Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think people forget the crimes of the british in northern ireland?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭jack923

Inquitus wrote: »
    Everywhere, your OP opens with a load of made up statistics that have no sources cited at all, and the nonsense continues to flow thick and fast thereafter.

If you don't believe me you can do you're own research it's commonly know that civilian deaths by the the PIRA is in the 600s and that includes alleged informers and off duty soldiers etc.

A simple Google search will bring up the statistics for you.

Everywhere, your OP opens with a load of made up statistics that have no sources cited at all, and the nonsense continues to flow thick and fast thereafter.

The only nonsense you could have possibly meant is the British and PIRA civilian casualties which a simple Google search will bring up the results.

If you just don't like the IRA then you can say so you don't need to question common knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:
    Please point out the made up statistics and debate the issues.

Far too much sniping and personal attacks going on this thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Mod:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles

Go to casualties and notice 700 civilians by the IRA that is including all republican paramilitaries, I am talking about the PIRA. civilians killed by the british army is 189 like I said, so am I still making it up or is Wikipedia lying too? I'll provide another source too if you like.

Mod:

This is According to the Conflict Archive on the Internet (CAIN), a research project at the University of Ulster,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army_campaign

This further supports my statistics now am I still making it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jack923 wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles

Go to casualties and notice 700 civilians by the IRA that is including all republican paramilitaries, I am talking about the PIRA. civilians killed by the british army is 189 like I said, so am I still making it up or is Wikipedia lying too? I'll provide another source too if you like.

I was asking others to point out any gaps in your statistics. Please don't take things so personally and the thread will go much better, thank you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This further supports my statistics now am I still making it up?

Please try and be more civil than this. This sort of tone isn't conducive to good debate.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Mod:

You are obviously very anti IRA buy you can at least acknowledge the figures and realise that the IRA and the British army aren't any better than each other.

• Advertisement

I was asking others to point out any gaps in your statistics. Please don't take things so personally and the thread will go much better, thank you.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound malicious I just see it as people clutching at straws.

Mod:

Sorry I actually thought that that was a reply to my post, feel like an idiot now.

Are you going to carry on or is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Are you going to carry on or is that it?

Why are you so curious?

Sand wrote: »
    Why are you so curious?

Because this forum is filled with people who think the IRA are the anti Christs, I made an ignorant thread a few days ago and they were out in droves but they are nowhere to be seen when the figures are in front of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Many posts in this thread fall below the standard of discussion expected here. If the thread continues in this vein, I will have to lock it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Because this forum is filled with people who think the IRA are the anti Christs, I made an ignorant thread a few days ago and they were out in droves but they are nowhere to be seen when the figures are in front of them.

You 'made an ignorant thread'.... Really? Which one?

The IRA are an organisation who employ terrorism as a means to an end.

That's not okay. Don't care which side of the fence you stand on, terrorism, murder, torture are not okay.

You 'made an ignorant thread'.... Really? Which one?

The IRA are an organisation who employ terrorism as a means to an end.

That's not okay. Don't care which side of the fence you stand on, terrorism, murder, torture are not okay.

Terrorism is the only way a weak side can win. 1916 was terrorism by definition but do I think it was wrong? No. The IRA went for military targets it's no different from any army although I'm sure you're much more in favour of drone strikes.

Many posts in this thread fall below the standard of discussion expected here. If the thread continues in this vein, I will have to lock it.

Fair enough, there's not even a discussion going on I don't know why I'm still posting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So is there even a single post about British crimes in this thread? I think that says it all

If I hadn't put the figures in this thread there would surely be plenty of people giving their input.

• Advertisement

So is there even a single post about British crimes in this thread? I think that says it all

No I just gave the figures that the british army killed nearly the same amount of civilians as the Provisional IRA and I wanted to get people's opinion on that.

No I just gave the figures that the british army killed nearly the same amount of civilians as the Provisional IRA and I wanted to get people's opinion on that.

It doesn't matter, just because the BA killed civilians doesn't take away from the fact the IRA killed civilians, and vice versa.
    I doubt very much that anyone condones killing civilians, by any organisation.

bubblypop wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, just because the BA killed civilians doesn't take away from the fact the IRA killed civilians, and vice versa.
    I doubt very much that anyone condones killing civilians, by any organisation.

Yes but the IRA tend to get the most hate and they also started off with a good cause. People should hate the whole war and not just the IRA.

Yes but the IRA tend to get the most hate and they also started off with a good cause. People should hate the whole war and not just the IRA.

I don't understand your motivation at all.
    I don't know why you would think people didn't hate the war?
    Both sides committed atrocities, and we are all entitled to condemn any we see fit.

Do you believe that by making people think of the actions of the British they will somehow be more sympathetic to the IRA?

I don't understand your motivation at all.
    I don't know why you would think people didn't hate the war?
    Both sides committed atrocities, and we are all entitled to condemn any we see fit.

Do you believe that by making people think of the actions of the British they will somehow be more sympathetic to the IRA?

No I just want people to acknowledge it was a war and that the IRA weren't the "bad guys" nobody will call you a terrorist supporter in Britain for supporting the British army in the troubles so why should an Irish person be considered a terrorist supporter for supporting the IRA? I'm just saying the British seem to have weaseled their way out of this one and placed all the blame on the IRA.

No I just want people to acknowledge it was a war and that the IRA weren't the "bad guys" nobody will call you a terrorist supporter in Britain for supporting the British army in the troubles so why should an Irish person be considered a terrorist supporter for supporting the IRA? I'm just saying the British seem to have weaseled their way out of this one and placed all the blame on the IRA.

The IRA were terrorists.
    The British army are a legitimate legal force.
    The IRA are to blame for the atrocities they committed.

The IRA were terrorists.

That just show you're straight forward thinking, do you think the same about rebel groups trying to take down assad in Syria? British soldiers were shopting down innocent catholics before the provisional IRA was even created, you must also think the same of every country who fought and gained independence from Britain, you could also use the same statement for the war of independence of the republic ae the british had the same right to ireland back then as they had in the 70s to northern ireland.

The IRA were terrorists.

The IRA in the early 1900s were also an illegal group.

I'm closing this thread. OP, given your style of posting I'm going to ask that stop starting threads on this subject. This is a forum for serious debate and this thread has fallen far short of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement