Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False advertising by Aldi/Lidl.

Options
  • 03-07-2016 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭

From the UK, against Aldi,

https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2016/6/Aldi-Stores-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_336155.aspx#.V3hHS3rTVoM

And no link to the Lidl case but similar.

Claims of half the price untrue.

Yet these adverts (or variations of) are still being shown in Ireland?

"The ads must not appear again in the form complained of. We told Aldi Stores Ltd to ensure that when making multi-product comparisons in future they did not imply that they were comparing typical weekly shops unless they held evidence that the comparator products (including the mix of branded and own-brand) were a fair and truly representative selection."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I'm only guessing but I'd say it's because its a different country, different companies and no one has complained or if they have complained it hasn't been investigated.

How can a ruling in one country be applied in a different one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's also possible the Latvian or Outer Mongolian advertising overlords made rulings against them, they equally would have no relevance here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I'm only guessing but I'd say it's because its a different country, different companies and no one has complained or if they have complained it hasn't been investigated.

How can a ruling in one country be applied in a different one?

Europe? In fairness the UK leads on advert standards and pesticides law!

Steve wrote: »
    It's also possible the Latvian or Outer Mongolian advertising overlords made rulings against them, they equally would have no relevance here.

The point of the post was to inform folks not to expect "full shop, half price"

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Europe? In fairness the UK leads on advert standards and pesticides law!

You're missing the point that it's a UK judgement not a European one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not disagreeing with your intention there - maybe a better thread title would have been better.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

You're missing the point that it's a UK judgement not a European one.

So Lidl/Aldi can go on making false claims about the cost of a shop?

Steve wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with your intention there - maybe a better thread title would have been better.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Change it then..

I'm not a mod in this forum, I cant. you still can. :)

So Lidl/Aldi can go on making false claims about the cost of a shop?

Not in the UK where the judgement was made.

In this country it hasn't been dealt with so no they don't have to change anything because this isn't the UK and a British ruling has no sway here!

Why don't you make a complaint yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I noticed this in the TV ad comparison. However I also noticed that the comparison was between Aldi own brand vs popular brand products from other supermarkets.
    Sneaky maybe but not misleading.

Amazed that only 3 complaints started an investigation.

PLL wrote: »
    I noticed this in the TV ad comparison. However I also noticed that the comparison was between Aldi own brand vs popular brand products from other supermarkets.
    Sneaky maybe but not misleading.

Amazed that only 3 complaints started an investigation.

How many does it take? Gullible folks that swear blind by them. Sneaky is misleading.

False advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

These Standards bodies have little legal standings. They cannot enforce their opinions on any one.
    The link is not to a judgement , simply an opinion of the advertising industry .

The lesson, ' don't believe anything you read in advertisements

Irelands ASAI is the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How many does it take? Gullible folks that swear blind by them. Sneaky is misleading.
    False advertising.
    If that was here, it would not be upheld because Lidl make it clear that
    Includes a price comparison of Lidl own label products shopped at Lidl Newbridge on 18 &19/04/16 in relation to well-known branded products shopped as part of the campaign. Other selected supermarkets may sell ‘own brand’ products at different prices. Prices checked on 18 & 19/04/16 at Tesco Extra Naas, Tesco Newbridge & Tesco Bray; on 18 &19/04/16 at SuperValu Athgarvan Road, SuperValu Bray and SuperValu Sallins and on 18 & 19/04/16 at Dunnes Stores Newbridge and Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt. Lidl prices and packaging correct as of 19/04/16. Where weights of Lidl products do not match those of branded products, pro rata prices used where necessary. Excludes promotional offers. “Other Supermarkets/Competitors” are other supermarkets from which we obtained the relevant prices for this campaign.

It's unfair advertising but not misleading. It kind of goes to show people are stupid.
    OP issue a complaint about the current Lidl campaign to the ASAI if you feel so strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

They give the comparisons, albeit in very small print.

I dont think its false but its not a direct comparison

Eg coca cola with coca cola

I dont even think its misleading, on saying that I think some of the cheaper (own brand) products are a lot better quality than the more expensive market leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I would have assumed that Aldi\Lidl were comparing their prices with the brand name prices in the other supermarkets in order to really make their point. Did these people really actually think that Aldi\Lidl were comparing their prices with own-brand products from the other supermarkets?

If you look at the pictures in the adverts you can actually see the brands and products used.

http://leaflet.lidl.ie/40ca80e7-c3aa-4466-8f35-09bc95785a9a/html5.html#/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think anybody with a brain in their heads can see the shopping baskets compared are not equal. Tropicana in one and a nondescript juice in another, for example. It's obviously not an Aldi/Lidl basket versus a supermarket's own brand selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bazzy wrote: »
    I dont think its false but its not a direct comparison

Eg coca cola with coca cola
    Even if it was like for like you have to take into account this.
    Where weights of Lidl products do not match those of branded products, pro rata prices used where necessary. Excludes promotional offers. “Other Supermarkets/Competitors” are other supermarkets from which we obtained the relevant prices for this campaign.

They purposely will not include the likes of coke if it is on offer in tesco. The only time I would ever buy coke is when its on offer, same goes for lots of products. I have seen this exclusion on some other independent comparisons. It renders the comparison useless to me, it is the exact opposite of how I shop and puts some supermarkets in a very bad light, e.g. tesco who routinely use this marketing tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

typical shop in Aldi for me is 50-60, typical shop in Tesco or dunnes for me is 80-90. that's buying mainly fresh meats, there is no denying it's cheaper. And when comparing like with like I find it very hard to find a difference in quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd like them to do a comparison with Tesco/Dunnes/SuperValu own brand stuff, see how much cheaper they are then.

• Advertisement

I'd like them to do a comparison with Tesco/Dunnes/SuperValu own brand stuff, see how much cheaper they are then.
    Problem there is that dunnes & tesco both have many price points for the same item, not sure about supervalu. e.g. tesco have everyday value, normal, finest, and often a few others in between. Lidl will often only have 1 item.

I would like to see some independent person doing it.

Tesco appear to reduce many items to price match aldi & lidl too. Tesco "standard" caster sugar is still cheaper than tesco value granulated sugar, even though caster usually costs more to produce. They have limited amounts on the shelf though. Tesco battered chicken dippers are cheap but very rarely in stock in my local.

Their tesco value chicken nuggets cost more per kilo, €4.69/kg vs €3.67/kg for the ones rarely in stock -which are also chicken breast so you would expect them to be a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

seems most people here are assuming Aldi/Lidl are comparing a basket of good purchased in their store vs Dunnes / Tesco / Supervalu

Can anyone point out where they state this as I can't see it.

there is absoluley nothing untruthful about the advert. They are comparing their own brand product against the leading brands - including those they stock.

Wha is wrong with that?

They've always claimed that their products stand up to the quality of branded products (and many of their products have won consumer awards to prove that point) - so if your normal "shop" is a trolley load of expensive branded products, you can switch to Aldi/Lidl equivalent for the vlaue shown in the advert.

You could probably do similar in tesco/dunnes - but they don't have as wide an own brand offering and a lot of tesco/dunnes own brand are inferior to branded products as borne out by the Aldi/Dunnes court case last year.

VincePP wrote: »
    a lot of tesco/dunnes own brand are inferior to branded products as borne out by the Aldi/Dunnes court case last year.
    This is the issue I was mentioning, how dunnes and tesco have lots of the same product of varying quality.

In that court case it looks like dunnes were comparing their bottom of the barrel "family essentials" range to aldis items which is likely to be more comparable to dunnes regular or premium "simply better" range.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

nc6000 wrote: »
    I would have assumed that Aldi\Lidl were comparing their prices with the brand name prices in the other supermarkets in order to really make their point. Did these people really actually think that Aldi\Lidl were comparing their prices with own-brand products from the other supermarkets?

If you look at the pictures in the adverts you can actually see the brands and products used.

http://leaflet.lidl.ie/40ca80e7-c3aa-4466-8f35-09bc95785a9a/html5.html#/6

ALDI won a case against Dunnes , where Dunnes as saying their own brand was cheaper . However ALDI stated they quality is much less and the comparasion is not correct.
    The judge ruled in Aldis favour and as such a comparasion again branded goods may be more relevant than against lower quality own brand goods in other stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

ted1 wrote: »
    ALDI won a case against Dunnes , where Dunnes as saying their own brand was cheaper . However ALDI stated they quality is much less and the comparasion is not correct.
    The judge ruled in Aldis favour and as such a comparasion again branded goods may be more relevant than against lower quality own brand goods in other stores

Important to note that that advert was tryign to make a direct comparison.

In the current adverts by aldi/lidl i is a general comparison of branded goods versus unbranded.

Tesco did similar years ago with their Yellow Pack (might have been Quinnsworh at the time)

Advertisement