Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MTB] Running a club league

Options
  • 02-07-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Myself and one of my club mates have been thinking for a while now about pitching a league format to our club, mainly to spur more members into getting out and pushing a bit harder on our trails, and thus improving their riding (that's the theory anyways!)

We were thinking of an enduro format, so a timed stage (or 2) for every round, we also have a few xc riders, so if fitness is not a problem possibly a lap of the xc loop also for one round.

As the members are usually in at different times and it is genuinely difficult to get enough members together to run a mass event every week/month we were playing with the following ideas:

Main reason is to help riders improve, technique and fitness
    • Thinking of getting one faster rider teamed up with a slower rider
    • Use the combined times of both runs in the overall time
    • This might mean the more experienced rider will be eager to help their teammate improve, as the overall time matters
    • Perhaps the first rounds would really show large differences, but would help with seeding riders after a few rounds

Running the event on an honesty system
    • The organiser would post up the trail detail
    • Members would get a few days to post their times (by email/cloud based spreadsheet)
    • No timing system in place, so the rider will have to record time themselves (using standard stopwatch would be best)

Organise 1 mass event at end of each league
    • Great way to get members out in large numbers and riding together, but as it's not expected weekly/monthly, more members will be able to make it
    • It will be obvious to members how well they are improving

Not to alienate members who just want to enjoy their time on the bike
    • It's up to the members whether they want to participate
    • Everyone welcome to the mass event even just to ride at their own pace
    • No prizes for winners, only posted on the club page for fellow members to see

We have a few members who compete in enduro & xc rounds, and it's really for members who would like to race, but feel they might not be able for it.

Does anyone have any experience running club events that could offer feedback?

I know most clubs would run events on a particular date with timing etc done by members, so this is a bit different, but I think our members will be honest with times, and it's just not easy to get everyone together at one time.
    We would hope running an event like this means that in the long run we get more members looking to meet up and race using a more structured format.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Sounds like a disaster to me,too all over the place and hoping for too many things to click into place.
    Without structure and comittment from club members your wasting your time.
    You said you know how other clubs run their leagues,and best practice suggests your club should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Actually I said I know most other clubs would run their leagues on particular dates and assist with timing, but that's it, I don't know the details, hence why I'm asking, maybe others running leagues could offer input.

We understand we're asking for quite a bit to click into place, but knowing the club it's really difficult to get everyone out at the same time, hence why we were playing with the ideas I mentioned, and why I posted was to lay out our ideas and to ask for advice on what might work, and what wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

The clubs I know of with a successful league run it on the same night every week. Juggle the time for most people if you can, knowing it's on at time A at venue B helps with numbers.

Generally on the same course that has been built with a bit of everything. Swoopy fast, technical climbs, rock gardens and drops.

A savage technical XC loop, you need a loop otherwise any atmosphere you build will be split between the start and finish and having a loop means people will overtake - which is another decent skill to learn.

Handicap can be a bit slapdash, 3 laps for whippets, 2 for regulars and 1 for the lad that likes his pies (me) and then you can stagger each within the lap.

And you have to run it every time, invite other clubs if you need help with numbers.

Once there is momentum it'll be grand but slogging yourself into the ground for 45-60 minutes isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just create a club in Strava, put together your members times..

Other than that, I can't see what you have posted up here working at all or serving much of a purpose...

Cheers for the input Saccades, Tenzor, already thought of using strava, it is an option.

Obviously a club meeting is the way to go of course, just was curious if anyone had further input.

Personally I'd rather one mass event at regular intervals, but seeing as I possibly live the closest to the trails and I haven't been out in about 8 weeks due to work and family commitments I would most likely be one of those who couldn't meet those dates, so that's why I was thinking of alternative formats.

As an observation, is it the honest part people find would be difficult? I know of other sports, golf coming to mind, where basically their whole mantra is built around that format.

In the end, we're talking about people running a pre defined route and posting a time, all the other stuff can be switched around that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is nothing wrong with your idea but without the atmosphere of having everyone around at the same time, the people who are only starting will probably not be sucked in, and those who are great and repractice those routes all the time will have the advantage of just poppin up their best time over the few days.

Main reason is to help riders improve, technique and fitness
    This needs to be done in a group, they might see a finess improvement but no more than just using strava for KOMs. Technique and improvements would be best suited to the feel of a full event if you will. They will alo get more advice from experiencedd riders as well as having technical and tactical issues identified in a fun environment.

Running the event on an honesty system Considering I help run a league and people constantly cast doubts on results by referring to strava, imagine the mis trust of an honesty system when some riders have no faith when they were there and seen the event.
    No timing system in place, so the rider will have to record time themselves (using standard stopwatch would be best) It would be only that what little faith I have in GPS, the riders trusting each other with a stopwatch is risky.

Organise 1 mass event at end of each league One every week, fortnight or monthly, as with any club league, people will not make all of them. Maybe only count the top 80% of rides, so riders can afford to miss a small number without technically screwing themselves.

Cheers CramCycle, I understand the first point, that's why we were thinking about at the very least teaming inexperienced riders up with more experienced ones, to help progression.

Obviously the honesty system can fall down with some people, personally I see your point, I guess it's getting buy in from the members about the main reason to run it, but of course when people get really competitive it can lead to bad sportsmanship from time to time.

Advertisement