Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married 2013 Mortgage TRS

• 02-07-2016 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Cannot find a direct answer on this online so I tought I would try here.
    My wife took out a mortgage in 2008 for our first home.She has always received the allowable mortgage interest relief and will do so until it finished next year.
    We married in late 2013.Am I entitled to TRS also? I have never owned a home or taken out a mortgage.
    Revenue.ie says no new trs applications from Dec 31st 2012.However the wording states TRS can be backdated 4 years for all mortgages taken out prior to 2012.
    As the mortgage was actually taken out by my wife in 2008 does that mean I can make a backdated claim? Or is our marriage date of Sept 2013 considered my mortgage start date making me ineligible?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

No you're not entitled to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

What planet are you on??!!
    Forge83 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Cannot find a direct answer on this online so I tought I would try here.
    My wife took out a mortgage in 2008 for our first home.She has always received the allowable mortgage interest relief and will do so until it finished next year.
    We married in late 2013.Am I entitled to TRS also? I have never owned a home or taken out a mortgage.
    Revenue.ie says no new trs applications from Dec 31st 2012.However the wording states TRS can be backdated 4 years for all mortgages taken out prior to 2012.
    As the mortgage was actually taken out by my wife in 2008 does that mean I can make a backdated claim? Or is our marriage date of Sept 2013 considered my mortgage start date making me ineligible?

Any info appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

What planet are you on??!!

Thanks for your constructive reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

If you don't have a mortgage what do you think you'd be claiming the TRS on?

bee06 wrote: »
    If you don't have a mortgage what do you think you'd be claiming the TRS on?

I have been paying 50% of the mortgage since 2008 but it was in my partners name only.
    We married in 2013 and I was then added.So as of Sept 2013 I do have a mortgage that began in 2008.
    Previous to 2012 a new spouse could claim trs on an existing spouses mortgage if they were newly married.

• Advertisement

I have been paying 50% of the mortgage since 2008 but it was in my partners name only.
    We married in 2013 and I was then added.So as of Sept 2013 I do have a mortgage that began in 2008.
    Previous to 2012 a new spouse could claim trs on an existing spouses mortgage if they were newly married.

She is already claiming the max trs allowable/ available. If there were a syndicate of owners, each does not get additional trs....!

Thanks for your constructive reply.

Well, ask a silly question and all that.....

She is already claiming the max trs allowable/ available. If there were a syndicate of owners, each does not get additional trs....!

The revenue website states the ceiling is 30% to a maximum of 3000 for a single person who purchased in 2008.
    It states that a married couple has a maximum of 6000 euro.
    I am aware she is claiming the max allowable as a single person,that was not my question.
    You have had your non helpful say,jog on please!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oral Surgeon and Forge, please keep replies constructive and civil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

For a definitive answer you're just going to have to contact Revenue directly. Either way you only have a mortgage since the date your name was added, not from when you got together or from when you were contributing to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

You will have to add your name to the mortgage in order to qualify for TRS. You will only be able to back date any claim to TRS to the date you were added to the mortgage. Making contributions to the mortgage holder to pay the mortgage does not equate to you having your name on the mortgage. Why did you think you would be entitled to TRS where you were not a mortgage holder? By all means contact Revenue, but I can't see them saying anything differently.

Thank you all.
    I have just had a reply from revenue TRS section and it turns out I am correct!
    I am entitled to TRS on my spouses 2008 mortgage and can make a back claim to September 2013 when we were married and will receive it going forward until it ceases in 2017.
    Turns out my silly question will be worth a few thousand euros to me :)

Advertisement