Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving tv - need longer UPC cable

• 02-07-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm a complete novice when it comes to cabling....

My UPC horizon box is connected to the UPC wall box by a cable that you push (not screw) in to each box. I want to move my tv to a different place in the room but will need a much longer cable - probably the best part of 10 metres. It will be going into the UPC wall box and I plan to tack it along the wall until it reaches the horizon box in its new location,

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a cable of this length, where would I buy it and what would it be called?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Power city will have the likes of that, just ask one of the lads.

Coaxial cable and a straight connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Power city will have the likes of that, just ask one of the lads.

Coaxial cable and a straight connector.

That's great Charlie19, thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My UPC horizon box is connected to the UPC wall box by a cable that you push (not screw) in to each box. I want to move my tv to a different place in the room but will need a much longer cable - probably the best part of 10 metres. It will be going into the UPC wall box and I plan to tack it along the wall until it reaches the horizon box in its new location,

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a cable of this length, where would I buy it and what would it be called?

This is a male to female co-ax cable, the male end goes to the TV/box. The question is what is the gender of the connection on the UPC wall box ?
    http://www.cables.ie/satellite-tv/tv-sat-coaxial-leads/tv-vcr-lead-coax-plug-m-to-coax-socket-f-85db.html

50717.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What I'd do is use the existing (push in on one end, screw in on the other end) cable you have, then use an f type joiner on the end of that (as in screw in on both ends) and your longer cable with another f type (screw in) connector on each end. One end into your UPC socket, the other end into the coupler.

If there's ever an issue with signal and it's found to be caused by your warning, Virgin will charge you for a call out. Tell them in the store that it's for UPC Internet and hd tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Cush wrote: »
    This is a male to female co-ax cable, the male end goes to the TV/box. The question is what is the gender of the connection on the UPC box ?

OP mentioned a Horizon box so the connection on the UPC box is female.

I doubt if Power City sells 10m cables, OP might need to buy a length of co-ax from an electrical supplier and put the connectors on himself - male on one end and female on the other to create an extender cable with connectors as shown in your photo.

• Advertisement

The likes of Maplin will have all the required bits. They aren't overly cheap but sell by the metre.

The Cush wrote: »
    This is a male to female co-ax cable, the male end goes to the TV/box. The question is what is the gender of the connection on the UPC box ?
    coylemj wrote: »
    OP mentioned a Horizon box so the connection on the UPC box is female.

Yes, I did say the male end of the cable goes to the TV/box. I omitted wall from my question, for the other end of the cable I was referring to the gender of the UPC wall box connection (m or f), corrected above.

The upc wall box is an f type connector (screw in)

image.jpg

So the OP just needs 2 of the ones on the left, one for each end of the new cable - and 1 of the one on the right to join the new cable to the old one.

Good thing about doing this is you can easily return it back to standard if there's any faults or signal issues where the DIY cabling might be blamed.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The upc wall box is an f type connector (screw in)

The OP said different in his post.

My UPC horizon box is connected to the UPC wall box by a cable that you push (not screw) in to each box.

Horizon box has a push-in connection alright, same as a tv.
    Never saw a push-in connection on a wall socket though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement