Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to tax car online with no pin?

• 02-07-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Just changed car and has nct and insurance...just want to rax it but usual motortax bs in ireland they want a pin!!!
    Do i have to now take time off work to line up and get taxed, or can they just email or text me a pin...??
    All im trying to do is give them money, but they seem to want to make it asawkward as hell..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

did you call them? on the telephone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ham hock

spacekiwi wrote:
    Just changed car and has nct and insurance...just want to rax it but usual motortax bs in ireland they want a pin!!! Do i have to now take time off work to line up and get taxed, or can they just email or text me a pin...?? All im trying to do is give them money, but they seem to want to make it asawkward as hell..thanks

The pin is normally the last 6 digits of the VIN number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

spacekiwi wrote: »
    Just changed car and has nct and insurance...just want to rax it but usual motortax bs in ireland they want a pin!!!
    Do i have to now take time off work to line up and get taxed, or can they just email or text me a pin...??
    All im trying to do is give them money, but they seem to want to make it asawkward as hell..thanks

It's on your log book. Number at the top on the front page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

PIN number is the last 6 digits of the serial number on your vehicle registration cert.
    If you have your email registered against the car, you can request a pin on motortax.ie

ham hock wrote: »
    The pin is normally the last 6 digits of the VIN number

This is only true where it's the first time taxing the car in Ireland. As in new, or just imported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Try this link.

https://www.motarviews.ie/forgot-pin-ui/faces/getDetails.jspx?lang=en

Its to the motortax.ie website, pin retreval section.

Enter in your details and it will be emailed to you.

I used it last week. No hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think the last 6 numbers only works for new cars.

What you do is wait until it shows online as having changed owners and then hit the PIN retrieval button. You can't do it before it's in your name .

colm_mcm wrote: »
    PIN number is the last 6 digits of the serial number on your vehicle registration cert.
    If you have your email registered against the car, you can request a pin on motortax.ie

This is only true where it's the first time taxing the car in Ireland. As in new, or just imported.

The vin was on my log book in October. Not a new car or imported.

Your vin will be on the logbook, but you can't use the vin as your PIN number, except when it's the first time the car is taxed in Ireland,

Your vin will be on the logbook, but you can't use the vin as your PIN number, except when it's the first time the car is taxed in Ireland,

I just did in October with a 08 that wasn't imported. My sister and my Mam bought cars at the same time and did the same.

Right. Except the PIN number is always the last 6 digits of the serial number of the VRC (this number changes every time a new VRC is issued, ie change of ownership) and is only the last 6 digits of the chassis number the first time the car is taxed in Ireland (where there is no VRC for the car yet)

When you go onto motortax.ie to renew tax, you enter the reg and enter the pin, it displays the owners name, address, phone number and email address. The vin is visible on every cars windscreen, it would be a monumental data protection breach if anybody with the last 6 digits of a cars vin could access this information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The pin is the last 6 digits on your log book. Look at the log book number on the top right of the front cover.

Right. Except the PIN number is always the last 6 digits of the serial number of the VRC (this number changes every time a new VRC is issued, ie change of ownership) and is only the last 6 digits of the chassis number the first time the car is taxed in Ireland (where there is no VRC for the car yet)

When you go onto motortax.ie to renew tax, you enter the reg and enter the pin, it displays the owners name, address, phone number and email address. The vin is visible on every cars windscreen, it would be a monumental data protection breach if anybody with the last 6 digits of a cars vin could access this information.

I hear what your saying but I still did it. Car is not an import nor is my sisters or my mothers. When I went on to motor tax.ie to tax the car my info was there when I used the pin that I got off the log book. I'm assuming this is because motor tax were informed of the change of ownership after the logbook and number on the logbook was issued?

The pin that you got off the logbook would be the serial number of the logbook (VRC) as opposed to the VIN (chassis number) of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I suspect this is the PIN no sent on a renewal notice . If you have never taxed the car online, you would get a PIN no in the post,

The pin that you got off the logbook would be the serial number of the logbook (VRC) as opposed to the VIN (chassis number) of the car.

That might be it alright. The point is it can be used to tax the car for the first time after change of ownership :-P

I don't know how new this is but I know I could t do it with my previous car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

testicles wrote: »
    Load of nonsense been posted in this thread...

Step 1: Check here to see if the change of ownership has been processed yet. If it hasn't, you'll have to wait until it has been processed.
    Step 2: If it has been processed, do a PIN retrieval here *
    Step 3: Tax Car

* If the PIN retrieval doesn't work, fill out an RF100a form, and post it to your local Motor Tax office. No need for any days off from work.

There's them that knows, them that think they know and them that know nothing.:)

As you said and if you have your log book, it's the last 6 digits of the number on the top right of the front cover.

If someone posts it in, it will be done in a couple of days, depending on volume.

There's them that knows, them that think they know and them that know nothing.:)

As you said and if you have your log book, it's the last 6 digits of the number on the top right of the front cover.

If someone posts it in, it will be done in a couple of days, depending on volume.

That was my bad. I assumed the VRC and VIN were the same thing lol I'm off now with my tail between my legs!

That was my bad. I assumed the VRC and VIN were the same thing lol I'm off now with my tail between my legs!

Don't worry about it, it's not that big a deal.

Don't worry about it, it's not that big a deal.

Lol your a very patient man. I'll get over it. It's not the first time I've been wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Lol your a very patient man. I'll get over it. It's not the first time I've been wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last :-P

Wow..that was getting fiesty!! I put in last 6 numbers off vrc, and tgat did it...am taxed now..handy trick for next time.
    Thanks everyone

Advertisement