Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

162 Transit Connect ..Tax Private/Commercial

• 02-07-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I am self employed and purchased a new 162 Transit Connect 1.5 120bhp which I picked up yesterday.I am a Ltd company and will be claiming back the vat and insured it commercially through Allianz.

I am just wondering is their an advantage if I privately tax it? I presume the 1.5 would have a similar or lower private tax rate to commercial but would I be right in thinking the guards would have no issue if I was using it for non work purposes on a sunday if stopped and that id be except from doe for the first 4 years and then have to nct it ,if it was privately taxed ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.5 would be cc base tax,nwhich woulud be more than €333

I think you'd still be DOEing it regardless of how its taxed. Revenue don't really care about vans, it's more crewcabs being used as family cars they're (not that) concerned with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

yes, taxing it Private doesn't stop it being a van for CVRT purposes. It would have the advantage that you could use it privately..you aren't supposed to with commercial tax, (not that it ever stopped anyone doing it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Gardai have zero interest in the use of vans outside of so-called business hours. They have even said so publicly. I met a checkpoint in Enniscorthy at 11:30 pm on Thursday night, they checked tax, insurance, CVRT, license, and conducted a breathalyser test. Couldn't have given a rats arse where I was going, or what I was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yes, taxing it Private doesn't stop it being a van for CVRT purposes. It would have the advantage that you could use it privately..you aren't supposed to with commercial tax, (not that it ever stopped anyone doing it)

If commercilly taxed van is used mostly for business purposes, then there is no problem in using it also for private purposes as well. (At least legally)
    Thats unless someone is silly enough to sign a declaration to Motortaxoffice stating it will be only used for business purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I would wonder as well if it's possible to tax a van registered in ltd company name as private.

• Advertisement

Well you could register a car to a company, so probably yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

colm_mcm wrote: »
    1.5 would be cc base tax,nwhich woulud be more than €333

why would a 162 1.5 diesel be on cc not emmissions ?

Because van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

CiniO wrote: »
    I would wonder as well if it's possible to tax a van registered in ltd company name as private.

no problem in registering it privately ,can even do it on motortax.ie for the first time tax ,which you cant do for commercials unfortunately

Advertisement