Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealer Service

• 02-07-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

I've a 2011 2.0D Avensis.

Its due a 'big service' and I've been quoted 390 euros from main dealer for the following items including labour:
    -Oil + Filter.
    -Air Filter
    -Fuel Filter
    -Cabin Filter
    -Break Fluid change

...and a 'free' car wash (FREE, imagine)

I've no issues with indies except who the **** knows what oil they're going to put into it and even if I buy OEM Parts, who's to say that's what they'll put in...

Am I wrong in thinking this is extortion from the Toyota main dealer?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Where in the country are you?
    Get quotes from the garages specifying what brand parts they're using. You won't get the parts as cheap as your mechanic will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Where in the country are you?
    Get quotes from the garages specifying what brand parts they're using. You won't get the parts as cheap as your mechanic will.

I'm in Limerick. I just wanted to go to Toyota because I'm guaranteed the right grade oil etc will be used and the parts aren't heaps of crap. But is 390 euros an acceptable amount for that work? I can't fathom it. Other main dealers are charging a fraction of that cost for the same work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For motor factor factor stuff, the parts would probably be less than €150. A lot if the bill is labour, which at a Toyota dealer is probably around €100 an hour.
    As the car is out of warranty, there's little value in going to a main dealer, provided your indie puts in decent parts. Even Castrol oil for yours is only about €35 from a motor factors so it's not gonna save you or them much by putting stuff that doesn't meet the spec required into it. I don't think the fuel filter on an Avensis is particularly expensive either.
    You can see most of these parts in the flesh on the car so don't worry too much about not getting what you're told you're getting.

When you say other main dealers, do you mean other Toyota dealers?

and if I was to ask them do they gearbox oil I'd be talking another 100 euros at least I'd imagine. I need to find a decent indy, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Miike wrote:
    I'm in Limerick. I just wanted to go to Toyota because I'm guaranteed the right grade oil etc will be used and the parts aren't heaps of crap. But is 390 euros an acceptable amount for that work? I can't fathom it. Other main dealers are charging a fraction of that cost for the same work.

Just to point out you are not guaranteed anything by using a main dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Toyota has their dealers working off of menu pricing.

Put your reg into toyotaservice.ie and see what you should be paying at a main dealer.

390 doesn't sound too extreme for oil, air, fuel and pollen at a main dealer but an indy could definitely do a good job for less.

Just to point out you are not guaranteed anything by using a main dealer.

I still have a better chance of actually getting the right service done. I've been at the wrong end of "reputable" independent garages before. Sadly, I understand it's a gamble no matter where you go.
    Toyota has their dealers working off of menu pricing.

Put your reg into toyotaservice.ie and see what you should be paying at a main dealer.

390 doesn't sound too extreme for oil, air, fuel and pollen at a main dealer but an indy could definitely do a good job for less.

390 is whats coming back on that website too, I checked it earlier.

I'll just suck it up and get it done :p

I remember when I bought my 407, it was in limerick. Googled around for the name of a mechanic to look over the car before buying.

Anyway, i remember a place i went to was Henry Street Garage (I think that was just the name, did a quick google and that's all it seems to be called). It seemed to be a small business, with a chap doing the work and a girl in an office doing reception duties.

Now, they could be a farcically bad, useless bunch who'll rob the eye out of your head, but I found him absolutely brilliant. Very reasonable on price, seemed very upfront and honest about the car, gave it a thorough look over and a quick test drive in it, and just all in seemed like a sound chap.

So i'd say try him out if you're looking for an indy in Limerick. I used another garage there, too, name of which escapes me. They were a bigger place with a more 'pro' set up (forecourt area, own big premises, etc.) but didn't find them half as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Miike wrote: »
    Its due a 'big service' and I've been quoted 390 euros from main dealer for the following items including labour:
    -Oil + Filter.
    -Air Filter
    -Fuel Filter
    -Cabin Filter
    -Break Fluid change

Oil + Filter - €60.00
    Air filter - €25 (Mann)
    Fuel filter - €25 (Mann)
    Polen filter - €25 (Mann with active carbon)
    That's around €135 for parts. Add disposal of old oil and parts, labour plus around €50 for brake fluid change. You are getting into €250-€300 territory - that's how much an independent will charge you.

The extra €100 is Toyota tax - and it is not that excessive...
    I've no issues with indies except who the **** knows what oil they're going to put into it and even if I buy OEM Parts, who's to say that's what they'll put in...

Am I wrong in thinking this is extortion from the Toyota main dealer?? :confused:

Then bring your own oil... What is the issue?

I don't trust the main dealers when it comes to liquids either after the mess all Toyota garages wanted to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

and if I was to ask them do they gearbox oil I'd be talking another 100 euros at least I'd imagine. I need to find a decent indy, I think.

Be VEEEERY careful with that. It is better to order the correct grade and have it changed at an indie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Learn to do it yourself.

biko wrote: »
    Learn to do it yourself.

I can do most of it myself, I just literally haven't got the time to do it right now. It'll be the last time it sees the dealer anyway, just bite the bullet on get it done.

Thanks lads! :)

grogi wrote: »
    Oil + Filter - €60.00
    Air filter - €25 (Mann)
    Fuel filter - €25 (Mann)
    Polen filter - €25 (Mann with active carbon)
    That's around €135 for parts. Add disposal of old oil and parts, labour plus around €50 for brake fluid change. You are getting into €250-€300 territory - that's how much an independent will charge you.

The extra €100 is Toyota tax - and it is not that excessive...

Then bring your own oil... What is the issue?

I don't trust the main dealers when it comes to liquids either after the mess all Toyota garages wanted to do.

I don't have an issue, I posed a question and you answered it. Thank you

Advertisement