted to check. Although at the moment every when sitting sometimes it ends up at funny angles and needs a quick intervention before the wees arrive :)

Our fella has started resisting going :( At first we thought that he was afraid to go on the toilet because the adapter seat moves around so we stuck to the potty only. That was ok for a few days but then he started resisting that.

He tells us when he has to wee but then he refuses to go up to the potty and has to be coaxed up. Then half the time he kicks and screams and refuses to sit on the potty. I don't want to force it too much but I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel completely. Annoying because he has very few accidents etc. We've tried the reward chart and treats but nothings helping :(

Our fella has started resisting going :( At first we thought that he was afraid to go on the toilet because the adapter seat moves around so we stuck to the potty only. That was ok for a few days but then he started resisting that.

He tells us when he has to wee but then he refuses to go up to the potty and has to be coaxed up. Then half the time he kicks and screams and refuses to sit on the potty. I don't want to force it too much but I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel completely. Annoying because he has very few accidents etc. We've tried the reward chart and treats but nothings helping :(

I sometimes give my phone with a game or a YouTube playlist with potty related videos to my daughter. It definitely gets her on it when nothing else will. Or I put the telly on and have her sit near it. Would that help?

• Advertisement

I think this is quite normal Alivia Quaint Weekend. It happened with T and also with L at about the 5/6 week post training mark. My friend told me this is actually really normal and a lot of children go through this at around this stage. It a bit like the novelty of using the kitty or toilet wears off or something? My little girl started doing tiny dribbles in her knickers and roaring if I put her On the toilet. And she was holding in poo aswell. And this was after 5 flawless weeks of her training herself and not 1 wet nappy at night. It only lasted less than a week tho and thank god of resolved itself. How many weeks are you at now? Maybe it's the 5/6 week regression?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I think this is quite normal mrspostman. It happened with T and also with L at about the 5/6 week post training mark. My friend told me this is actually really normal and a lot of children go through this at around this stage. It a bit like the novelty of using the kitty or toilet wears off or something? My little girl started doing tiny dribbles in her knickers and roaring if I put her On the toilet. And she was holding in poo aswell. And this was after 5 flawless weeks of her training herself and not 1 wet nappy at night. It only lasted less than a week tho and thank god of resolved itself. How many weeks are you at now? Maybe it's the 5/6 week regression?

Is there a 1wk regression too? Going backwards here this week :(

My guy woke up this morning and asked to go to the loo (not potty). Also when we went out for coffee went again on loo in cafe :)

He is doing great :)

My guy woke up this morning and asked to go to the loo (not potty). Also when we went out for coffee went again on loo in cafe :)

He is doing great :)

Fair play little man :)

So any of you who have used reward charts, do kids get them? I'm thinking of starting one as a different approach to try move past the hurdle that's stopping us from making any progress in 3 weeks. Do you show the treats before or just tell them it's a special prize?
    We had a regression today and yesterday with zero effort being made. Tried to start from scratch today and had greater success. Might start taking the potty out with us too. Would anyone look sideways at you if you produced it in s park?

I started off with the toys but tbh I don't know how effective they were? After 2 days I made a reward chart and got stickers from in euro land. It was very rough and ready lol lol

I think what worked was he loved going in the potty, emptying it and flushing it?

No one has batted an eye at us with potty out and about. He used it on side of road the other day! I will continue to bring it out and about if he wants :)

We produced out potty in the park numerous times :).

Reward chart and toys haven't made much of a difference here.

Does anyone else's child keep saying wee wee but then when you ask them if they need to go they say 'no', even if they do? My fella is like the boy who cried wee wee, I'm up and down the stairs constantly and half the time he doesn't need to go but the one time ignore him it'll result in an accident :rolleyes:

OH was watching him earlier and he ended up with a poo accident and then a pee accident 10 minutes later because when my little fella said he needed to go and then changed his mind, my OH just said fair enough and left him to it :rolleyes:

Reward chart and toys haven't made much of a difference here.

Does anyone else's child keep saying wee wee but then when you ask them if they need to go they say 'no', even if they do? My fella is like the boy who cried wee wee, I'm up and down the stairs constantly and half the time he doesn't need to go but the one time ignore him it'll result in an accident :rolleyes:

OH was watching him earlier and he ended up with a poo accident and then a pee accident 10 minutes later because when my little fella said he needed to go and then changed his mind, my OH just said fair enough and left him to it :rolleyes:

Yep that's us in a nutshell! Yesterday and this morning were disastrous. I'd ask and literally 2 mins later she'd go on the floor. I went back to basics today and just trying to build a routine around it. I put her on when she wakes, before and after naps, before and after meals, about 10-15 mins after a drink, before and after going out (I will bring her during outings more in future too). I'm hoping that building a routine will make it feel less like nagging. Met with some success this afternoon and avoided the accidents that gave become much more frequent, let's see if it continues. I'll try anything at this stage!!

• Advertisement

I might try to just bring him every hour so tomorrow and see how we get on.

My OH picked up the Thomas musical potty yesterday, thinking that it might make him less reluctant to go. Thankfully it seems to have worked, except he's still looking to wee in the old potty cos he wants to keep the Thomas one clean. Toddler logic how are ya :rolleyes:

Advertisement