Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords asking for 3 months rent in advance

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

beauf wrote: »
    You don't seem to. Because you're not applying the same logic to deposits in general, to those for renting. If the renter is invested they are less likely to cause damage. Its also an immediate penalty, that can be recovered. Unlike taking them to court.

Well I do understand the importance of a deposit in rented accommodation seeing as I am a tenant in the same place for the last 5 years and will value my deposit when the time comes to move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

utmbuilder wrote: »
    the problem with tenners with wads of cash is they probably screwed over their last landlord for months to get lump sum they are giving to you, this has the possibility of attracting rouges already gone through the RTB system, and before you give me the whole "i do reference checks" or check the RTB database .. we all know that rarely works

We all know the living costs here and that rents are at record levels for a while. If they have such big wads of saving power why are they not buying? 3 months rent could be almost 5 grand a nice chunk of a house deposit for a first time buyer.

A rich rouge who knows how lack the RTB rules are and what they can get away with is far more dangerous than a standard well vetted tenant

could work... but that extra month could cost you 20 grand,

Using deposits for any thing isn't fool proof. Thus far there isn't an alternative in place. Its normal across the world.

We don't have that. References and vetting is easily fooled in the current system.

Then it needs to be changed, is that not an opportunity for someone to set up a referral system, both ways, lets not forget, there are rouge landlords as well.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Well I do understand the importance of a deposit in rented accommodation seeing as I am a tenant in the same place for the last 5 years and will value my deposit when the time comes to move out.

That is only one side of it though.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Then it needs to be changed, is that not an opportunity for someone to set up a referral system, both ways, lets not forget, there are rouge landlords as well.

The PRTB was put in place to manage rogue LL with regards to deposits. There is also a proposed scheme.

http://www.environ.ie/tenancy-deposit-protection-scheme

The problem is though the PRTB isnt' great for protecting LL's. Even though the LL pays into it.

• Advertisement

The PRTB was put in place to manage rogue LL with regards to deposits. There is also a proposed scheme.

http://www.environ.ie/tenancy-deposit-protection-scheme

The problem is though the PRTB isnt' great for protecting LL's. Even though the LL pays into it.

I do agree that the PRTB has not turned out to be the balanced system that was once expected. And I have seen some tenants playing the PRTB card threat without fair reason.

Its doesn't deal will the large issues. For the smaller issues around deposits it seems to work ok, if slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

it is perfectly reasonable to ask for one month up front one month depositand last months rent. It still doesnt cover the bad tenants... they can cost 12moth to 24 months in umpaid rent plus damage to property... which is not covered by insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Can I just ask for the past 5 years I spent 2 years living with a friend (she was the landlord) and currently paying rent to my partner.
    How would I go about getting 'references' for this? My partner owns a house currently but we will be renting elsewhere - how does he show 'references'? (Employment references aren't an issue!)

I think references are an issue for another thread. Surprised this thread hasn't been closed long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Well I thought maybe since they were clearly lots of landlords posting here that they could answer my query rather than starting another thread! Obviously not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

This tread has already suffered drift and mods will more than likely delete any posts about references. Its a good question so start a thread. You will probably get some decent tips particular to your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Well I thought maybe since they were clearly lots of landlords posting here that they could answer my query rather than starting another thread! Obviously not!

As your query has nothing to do with the topic being discussed on this thread, a new thread would be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

You will still find landlords who accept tenants with no references if they like them.
    Unfortunately you are limited to those as you will lose in competition with people with glowing references that check out.
    Sort of like the situation of getting you first job.
    Not ideal, but not insurmountable.

You still have to provide the deposit though.
    I thin first and last months rent is a good idea. Deposits can be any amount the landlords sees fit too.
    A lot of people think is a months deposit, but if a landlord thinks it would work they could charge any amount they like for a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

asking for 3 months up front gets you a certain standard of tenants that usually work all day and aren't likely to destroy the house. When you see an ad with "3 months up front required" , just read "professionals only" in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

asking for 3 months up front gets you a certain standard of tenants that usually work all day and aren't likely to destroy the house. When you see an ad with "3 months up front required" , just read "professionals only" in your head.

So only professionals have 3 months rent
    This is getting stupid
    A house in my estate was rented out to a drug dealer and raided by the guards
    He had the upstairs and attic converted to grow houses, landlord was surprised as he had paid a year up front and had a nice car and a suit

Money means nothing in regard to a good or bad tenant
    References and interview and getting to know your tennants in the first few months are vital in my opinion

So I think your statement is utter rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So only professionals have 3 months rent
    This is getting stupid
    A house in my estate was rented out to a drug dealer and raided by the guards
    He had the upstairs and attic converted to grow houses, landlord was surprised as he had paid a year up front and had a nice car and a suit

Money means nothing in regard to a good or bad tenant
    References and interview and getting to know your tennants in the first few months are vital in my opinion

So I think your statement is utter rubbish

In general most people are not drug dealers, asking for 3 months rent generally keeps away students, the unemployed, those on RA/HAP schemes. Also high deposit amounts do not phase corporate lettings which would be the ideal situation for most city centre landlords as everything is looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

And with that, this thread has run its course.

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement